• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tipping in New England

OwnReward

I heard a local Providence TV station mention 20% tip is the 'standard'. Is it in this part of the world?

My range is usually between 10% for poor/mediocre up to 20% if the service is excellent, with 15% the usual amount. Smaller checks tend to get a bigger percentage tip just because I'd have a hard time leaving 2 bucks on a 10 dollar check--2 bucks seems too small even though it would be 20%...

How do I define good service? Attentive and responsive but not intrusive, accurate orders, well informed staff. I HATE it when I am asked more than once during the entree portion 'how is everything'. Once is pushing it as well, but I realize most places teach their staff that that is a hallmark of good service (in lieu of being aware of where in the meal the customer is and being able to anticipate their needs.

How about tipping (tip cups) at Dunkin, Starbucks and the like? Do you do it for service issues or is it a place to dump change?

Karen

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

Restaurants would like 20% no question. Do they get it? Sometimes. But putting aside the fancy, more expensive places... I don't see a lot of 20% tipping in the regular mom and pop, diner, and smaller places. I see more 15% tipping from typical New Englanders, 10% if they are feeling especially cheap.

Contrary to the popular belief that better service = better tips, I often do not see that at all. I have dined at places where the service was exceptional and my dinner guests were very satisfied..as the popped off a 10% tip. When that happens and it comes to my husband's or my attention, some extra dollars will find there way in...but often it doesn't come to our attention...especially when you are a guest and someone else is picking up the entire tab.

As for the Dunkin Donut change cups...big subject of debate. When the dust settles I'd say it's more of a place to dump some spare change. I doubt anyone calculates an amount based on the price of what they are buying.

I do 20 percent unless the service is bad. I'm not sure why tipping in New England would be different than any other region. I don't tip at Dunkin Donuts, but do at my local taco shop where they're doing something more than just pouring coffee.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

According to the research conducted by the Zagat organization, released with the 2006 surveys: "Restaurant-goers in Philadelphia (19.2%), Atlanta (19.1%) and Boston (18.9%) are the nation's most generous tippers, while diners in Seattle (18%), Los Angeles and San Francisco (both at 18.3) turn out to be the worst. Nationwide, the average tip has been going up over the last several years from 18% in 2000 to 18.7% today."

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I should add that I think there's a variation introduced by the two possible ways of calculating tips. A lot of individuals tip on the grand check total, which includes the sales tax, whereas tip research tends to compute by the pre-tax bill.

So, for example:

On a $100 restaurant check in New York City there would be $8.62 in sales tax. If a customer left $19 as a tip, that would be 19% of the $100, but 17.5% of the $108.62.

Also, it's important to note that tip percentages are only one factor in determining tip amounts. Another major factor is the check amount. If it costs $15 in New York City for the same meal that costs $10 in the Boston suburbs, an identical percentage tip will be 50% larger in New York City.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We generally do 20% of the total bill...without regard to to taxes.

Higher % when we're out and eating in 3 or 4 places; with small orders in each..can range from 30-50%.

I rarely get less than stellar service, but if I do, I adjust downward...but 20% is generally the base point. I'm usually a regular; or bringing a crowd that has higher than average demands :smile:

In my part of CT (South Eastern) 20% with no regard to the tax, is the usual, unless the service is really bad. It's just expected around here. I think it's more a habit than anything else. A few weeks ago I brought some friends to a well known, fairly expensive restaurant in the area. The food was great but the waiter was horrible. Cork in the wine glasses, thought it was funny when he mixed up the order......it went on and on...water glasses not filled, dessert menu not offered, a long wait to get the check...Anyway, it was my treat even though another friend wanted to get the check. I grabbed it away from her and saw that she was going to give 20% even for the rotten service. I paid and left about 7% and then asked my friend later about the 20%. She told me that she always leaves 20%, no matter what.

Melissa

In New Hampshire the meals tax is 8%, so we usually double it to calculate the tip we leave. If the service is above average, the amount goes above 16%.

As a former FOH and BOH, I know the drill.  20% or more unless things are really out of hand - then it's nothing.

Former FOH and BOH person here too - 20% is pretty standard for me, but if the service is terrible, I'll leave nothing. Or a penny just to let them know that I didn't forget, I just noticed how terrible the service was. Vindictive? Maybe. I did make a living through tips at one point in my life though, and it isn't that hard to be a decent server.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

My standard is 20%, if service is really good and also if it is at a place with really cheap food, I usually tip higher, not more than 25%.

The only time I tip less is if I have a bad experience that is directly a result of bad waitstaff. If there is a problem with the food, I will still tip the same amount.

I worked as a line cook for my senior year in high school, so I've never had to wait tables ... that being said, I knew a lot of the wait staff and how hard they worked. I almost always tip 20%, unless the service is so poor that it's obvious (or annoying). In that case, I leave a tip that is painfully clear that I'm not just being cheap, I'm trying to make a point. Something like $0.10 usually does the trick. Fortunately, I've only had a couple of occasions where I felt this was needed.

I do agree that you need to separate bad service from kitchen problems.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

In New Hampshire the meals tax is 8%, so we usually double it to calculate the tip we leave.  If the service is above average, the amount goes above 16%.

Wow, I guess I'm a cheap fuck. Do you leave 20% to the server at Applebee's who keeps calling you "you guys" all night and who says everything is "wicked awesome", and 20% to the well-informed server who makes excellent wine recommendations and knows something about the food? Not that I've ever been to Applebee's...

As a former manager, meat cutter, cook, line cook, bar tender, service bar tender and waiter, I recognize the pressures involved with running a place. I always like to see people who excell in their food server tasks and understand how difficult it is to keep only those good folks in the field and weed out the rest. It is just a tough thing to do and it wears you down. I usually tip 20% unless there was a problem because I recognize that keeping good people in that business is a challenge on a number of levels. If, however, I get bad service that percentage goes down quickly because I do not want to perpetuate a bad thing.

Cheers,

HC

In New Hampshire the meals tax is 8%, so we usually double it to calculate the tip we leave.  If the service is above average, the amount goes above 16%.

Wow, I guess I'm a cheap fuck. Do you leave 20% to the server at Applebee's who keeps calling you "you guys" all night and who says everything is "wicked awesome", and 20% to the well-informed server who makes excellent wine recommendations and knows something about the food? Not that I've ever been to Applebee's...

Ummm...I don't so much frequent Applebees. I don't even know where there is one near where I live. You guys? :hmmm:

We mostly go out to eat at places that are either a) so cheap that a 20% tip is something like $4 (yay Hometown in Union Square, Somerville!) or b) slighty to very upscale where the server better be well-informed or else I'm going to ask for another (rah rah Troquet in Boston!).

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

I tend to leave 20% as a minimum unless the service was truly horrible. The way I see it, the difference between a not-so-good tip and a good tip is generally only a couple of bucks, and I figure the server probably needs the extra couple of bucks more than I do, so why not be good to the person who has waited on me...

It doesn't mean that you're a cheap fuck..you do what you think is appropriate...and it's certainly within the realm of fairness. No need to be down on yourself.

I've eaten at Applebees once or twice..in Central Vt..with family..inc 2 young kids. Unless the waiter is nasty, I move it close to 20 %...several reasons; the bill is generally small and the $ diff between 15 and 20 is meaningless to me; but is important to the waiter, he's generally not a seasoned pro; like I'd expect in finer restaurants...and it means a lot to him or her..not just $...but job satisfacion..and recognition of appreciation.

These young guys and girls work hard...and I'm more than happy to "round up" but I'd never try to dictate how others shoud do.