• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Extreme Pasta: Beehive Pasta Timbale

Gifted Gourmet

source with recipe and photos

Traditionally, timbales were the highlight of the meal. They were by and large beehive or dome shaped pastries filled with a creamy mixture of sauce, pasta, vegetables and meat. I've heard of timbales with cases made of all sorts of things: risotto, shortcrust pastry, lasagne sheets. They are almost always elaborate and time consuming. A great many of them appear to have a layered filling rather than a casserole-type filling

Say, did anyone happen see the movie "Big Night" in which two Italian brothers served a timpano for guests who were anticipated eagerly but failed to show? This reminds me of their "timpano" which was much more elaborate ... This looks relatively simple and quite stunning when done correctly.

Would you try this recipe for Beehive Pasta Timbale?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Did it once, once was enough - good, but not THAT good. Took two people two days, or rather somewhat more than a day and a half, to prepare for 12 diners.

I don't recall where I found the recipe - possibly in Cucina Paradiso - for some reason that name rings a faint bell. This was in the early 90s, perhaps 92 or 93.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have this old "Cooking with the CIA" cookbook some gave me years and years ago that has a risotto-based timable recipe in it, and I've ALWAYS wanted to try it. It looks so good and so interesting and, dare I say it, impressive. But I it's something I really want to try making with someone, not just by myself, and no one ever wants too. They all think it looks like too much of a pain. :sad:

So, yes, I would love to try that beehive one as well. It looks just as cool as the risotto one.

Edited by MissAmy (log)

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

This type of dish is quite common in older (especially mid-19th century) cookbooks, where the emphasis on food was largely in part the figurative aspect. Often the macaroni was layered verically, which a base of short tubes on their ends.

I haven't made the pasta case version, but I have made versions with the sweet pastry case from Emilia Romagna and also tried to replicate the pie from il gattopardo (as one does).

Actually, they are not that difficult to make. You make a lot in individual ingredients and assemble them, bung it in the oven and make a salad.

That looks really cool. I'd certainly try it. It looks easier to make than a timpano.

I made a timpano for a "Big Night" themed New Year's party that was spectacular. It took two days to make but the gasps of awe from my guests made it worth the effort. It tasted really good too.

Dawn aka shrek

Let the eating begin!