• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cinnamon Knots/Buns

I second the Solly's suggestion. They have 3 locations - one on Main and 28th, one on Broadway just west of Macdonald, and one near the new Canadian Tire on 7th and Yukon. Very good especially if you hit them in the morning when they are warm.

Cheers,

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

If your friend likes bagels, she might want to check out the cinnamon bagels from Mont Royal Bagels. Although a bit over the top for a bagel, these are pretty gooey, sticky and sweet for the cinnamon lovers out there.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I used to go to Grounds for _____ on Alma and 10th for cinnamon buns and corn bread. The cinnamon buns are okay to pretty good, but you get to specify how much frosting you want on top. And yes I believe they will give you a metric assload if you want it.

Speaking of cinnamon buns, has anyone had a really gooey, yeasty cinnamon bun? The best one I've had was somewhere in the Okanagan.

I've tried Solly's, Grounds for (I think) Coffee, and all sorts in between.

Thanks. :smile:

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

I remember when UBC's cinnamon buns were legendary.  The topping is good - but when I was at school (many moons ago) - they would really underbake them to keep them soft.  Ech!  Never been a fan of raw bread dough.

Has anyone had them lately?

Yeah...I grew up eating these as my mom works there, and would bring them home all the time. I also went to school there until recently. The cinnamon buns are OK and aren't underbaked anymore (i.e. they get hard in the afternoon, so I only bought them occasionally for breakfast.) They weren't anything special though, but cheap and filling.

Speaking of cinnamon buns, has anyone had a really gooey, yeasty cinnamon bun?  The best one I've had was somewhere in the Okanagan. 

I've tried Solly's, Grounds for (I think) Coffee, and all sorts in between. 

Thanks.  :smile:

The Cloverdale hotel used to make a fantastic cinnamon bun. When I was an auxiliary social worker and got sent to cloverdale to work, we would trek down to the Cloverdale hotel for coffee and have one of their famous cinnamon buns..(.I remember there used to be write ups in the Vancouver Sun about them). Not sure if they are still there. I got made permanent in White Rock and then N.Delta so those days are long gone but damn those were great cinnamon buns.

Where is Quince??? I adore pecan anything???

I see that Grounds place if that is the place at W.1oth and Alma...my mom lives up that way so I go in that way frequently. I keep seeing their sign advertising cinnamon buns and have often wondered what they taste like. To be honest, I really should not be eating cinnamon buns. I should be eating celery and carrots...

sigh.....

Samasutra

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!