• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can I sell breakfast tacos at a garage sale?

nacho

I've been wondering about this for a few weeks, but haven't had any luck finding answers. Our neighborhood garage sale is coming up in a few weeks (the neighborhood association does the advertising, and anyone who wants sets up in their driveways with their own garage sale, and the neighborhood association publishes maps marking where the houses participating are located). Anyway, I'm thinking about trying to get rid of my junk, but thought it would be fun to make things like breakfast tacos or lunch tacos and sell them as well, along with bottled water and sodas, etc. I'm also watching this thread for additional ideas. Anyone know if this is allowed by the city or state or whoever governs food matters?

As nice and cute as it sounds, just from the liability alone would be cause enough for me. In most municipalities selling food prepared at home is illegal with the exception of “fun” foods; popcorn, cotton candy, hot dogs and soda.

Check with the county health department as the usually oversee food service operations. States like Illinois require each kitchen to have state certified food sanitation managers. Bottled water and soda may require beverage permits from the city and the state may want sales tax to be collected. I’m sure there are other issues like your homeowners insurance not covering it..

Best of luck on the sale I hope you do well.

Living hard will take its toll...

Selling them may be a bigger hassle than its worth. You are better off giving them away and putting a donation cup near your table. Put up a sign that says "Enjoy a free breakfact burrito. Please feel free to make a donation to help offset costs!"

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com

Selling them may be a bigger hassle than its worth.  You are better off giving them away and putting a donation cup near your table. Put up a sign that says "Enjoy a free breakfact burrito.  Please feel free to make a donation to help offset costs!"

There's a lot of things that should be 'under the radar', and this is one of them. If you have people over to your house,(to do whatever-a tupperware party, bbq, garage sale, etc), and you want to sell tamales, by all means do it. I'll buy one!

Frank in Austin

I hate to burst your bubble but you are absolutely not allowed to sell food that has not been prepared in a commercial kitchen. Here in Plano it is a $2000 fine. Chances are no one would turn you in or a health inspector won't be coming upon your garage sale but why take the chance?

Selling them may be a bigger hassle than its worth.  You are better off giving them away and putting a donation cup near your table. Put up a sign that says "Enjoy a free breakfact burrito.  Please feel free to make a donation to help offset costs!"

There's a lot of things that should be 'under the radar', and this is one of them. If you have people over to your house,(to do whatever-a tupperware party, bbq, garage sale, etc), and you want to sell tamales, by all means do it. I'll buy one!

My daughter lives there--I never liked Plano--it is on the edge of civilization.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.