• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HELP! What's fair salary?

Bicycle Lee

So a friend I worked with here in SLC moved out to St Louis last year and opened a restaurant...they were so successful that he's already going to open another location and he wants me to run it...m y position would officially be called executive sous chef but I would be in control of the kitchen, menu, and I gather I would do hire/fire and work closely with FOH management as well. He's coming out to chat this Sunday and I just wanted to see what people here thought...perhaps someone might know what market value of this position should be...

I asked my brother what he thought and he said besides actual salary I should ask for moving expenses and the first 3 months of living expenses to be paid for...he said this is standard for having someone uproot for a job...

thanks in advance for any reply...

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

I would be looking for something with base pay and benefits plus a cut of the profits. I would never run anything where I wasn’t making a cut of the pie. This should be fair to both sides as it allows him to keep the payroll cost down and still provide you with a decent living.

Please also remember that nothing kills friendships quicker than business. The dynamics of the relationship change drastically and people have trouble keeping the two separate.

Living hard will take its toll...

do you think it would be uncouth to ask what he makes, what his pastry chef makes...etc? and base what I think is fair for me from those figures?

I hear ya on the cut of the pie thing...or a chunk of the company...something along those lines....

where is slc? is the new location also in st. louis?

regional differences in restaurant salaries can be very big. cost of living is a big question.

your brother might be right about moving expenses, but i don't think most places (restaurants) would pay first three months living expenses...that's a bit steep, particularly for restaurant folk.

i wouldn't set my expectations that high. since this is a new location, even though their first location is successful, they might be sinking all the profits in the new place and might not have much to spare right off the bat.

i agree with wht that you should be looking for some sort of partnership. particularly if they end up opening more places. that might end up being more profitable than your salary would reflect. if you have any idea what "chefs de cuisine" make in your area, try to compare that to living in the mid-west...remember, st. louis is not new york, san francisco or chicago.

do you think it would be uncouth to ask what he makes, what his pastry chef makes...etc? and base what I think is fair for me from those figures?

Yes, you are correct, don't go there.

And multiplied best wishes on the possibilities with the new endeavor.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

thanks...that thread helps a lot...

I meet with him today, so we'll see what he says. I'll let you guys know. The bottom line is: it'll take me a lot to uproot. I own a home here which I wouldn't sell for this position..and I also am pretty close to having my own business idea take flight. The reason why I would take this job is that it is something I've always wanted to do...the style of food is enticing, the position is enticing...etc...

thanks for everyone's comments