• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Street Food, ideas needed

Chufi

I need some ideas for food that can be prepared ahead, at home, transported to a place close to home ( a couple of blocks away) and then sold (and eaten) on the street.

It's for a festival where most foodstuff on sale is of the brownies and chocolate cookie kind, and the savoury stuff is mostly hotdogs and fries. So I'm looking for something savory yet healthy, flavorful and interesting.

It has to be cheap to make otherwise I'll make no profit :smile:

Another rule is that is has to be something you can pick up with one hand and eat on the go.

Yet another rule is that ideally, it should be prepared the evening before, and taken to the venue very early the next morning (in a cooler)

My ideas sofar:

wraps with roast chicken and tarragon mayo

wraps with marinated tofu, grilled aubergine and corianderpesto.

I'm sort of stuck on the wrap-thing. I would like to do something quiche-like but I'm afraid it won't be sturdy enough.

all ideas welcome!

Edited by Chufi (log)

I need some ideas for food that can be prepared ahead, at home, transported to a place close to home ( a couple of blocks away) and then sold (and eaten) on the street.

It's for a festival where most foodstuff on sale is of the brownies and chocolate cookie kind, and the savoury stuff is mostly hotdogs and fries. So I'm looking for something savory yet healthy, flavorful and interesting.

It has to be cheap to make otherwise I'll make no profit  :smile:

Another rule is that is has to be something you can pick up with one hand and eat on the go.

Yet another rule is that ideally, it should be prepared the evening before, and taken to the venue very early the next morning (in a cooler)

My ideas sofar:

I'm sort of stuck on the wrap-thing. I would like to do something quiche-like but I'm afraid it won't be sturdy enough.

all ideas welcome!

Vegetarian samosas. With a sweet-ish dipping sauce. Guaranteed to sell like hot cakes.

I say stay away from meat and mayonnaise.

hi, there are no rules/laws in the netherlands for selling food?

It has to be cheap to make otherwise I'll make no profit  :smile:

My ideas sofar:

all ideas welcome!

vietnamese vegie rolls (non-fried). It has the rice paper wrapper with cellophane noodles, thai basil, and bean sprouts. I also put in (instead of shrimp) pan fried tofu strips.

As for making it finger food, you need to address the dipping sauce issue. I've prepared the fish and peanut dipping sauces. I take the fried tofu and dip them into the fish sauce before adding it to the roll and add a "line" of the peanut sauce so everything is wrapped (including the sauces).

Very healthy, easy, and portable. Once you have everything prepped, you can roll them very quickly. If you really ambitious, you could think about doing the shaky beef on a stick but my versions of this have not been stellar. Stuff I get at resturant is much better but it is great finger food.

Good luck.

Soup

hi, there are no rules/laws in the netherlands for selling food?
I need some ideas for food that can be

I would like to know the answer to that as well.. My father told me stories of the best steak tartare he ever had was purchased on the street in Amsterdam..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Another wrap type could be Vietnamese Spring Roll..

I also thought of a larb wrap but have not had the chance to make it yet.. Put things like peanuts and lime rinds in it.. Make it pretty spicy..

You could also serve like chicken,beef and tofu pad thai skewers along with the wraps..

We're talking about the biggest national festival of the year.. Queensday.. when a lot of the 'normal' rules don't apply.. As far as I know, the only thing that's not allowed, is for individuals to sell alcohol or to have perishable foodstuffs.. so I can't have a cooler full of raw burgers and a barbecue.. but I can sell cooked burgers.. makes no sense, I know.. but that's Amsterdam...

Also, the night before this festival, is when the festival actually begins.. So by 11 am, many people haven't been to bed, are walking the streets, and are craving something spicy/fatty for breakfast..

I would use flat round "pita" bread that is really thin and can be folded quite easily. It goes well with chicken, avocado, mayo, shrimp, feta cheese, lettuce, and remains fresh for a few hours. With it you can prepare very nice rolls.

If you actually use them, prepare your rolls around midnight, take it easy on the mayo and other liquid stuff, and make sure all the lettuce you use is dry. Use a plastic sheet to wrap around the rolls and lock the flavours inside.

Do not use aluminum foil.

Keep the rolls in a cooler with a temperature of 5 degrees. Avoid lower temperature, as they may freeze.

I wish you good luck.

athinaeos

civilization is an everyday affair

the situation is hopeless, but not very serious

Pita breads filled with either a good vegetarian taboulleh with feta cheese or another taboulleh mix option that has cooked shrimp or chicken in it. Perhaps a hot harissa-type sauce as an optional condiment for adding on top.

You could stuff these to order if you have two people working. I have a nice (non-authentic) version that has lots of basil and some mint in it besides. (I also add, in addition to the feta, carrots, tomatoes, and radishes.) If you want the particular recipe, let me know.

Another Vietnamese option--spicy Banh Mi sandwiches, vegetarian tofu version and sliced pork version.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"