• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheltenham/cirencester - anniversary w/e

The first wedding anniversary shall be with us in just over a month and we've finally decided we want to go to Gloucestershire, and that we don't want anything too rural (thought about Bourton on the Water but I know it's over-run with day-tripping pensioners during the day). Can anyone recommend some nice B&Bs or hotels that aren't prohibitively expensive?

Also, which is 'better', Cirencester or Cheltenham? I know the latter has LCS but there must be other attractions! restaurant recs for these two places would be good too.

Cheers!

Shucks, I've gone all red!!

1 am edit- actually you can read about us in today (Saturdays) Times magazine, or online review http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,632-2111090,00.html

Edited by erica graham (log)

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

We once stayed at The Churchill Arms in Paxford which is just outside Chipping Camden. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but the room was large and comfortable and the food was unusually good for a small inn. I think the owner's wife does the cooking and it was full up on a Saturday evening.

The first wedding anniversary shall be with us in just over a month and we've finally decided we want to go to Gloucestershire, and that we don't want anything too rural (thought about Bourton on the Water but I know it's over-run with day-tripping pensioners during the day). Can anyone recommend some nice B&Bs or hotels that aren't prohibitively expensive?

Also, which is 'better', Cirencester or Cheltenham? I know the latter has LCS but there must be other attractions! restaurant recs for these two places would be good too.

Cheers!

Hmm, there's quite a lot to choose from in the area. Here's a few ideas, hpe they're useful.

In central Cheltenham the George Hotel does a weekend deal and it's got Monty's brasserie and Monty's seafood to choose from which are both good. The "hotel on the park" in Pittville has had rave reviews from friends who have stayed there. If you're looking for a b+b there are quite a few around the northern end of Bath Road - which is handy for the Suffolks area and LCS. In the Suffolks is also 'Brosh' which has had good reviews for it's mediterranean/middle eastern food. The Daffodil, which is between the two, has a great room (it's an old art deco cinema) but the food is just OK. Generally it's advisable to book ahead otherwise you might find the only choice you've got is Zizzi's or Prezzo.

Just outside Cheltenham is the Greenway Hotel which has got a good rep for both accomodation and food and if you're there at the end of May it's handy for the cheese rolling :biggrin:

Edited by Richard_D (log)

The Kandinsky.

My wife had a celebratory Birthday lunch there with friends and loved the whole thing.

It is in the same road as Cheltenham Ladies College. Bayshill Road is fine and wide with trees down the length of it. a lovely position, a short walk from The Promenade and all it's delights.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Thanks all so much for the recommendations. The somewhere to stay patr is all redundant now unfortunately as Mr Woman has taken it upon himself to use the Times/Hotel Connexions offer and got us in the Cheltenham Park hotel for £40 B&B. Have heard some mixed reviews about it but mainly about the food and we'd be staying away from that anyway (am hoping the money saved from accomodation will go towards a meal at LCS!).

So apart from LCS, there's just the Daffodil and Cafe Paradiso@Kandinsky of any kind of note in Cheltenham itself? (ooh and Brosh I have just noticed, thanks Richard_D)

Erica, I have PM'd you :biggrin:

So apart from LCS, there's just the Daffodil and Cafe Paradiso@Kandinsky of any kind of note in Cheltenham itself? (ooh and Brosh I have just noticed, thanks Richard_D)

Erica, I have PM'd you  :biggrin:

To be honest Cafe paradiso is in a nice building, nice atmosphere but it's mostly variations on steaks, pizza and pasta.

One I forgot to mention is Lumiere in the centre of town. (I think it's got a website)

There are loads of little places, for a good vietnamese I'd try Newlands by the Queens hotel (which also houses Le Petit Blanc), for Indian or Thai I'd go for the Ruby or Siam Smile repectively which are just down the road from LCS as is Ole (a tapas bar, but probably not what you want for your wedding anniversary!)

I didn't think to suggest Winchcombe - No5 North St as people have said, also Wesley House is supposed to be good as well.

hope that helps :biggrin: