• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Epazote

I've been on a Mexican food kick lately, and a lot of recipes call for fresh epazote. I don't remember coming across it for sale. Any ideas where to look? I'm pretty sure they don't have it at either of the Latin groceries at Pike Place Market. Thanks!

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I'd read that epazote is common as a weed, and found growing alongside railroad tracks and river bottomland. However, even if it can be found growing in the Seattle area, it may well be less intense in strength than what is harvested in lower latitudes.

If you can bear to use dried instead of fresh (still pretty intense flavor), look for it in your favorite natural foods stores as epazote or wormseed tea.

I've been on a Mexican food kick lately, and a lot of recipes call for fresh epazote. I don't remember coming across it for sale. Any ideas where to look? I'm pretty sure they don't have it at either of the Latin groceries at Pike Place Market. Thanks!

Buen provecho, Panosmex

I think I've seen it at one of the Mexican markets in Burien, probably Guadalupe. If you can't find it, fresh oregano makes a decent substitute.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

tighe, I would be too nervous to go to Burien.

We don't take kindly to folks who don't take kindly....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

If you can't find it, fresh oregano makes a decent substitute.

I have a couple of recipes that call for Mexican oregano, is that the same thing as epazote?

Yes.

I usually see starts for sale at Swanson's (maybe Fremont Gardens, too), if you want to grow your own pot of it. It might be a bit early-nurseries don't have their full selection yet-but I'd give those guys a call.

no, it's not, Mexican oregano has pink flowers and, as a plant, looks AND tastes, entirely different from epazote.

Although some might say the substitution would work, I wouldn't say the flavors are at all similar. To me, that would be akin to saying that, if you don't have cilantro, substitute parsley or oregano

Mercado Latino (near Mr. D's gyros place) at Pike Place has had it. Not sure if it's seasonal, though.

Edited by chadum (log)

This is probably a silly suggestion but have you tried Uwajimaya?

I have been happily surprised lately by their coverage of what I think of as Caribbean/Latin American ingredients. There is obviously a fair amount of overlap due to climate and trade, I guess.

So, it is probably a long shot, and one you have probably already ruled out, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Robin Tyler McWaters

no, it's not, Mexican oregano has pink flowers and, as a plant, looks AND tastes, entirely different from epazote.

Agreed. And botantical research indicates three different animals. Epozote, Greek oregano (true culinary), and Mexican - that is.

The ubiquitous plastic boxes of fresh herbs found in local grocers (Fred Meyer, QFC, Whole Paycheck) can, in fact, be found filled with epazote. I couldn't tell you the brand offhand, but anyone who uses fresh herbs in this area will know the one on sight.

Eric

Useful info on Gernot Katzer's site:

Epazote

and information on both types of oregano as well (move down to the "origins" section):

Oregano - Mexican and European

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

mamster, while you're looking, just a tip, once rubbed it's pretty hard to miss...it goes by "stinkweed" in some parts of the country. Sometimes it's sold in bloom, sometimes not, but the smell is pretty unmistakable. buying dried from a spice shop hasn't worked in my experience, it had no taste, but the stuff I dried myself (after growing it) was pretty pungent. it should be very pungent if you do use dried!

I'd be happy to mail you some if you can't find it, or if you're here during the summer, you can come pick it fresh from my back yard. I get lots of volunteers every year and let a couple grow.

regards,

trillium

While you are on your kick - they have goat (appears fresh) in at least one of the two, yes count them, two, Latino mercantile stores on Greenwoood Ave, North of 85th? And dried epozote, and all sorts of interesting things.