• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

serving gravlax

torakris

Foodman's pictures of his gravlax pastrami from the charcuterie thread, pictures can be seen here, have left me mouthwatering.

Since he so graciously added the recipe to RecipeGullet I must make it for the BBQ party I will be having in two weeks.

The only way I have ever eaten gravlax is on bread, since I will not have access to good bread and don't trust my bread baking abilities enough, what are some other ways to serve gravlax?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Foodman's pictures of his gravlax pastrami from the charcuterie thread, pictures can be seen here, have left me mouthwatering.

Since he so graciously added the recipe to RecipeGullet I must make it for the BBQ party I will be having in two weeks.

The only way I have ever eaten gravlax is on bread, since I will not have access to good bread and don't trust my bread baking abilities enough, what are some other ways to serve gravlax?

Needs a mustard sauce or I sometimes serve it with a Fennel-goat cheese spread. You could certainly serve it on plain crackers (Like Carr's wafers) with either. Or tuck it into a Belgian endive leaf with a dollop of sauce or a blob of cheese. Makes pretty pick-upable hors d'oeuvres out of it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Buy various flavored tortillas and cut them into wedges. Pan-fry them in your choice of high-smoke-point oil.

Top tortilla chips with salmon and creme fraiche or sour cream, and capers and fresh dill.

Like so, but with better salmon:

gallery_28660_3_8281.jpg

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I originally made Marcus Samuelsson's Gravlax and Honey-dill-mustard Sauce but guests felt that the sauce overpowered the saltiness and delicate flavor of the gravlax ... now I serve it plain or with a soft creme fraiche which doesn't seem to obscure the flavor. I have served it on melba toast or rye bread.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Gravlax also goes very well on blini, which are very satisfying and easy to make. I love the creme fraiche and fresh dill suggestions too. BTW, that's beautiful, Marsha. Is it a creation of yours?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Gravlax also goes very well on blini, which are very satisfying and easy to make.  I love the creme fraiche and fresh dill suggestions too.  BTW, that's beautiful, Marsha.  Is it a creation of yours?

=R=

Yeah, that's a standard butler-passed HD on the catering menu where I work. If only each and every one was as carefully styled as that one was. Hee hee.

Blini's a great idea, though. Personally, I'd rather eat it on a blini than a tortilla chip. For catering, I always try to imagine eating stuff while wearing a beaded party dress, with a tiny purse in one hand and a glass of champagne in the other - and in that case, a blini would be neater than a crispy tortilla chip. Probably taste better, too.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

When choosing crackers, the exceedingly thin Finnish-style rye crackers add the most pleasant brittle contrast to the buttery fish. And don't forget the Linie aquavit.
--Open-Face Chewy Rye Bread Sandwiches. Brush the bread with leftover Scandinavian Mustard-Dill Sauce; top with thin gravlax slices; dot with sour cream; drizzle with more sauce. Garnish with dill sprigs. 

--Open-Face Chewy Pumpernickel Sandwiches. Spread the bread with a thin layer of unsalted butter ...

and many more ideas on serving from this source

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks for the ideas!

I am not sure why I didn't think of crackers... :hmmm:

I like the Belgian endive leaf idea as well, I might try the blinis when it isn't going to be so many people.

Anything else? :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Wrap a slice around one of those long French breakfast radishes. Dip the radish into some dilled (or chived) creme fraiche so the salmon will stick.

Half bake some small pizza doughs beforehand. Finish them off, smear with aforementioned creme fraiche while still hot, top with gravlax and minced chives and slice.

Treat it like real pastrami. Buy some of that mini cocktail rye. Make lil open face reuben-type thingees with some crunchy cabbage slaw. The slaw must be mild-flavored so as not to overwhelm the salmon. Maybe napa cabbage would work? Or fennel, maybe even better?

Use a slice of roast potato for a canape, and do the creme fraiche/salmon thing.

That's all I got.