• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me use up my bar

Ktepi

I'm moving in May, and coincidentally my liquor supply was getting low and scattered as it was. What I have in the house right now ... well, it's an odd mix. I can't afford to buy anything new right now, both because of moving expenses and because I'm moving somewhere with much cheaper alcohol, so it would just feel silly.

So I'd like to use up as much of the following as I can, rather than move them with me. Amounts are estimates. In a lot of cases, I'd bring it with me if the amount weren't so small -- seems silly moving so many mostly-empty bottles.

I can pick up basic cheap mixers -- Coke, juice -- but like I said, I'm not going to buy gin, tequila, any new liquor until I move. I have a couple bottles of cheap spumante as well.

I cook with the vermouths, so those can always be used up that way.

- - -

Old Overholt rye whiskey: about a fifth of a 750ml bottle. My inclination is to use this for Sazeracs. (The small amount of absinthe I have is not on the "use this up before I move" list! But I can spare enough for Sazeracs, certainly.)

Blanton's bourbon: maybe 3 shots

Prichard's spiced rum: 2 shots?

Strawberry-infused Sauza tequila: 1 shot

Spiceberry-infused vodka: about 250 ml. Spiceberries taste kind of like a cross between peppercorns and allspice. The vodka is slightly sweetened to take off the peppercorn-like bitterness.

Citrus-infused vodka (it's a kumquat thing): about 250 ml.

Limoncello: maybe a full wine glass's worth.

Triple sec: same as the Limoncello. I forget the brand, but it's one of the cheaper ones, your basic triple sec for margaritas (except I haven't got tequila).

Noilly Prat dry vermouth: 250 ml

Martini and Rossi rosso vermouth: 100 ml?

Heavily spiced infused rum-based liqueur: 150 ml or so. I made it for hot cider in the winter -- about as sweet as limoncello, spiced with cloves, cinnamon, ginger, mace, peppercorns, grains of paradise.

In addition to the ordinary bar ingredients -- Peychaud's, Angostura, Regan's orange bitters -- I have Unterberg bitters, some so-so homemade habanero bitters, and rich syrups left over from candied fruits in the following flavors: cranberry-rhubarb, strawberry-blood orange, habanero, kumquat. Nothing in this paragraph needs to be used up, I'm just pointing out that it's available.

Ideas? There are always obvious things to do with rum and bourbon, but right now my hand is kind of hovering over them, waiting to see if I should use them in drinks that use up the other ingredients.

Strawberry-infused Sauza tequila: 1 shot

with triple sec (which you list), ice and strawberries (frozen are fine),

there is a frozen strawberry margarita for one, waiting to happen.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I'd pour it all in one big bottle and take it with me. Easier to move that way. Reserve the new concoction for a guest that answers the what'll-ya-have question with, "Oh... I'll drink anything."

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

These are some excellent suggestions (...except maybe the big bottle :)). I think I'll do the kaipiroshka tonight, and see about picking up strawberries tomorrow for the margarita.

The habanero bitters are something the idea for which I got from eGullet -- I had these amazing habaneros from the farmer's market last summer and was trying to do as much as possible with them. I'm not sure they work as bitters, per se, but they're a nice addition to margaritas and would presumably work in bloody Marys, too.