• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pineapple Cake Filling

FoodMan

I am in charge of making a coconut cream cake with a pineapple filling. I do have the coconut cake part down, but I am not sure how to incorporate the pineapple into the filling. My thought is to make a buttercream and fold in sweet pineapple chunks. But, do I use canned pineapples or should I use fresh and cook/sweeten them myself? I am also worried about the filling turning too wet. So another idea is to simply layer sliced pineapple between the cake layers and top with the buttercream filling.

Anyone ever done this before? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I would take crushed pineapple and turn it into a thick filling with cornstarch or tapioca. This will give you a straight pineapple flavor not masked by anything else.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I would take crushed pineapple and turn it into a thick filling with cornstarch or tapioca.  This will give you a straight pineapple flavor not masked by anything else.

thanks for all the suggestions so far...they all sound good and this cornstarch idea just gave me another one! Maybe a pastry cream base with lots of crushed pineapple.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I used to make a two layer white cake with pineapple filling and sour cream coconut icing for one of my restaurants.

Pineapple filling for two layers: 1/3 C. cornstartch, 3/4 C. sugar, 3 T. orange juice, 1 t. grated orange zest, 1 lb. 4 oz. can crushed pineapple, undrained, and 1/2 C. butter, cooked until thick and cooled.

Icing was 1 C. sour cream, 1 C. coconut, with 1 C. whipped cream folded in. Pineapple went between layers and on top, with icing on sides and 1" border around top outer edge.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I used to make a two layer white cake with pineapple filling and sour cream coconut icing for one of my restaurants.

Pineapple filling for two layers:  1/3 C. cornstartch, 3/4 C. sugar, 3 T. orange juice, 1 t. grated orange zest, 1 lb. 4 oz. can crushed pineapple, undrained, and 1/2 C. butter, cooked until thick and cooled.

Icing was 1 C. sour cream, 1 C. coconut, with 1 C. whipped cream folded in.  Pineapple went between layers and on top, with icing on sides and 1" border around top outer edge.

Yum, that sounds like a great combination. Thanks for sharing it. I could also picture lime, maybe kirsch, as a flavor variant in the pineapple filling.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"