• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All about Tequila

Damian

I forgot to include that I've tried Patron Silver as well. Again, it's good for an unaged tequila, but not something I'd buy over the reposados I like. To date, it is the easiest to drink of the silvers I've tried, but with that smoothness seems to be a bit of a lack of flavor. Maybe the bartender just had too much ice in the glass. Maybe I'll try it chilled, not on the rocks.

When we had more silvers around the house, we stuck them in the freezer for another flavour profile all together - a little more peppery.

Gotta love that peppery flavor of tequila. What I don't like it the ones that seem to be overly smoky, like you're licking an ash tray. That is what Cazadores and Cuervo Tradicional tasted like - not that I've ever actually licked an ash tray.

What I don't like it the ones that seem to be overly smoky, like you're licking an ash tray. That is what Cazadores and Cuervo Tradicional tasted like

Your comment about Cazadores got me thinking. I have had an on again off again love affair with Cazadores and specifically for the overly smoky notes you mention. It's funny I'm not noticing that these days and am wondering if tequila like wine can change from year to year, harvest to harvest, depending on the weather, how the pinas are roasted, the people in charge, etc.

What do you think? Do you think there is a possibility or is it just my taste buds?

In the freezer right now: Tres Generaciones. I love that. I drink it straight as a sipper.

I like Cazadores as well. I used to love Herradura when we could go down to Laredo and bring it back for $14 a liter. I also like El Tesoro a lot.

I think the flavor profiles of a traditionally distilled blue agave tequila can change from year to year. Don't you?

What I don't like it the ones that seem to be overly smoky, like you're licking an ash tray. That is what Cazadores and Cuervo Tradicional tasted like

Your comment about Cazadores got me thinking. I have had an on again off again love affair with Cazadores and specifically for the overly smoky notes you mention. It's funny I'm not noticing that these days and am wondering if tequila like wine can change from year to year, harvest to harvest, depending on the weather, how the pinas are roasted, the people in charge, etc.

What do you think? Do you think there is a possibility or is it just my taste buds?

I would think its a possibility that the tequila could vary by year, especially, like foodi52 said, the ones distilled using traditional methods. There are so many factors that contribute to the final product - from the agave itself to production methods to the oak barrels used (unless unaged or course).

In the freezer right now: Tres Generaciones. I love that. I drink it straight as a sipper.

I like Cazadores as well. I used to love Herradura when we could go down to Laredo and bring it back for $14 a liter. I also like El Tesoro a lot.

I think the flavor profiles of a traditionally distilled blue agave tequila can change from year to year. Don't you?

Which Tres Generaciones is it you like, the anejo or plata?

Generally, I'll echo the sentiments of those who prefer less wood in their tequila. That said, my favorite is Orendain Anniversario Anejo. It seems to balance everything very nicely and makes for good sipping. Apart from that, I like Herradura Silver, particularly with sangrita.

Mike

I would love to get some recommendations for decent and reasonable 100% agave tequilas.

One of the things which has frustrated me is the inflation and expansion of the tequila prices and brands.

I would love to know the names of some decent sub $30 traditionally made silver/blanco tequilas.

Are there any bargains in tequila?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I would love to get some recommendations for decent and reasonable 100% agave tequilas.

One of the things which has frustrated me is the inflation and expansion of the tequila prices and brands.

I would love to know the names of some decent sub $30 traditionally made silver/blanco tequilas.

Are there any bargains in tequila?

The only sub $30 silver I can recommend is 1800 Silver. For around $25 in PA, its good buy. I've had better silvers, but not by much, and not nearly as inexpensive.

Alot of people like Sauza Hornitos as a budget tequila, and while its a reposado, it is very light on the oak. I prefer the 1800 Silver over Hornitos for shots or mixing, but thats just my preference.

Another 100% agave silver under $30 is Milagro, but I've never had it so I can't comment.

Edited by alphaiii (log)

Alot of people like Sauza Hornitos as a budget tequila, and while its a reposado, it is very light on the oak.  I prefer the 1800 Silver over Hornitos for shots or mixing, but thats just my preference. 

Haven't had the 1800. Thanks for the recommendation, it will go on the shopping list.

I used to buy Sauza Hornitos. I just haven't been able to bring myself to buy it in the new bottle/label style. The old one was so cool and beautiful, with the picture on the back of the label! Actually, I dislike the almost all the new style bottles in the Sauza line.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I just found out that Sauza is now making a Tres Generaciones Reposado, to go with the Plata and Anejo. I went to my local PA liquor store to see if they can order one in for me, since of course, it's not available anywhere in the western half of the state right now. I'm crossing my fingers because I'd really like to try this one.

Anyone else know Sauza was making this tequila?

Hi all, thought I'd share this. Lately it's been oppresively hot here in VA so I've taken a liking to the following tequila drink which I think I first saw made on NapaStyle on the Fine Living Network. It's the perfect thing in hot weather:

2oz of Anjeo Tequila (I'm using Herradura or Don Julio, Silver tequila would work too)

The juice of half a lime (I use a whole one if there isn't a ton of juice)

Then fill the rest of the glass with Ruby Red Grapefruit juice.

Really refreshing.

Cheers

Another 100% agave silver under $30 is Milagro, but I've never had it so I can't comment.

I've never had Milagro silver tequila either, but for what it's worth, I really like their reposado.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

I've never had Milagro silver tequila either, but for what it's worth, I really like their reposado.

I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a bottle of the Milagro Select Barrel Reposado. The bottle with the hand blown agave inside of it is a real eye catcher. I'm just not sure if the tequila inside warrants the $55 price tag. I've tried to find some reviews of this stuff but haven't had any luck. Has anyone here tried it?

That's the one I've had! It's excellent! I can't decide if $55 is a good price or not. I'd say it's up there, certainly. For comparison, I was paying $9.50 for shots at Oyamel (Tequila list there, but out of date), and would do it again. :wink:

Crikey....turns out Virginia ABC does have the Milagro line. Didn't see it when I was there the other day. I don't know where you're getting the blanco for $30, but here it's $39.90, according to their website! That had better be pretty good!

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

That's the one I've had! It's excellent!  I can't decide if $55 is a good price or not.  I'd say it's up there, certainly.  For comparison, I was paying $9.50 for shots at Oyamel (Tequila list there, but out of date), and would do it again.  :wink:

Crikey....turns out Virginia ABC does have the Milagro line.  Didn't see it when I was there the other day.  I don't know where you're getting the blanco for $30, but here it's $39.90, according to their website! That had better be pretty good!

Well I'm gonna have to pick up a bottle of that Milagro sometime then. I've been wanting to for some time anyway. I just wanted to hear "it's good" from someone else first.

The Milagro Silver was 24.99 here in PA, but it's recently gone up to 27.99. Seems that's still a good price though.

I picked up a bottle of Corazon Reposado today - impulse shopping I guess.

A little more sweetness and caramel flavor and alot less pepper than my current favorite, Cabo Wabo Reposado. It's nice and smooth, but I wouldn't mind it a bit more peppery. Also, it has a slightly bitter aftertaste that is a little weird.

Overall, its a good tequila though, but there are a couple other reposados I'd pick first - Cabo and El Tesoro.

Hi all, thought I'd share this. Lately it's been oppresively hot here in VA so I've taken a liking to the following tequila drink which I think I first saw made on NapaStyle on the Fine Living Network.  It's the perfect thing in hot weather:

2oz of Anjeo Tequila (I'm using Herradura or Don Julio, Silver tequila would work too)

Really refreshing. 

Cheers

This reminds me of a drink from Killer Cocktails, the Paloma, which uses grapefruit soda instead of the grapefruit juice, and includes a pinch of salt in the drink. It's great, as well.

I have to admit that I really only use tequila for mixing, which is why I've remained silent on this thread. I like Sauza Hornitos, and as I can usually find it on sale for less than $15, that's what I stick with.

This reminds me of a drink from Killer Cocktails, the Paloma, which uses grapefruit soda instead of the grapefruit juice, and includes a pinch of salt in the drink. It's great, as well.

My summer drink of choice lately has been gold tequila and Fresca. Quite refreshing!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hi all, thought I'd share this. Lately it's been oppresively hot here in VA so I've taken a liking to the following tequila drink which I think I first saw made on NapaStyle on the Fine Living Network.  It's the perfect thing in hot weather:

Really refreshing. 

Cheers

Interesting, any clue how one procures grapefruit soda or even makes it themselves? Would it just be a simple combination of soda water and grapefruit juice?

Really refreshing. 

Cheers

Interesting, any clue how one procures grapefruit soda or even makes it themselves? Would it just be a simple combination of soda water and grapefruit juice?

Fresca is a grapefruit soda, as is Squirt, but I think Squirt is way too sweet.

Edited by alphaiii (log)

Interesting, any clue how one procures grapefruit soda or even makes it themselves?  Would it just be a simple combination of soda water and grapefruit juice?

GUS (Grown Up Soda) flavors include Star Ruby Grapefruit. I've not tried that flavor, but I've had the Crimson Grape and Meyer Lemon flavors, and they really are superb. Crisp, fruity, just barely sweet. Grown up sodas indeed.

Christopher

My summer drink of choice lately has been gold tequila and Fresca.  Quite refreshing!

Bless you, woman! I couldn't believe that nobody had mentioned Fresca as a great mixer! :biggrin: I love ANYTHING grapefruit.

There is another grapefruit soda that I don't know the name of...they sell it at Trader Joe's; I'll try to get the name for you and post it. Edit: HANSEN'S. Came to me as I hit Post.

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."