• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All about Tequila

Damian

That would be the one, I'm guessing. Cabrito means little goat. The one made by the same people with the stag on it is good too! I've never tried the moose version. And you can buy them at some CA Costcos. I know because that's where I bought the bottle that's sitting in our kitchen as I type.

regards,

trillium

I enjoy top shelf Tequilas.......Anyone else?

YES. I have to say one of the finest tequilas I've ever had was El Conquistador. If anyone in the Chicagoland area comes across it, please email me. I have not found anyone yet who carries it.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

THANK YOU :smile:

I had checked Sam's long ago when I first had El Conquistador and they did not stock it. Quite frankly I had given up my search.

Let's see, about tomorrow and the cooking class. I leave my house, go to Sam's, pick up a bottle, be at your place by 2, It can work! Not promising, but I hope to pick up a bottle before I show.

I had checked Sam's long ago when I first had El Conquistador and they did not stock it. Quite frankly I had given up my search.

Let's see, about tomorrow and the cooking class. I leave my house, go to Sam's, pick up a bottle, be at your place by 2, It can work! Not promising, but I hope to pick up a bottle before I show.

:cool:

Well I did make the trip to Sam's before guajolote's Mexican cooking class and they did have El Conquistador tequila.

It was as smooth as I remember, incredible stuff.

guajolote's sangritas elevated the enjoyment another notch.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cabo Wabo.....Chris mentioned the Anejo but I much prefer the reposado. It has a smooth sweet start like a good tequilla but a black pepper finish like nothing I've had before.....AWESOME!

The tequilla with the stag on it is Cazadores. It's a good $30 bottle. All the Mexicans I know around here go nuts for it and are more then happy to give you a $20 to get them a bottle if you are heading to Tijuana.

Scott

Cabo Wabo.....Chris mentioned the Anejo but I much prefer the reposado. It has a smooth sweet start like a good tequilla but a black pepper finish like nothing I've had before.....AWESOME!

The tequilla with the stag on it is Cazadores. It's a good $30 bottle. All the Mexicans I know around here go nuts for it and are more then happy to give you a $20 to get them a bottle if you are heading to Tijuana.

Scott

I like Cazadores and Tenoche (which comes in a ceramic bottle that is a pretty cool bonus with some good tequila). I noticed in Mexico, if I had my trabjolleros over, they would always go for the Cazadores if they were given a choice of several good top shelf tequilas. It was also much better priced in Mexico than in the US, still a premium there, in relative terms, however.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I brought a bottle of Don Julio Blanco back from Mexico last August. I used it in Margaritas with Cointreau. Those were the Smoothest Margs I've ever consumed. :cool:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

• 2 months later...

A buddy of mine is coming back into town soon and a couple of us are going to get together. For some reason the plan is to do tequila shots (yeah, I know, this is probably a bad idea to start with). Anyway, we are all super poor college kids, and I was wondering what the most "budget" minded tequilla's are? For instance I like Bourbon (good stuff), but if I was new to it I probably wouldn't know any better and would go out and buy a bottle of Jack (Yeck!) yet I personally think that Old Crow tastes just as good for 1/3 of the price (not that I am much of an old crow fan either). So I don't want to go out and buy a bottle of overpriced Cuervo Gold if I can get something of similar (equally bad) quality for much cheaper.

So, complete the following analogy...

Jack Daniels : Old Crow :: Jose Cuervo Gold : ________

Also while I know that pretty much every cheap (ie under $15 for 750 ml) tequila I buy is going to be pretty awful, is there anything somewhat decent? I don't want the worst, the hangover is going to be bad enough anyway...

Of the more economic end of the tequila spectrum, hmmmmm.

Margaritaville?

Sauza?

But those are close in price range to Jose Cuervo Especial. (about $12.50 +/- $2.00 for a 750 ml)

In the swim up pool bar that I worked a few summers we used La Prima Gold, super cheap, for our house/well brand and made literally zillions of margaritas with it.

Spend the extra $5.00 or so, you're head will thank you thank you the next day! :raz:

edit to add: El Toro is not that much cheaper, and that is some tough stuff to drink!

Edited by beans (log)

Cuervo Gold is actually cheaper than most of the ones that have been mentioned. If you're doing shots, I wouldn't recommend going below this, although Sauza Gold is probably just as good (bad?) for sometimes a cheaper price... A local liquor store around here has a deal where you can get a 1.75L of Sauza Gold and they throw in 2 liters of Sauza Margarita mix for free... I think some of the other cheap brands of gold (Montezuma?) will probably do. Trust me - I know, I can't afford the expensive stuff either! I don't shoot the cheap stuff (or the expensive stuff) though, but use it to make big pitchers of margaritas for parties... So I'm sure there's a taste difference when you are shooting. But Cuervo Gold isn't really know to be that good anyway (the "gold" color is fake), so you can probably go with a cheaper gold tequila and do just fine...

Forget the budget tequilas, unless you're making fruity umbrella drinks. :laugh: Girl! Drink! Drunk! :laugh:

For good old-fashined sippin' and shootin', you can't beat a good midrange mezcal. Don't worry, the frathouse myths are bull@#$%. Mezcal is not hallucinogenic or mystical. In fact, the halfway decent ones are closer to tequila than, say, Christian Brothers is to Hennessey. Most of them are even smoother than the price-comparable tequilas, and each one has its own unique notes of honey and black pepper (not that these ingredients are used in the distillations; they just show up on their own).

Give Lajita or Monte Alban a try if you can't find anything else (these are the most common brands at least in Texas) or Gusano de Oro/Rojo if you can find it. Mighty fine sippin' for $20 a bottle!

Oh, by the way, there a few out there that are simply foul. Think soy oil mixed with rubbing alcohol. Anyone had a bad experience with one? I'd love to hear about it.

Edited by QuinaQuen (log)

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

Of the more economic end of the tequila spectrum, hmmmmm.

Margaritaville?

Sauza?

But those are close in price range to Jose Cuervo Especial. (about $12.50 +/- $2.00 for a 750 ml)

In the swim up pool bar that I worked a few summers we used La Prima Gold, super cheap, for our house/well brand and made literally zillions of margaritas with it.

Spend the extra $5.00 or so, you're head will thank you thank you the next day! :raz:

edit to add: El Toro is not that much cheaper, and that is some tough stuff to drink!

That's the crux of the flux, and MR dux or RNot dux. What you use for ritas is mighty different from what you'll sip on. And if you're talking ritas, the booze isn't nearly as important as what you're mixing it with. Would you believe Jager ritas going undetected because of a great mix?

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

someone mentioned bad tequilla experiences...........during the summer between my junior and senior year in high school i was at a party and bonged between 5 and 10 shots of tequilla when i was quite drunk already, and had also been hitting up the 'ol grandad. i woke up in my car in a town 30 miles away outside a girl i knew's house, whose parents were very angry at me for banging on her door at 5 am apparently. also, my friend brock and i apparently tried to wake up some other girls we knew, and they threw us out, and i fell down a flight of stairs. We threw five bikes into the the river and brock was throwing beer bottles through house windows. stay away from that nasty stuff, im amazed i survived high school

"yes i'm all lit up again"

We threw five bikes into the the river and brock was throwing beer bottles through house windows.

:shock: Hey! My bike!!!!

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson