• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All about Tequila

Damian

Am constantly looking to stock the liquor cabinet with good things. It occured to me that I am missing a tequila.

Any favorites out there?

I don't often drink the stuff, but recognize that is an essential for certain guests. In the past I have enjoyed Sauza Commemorativo, but I confess my ignorance on the subject of worthy tequilas. Can anyone begin my education?

Anejo tequilas are most likely to impress. :cool: Avoid Cuervo Gold, or just Cuervo in general, except for their "Reserva de la Familia."

Patron Anejo -- Good! About $50 per bottle.

Cuervo Reserva de la Familia -- Good! Can't remember the exact price, but it was in the luxury glass case in the front of the liquor store.

Herradura Seleccion Suprema -- VERY good! Like drinking clarified butter. Very oaky, however, for tequila. About $260 (!) per bottle.

Anything by Casa Noble is reputed to be excellent.

My personal favorite is the Cuervo Reserva de la Familia. It is usually very expensive $75 or up. But the bottles are numbered by production quantity(usually a couple of thousand). Plus it comes in a cool painted box. I have several different boxes. They showcase mexican artists....way cool. The tequila itself is very good.

Thanks all for the suggestions - looks like I'll pick up a bottle of the Cuervo Reserva for sipping and a bottle of Sauza or something else a step up from regular Cuervo for mixing. Cheers!

(More suggestions welcome!)

Patron Silver in my opinion is one of the best mass market tequilas avalaible, its 100 percent agave and is not that expensive.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If you can get a hold of it, Herradura Antiguo Reposado, is "da bomb". Unfortunately it can only be bought in Mexico. Extremly smooth.

And if you like a silver, Herradura "Cristeros", new on the market is great.

As far as a tequilla house goes Herradura is the best. However we all like different styles so for spicy I like Chinaco or El Tesoro; for sipping its Herradura Anejo or Seleccion Suprema, Cuervo Reserva de la Familia, Sauza Gran Reserva, Patron Reposado; for mixing Sauza Commemorativo, Patron Silver, Don Julio Blanco.

Back in the mid-70's we used to drive to Laredo , walk across the border and bring back the two allowed bottles. We'd do this 2 or 3 times a day. I got hooked on Herradura....it cost $14 for 750 ml back then. Supposedly, when the Japanese discovered tequila, the price zoomed up. Does anyone know if this is true?

I have heard that the agave plant is in trouble at the moment, so that real tequila production is limited. Has anyone heard that too?

For drinking straight, cuervo reserva is pretty good-I've tried it as a mixer, but it doesn't work too well for that. El Tesoro Paradiso is a very good all around, but it's fairly expensive (best price I've found was $85 at costco in LA when I was there). Otherwise, Sauza Triada is a good substitute.

• 1 month later...

Yikes! There are too many recommendations for Cuervo on this thread! If you are going to be spending your hard earned cash on good tequila, don't toss it away on Cuervo Family Reserve. There are so many good tequilas out there for under 50 bucks it isn't even funny.

First of all, you need to decide if you want Silver/Plata, Resposado or Anejo. A Silver is unaged or aged up to 9 months. It will be spicy, very vegetal and have nice "tongue-fire." A resposado has spent up to 2 years in oak, so it will have less forepalate spiciness, but will still have some pepper on the finish. The agave will be present on the palate an nose, but influence of tannins and vanillins will sweeten and soften it a bit, so you may start to pick up floral and tropical fruit nuances. An Anejo has spent up to 5 years in oak (rarely ever longer) and will be much softer, smoother and have more complexities in it. The peppery element will all but have disappeared and you will get cocoa, tropical fruit and agave on the palate.

Once you have chosen a tequila style to suit your palate, choose from these brands:

El Tesoro de Don Felipe

Don Julio

Herradura

Don Eduardo

El Mayor Reserve

El Grito

Corazon

Ceasar Monterrey

Cabrito

Chimayo

Chinaco

Hussong's

Casta

Avoid:

Cabo Wabo

Porfidio

Patron is okay, but I feel it is overpriced and no match for others in its price range.

Hope this helps.

Patron Silver is overpriced? Really? I dont recall spending more than $30 for it here in NJ. But that was about 2 years ago when I bought my bottles.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

You got a killer deal then. In TN, Patron ranges from 45 to almost 60 for the Anejo. Even the better online retailers sell Patron for 44 for the blanco and 52 for the Anejo. There are just too many better tequilas than Patron in that price range. If it was a 40 dollar bottle of Anejo, it would be great. The only thing it really has going for it is superior product placement in many movies and tons of advertising.

• 3 months later...

as a novice to the world of tequila, i appreciate everyone's input, esp mickeyblue's descriptions of the flavors of young, rested and aged tequilas.

question: what do you recommend for margaritas?

i had a "oaxaca rita" in houston made with monte alban anejo and cointreau--i really liked the smoky flavor--any other, better suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

The smoky flavor you got was from the charring of the agave hearts that is done when Mezcal is made. If good mezcal is what you are after, be prepared to pay for it. Unlike tequila, all good mezcal (that I have found) is expensive. One of the best I have had is the Del Maguey series. They are all single "quinta" (villiage) mezcals and are amazing. They run about 60 bucks a bottle.

Check this website for more information on tequila. www.ianchadwick.com/tequila

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not many tequila drinkers here I see.

Over the last few years I have learned to love some of the top shelf types. especially those mentioned above.

I prefer the silver, blanco or whatever to the aged in burbon casks. They allow the delicate taste of the agave to shine through more.

I have a bottle of Herradura Suprema sitting on the shelf waiting for the right occassion.

Just remember...Tequila, not just for frat parties anymore. LOL

I have a really good bottle of some tequila that someone gave me. The label fell off. I'll find it and let you know what it is. It's the best tequila I've ever had.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

What's the brand of tequila sold all over northern Mexico that gets more expensive the more horns the animal on the label has? I like that one, even the one with the goat on it is good.

regards,

trillium

• 3 months later...
I have a really good bottle of some tequila that someone gave me. The label fell off. I'll find it and let you know what it is. It's the best tequila I've ever had.

Finally remembered to answer this. The tequila I have is called Centenarium Gran. It's just about as smooth as it gets and is mighty, mighty tasty. So much so that I've developed a taste for tequila. I found a good moderately priced brand too, it's called Cabrito and runs for about $19 a bottle. It's just about as smooth as the Centenarium.

The Cabrito may be the trillium is referring to. There is a horned animal on the bottle. It gets blurrier and blurrier the more tequila you drink and I think the number of horns gets more. Could be less.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway