• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All about Tequila

Damian

I'm lucky to be invited to an open-bar reception, where I can drink as much as I want of any of the tequillas on this list: http://www.rosamexicano.com/menus/dc.beverage.html. The problem with these receptions is that after a handful of shots of straight spirits it becomes difficult to taste the differences. And no, it doesn't not seem like good form to use spitoons.

So the question is, which three to four should I absolutely try?

I'm gob-smacked at the list. Its amazing that a restaurant would be so generous to say drink as much as you want.

I think a few rules need to be applied for you to glean some sort of knowledge from the experience.

Keep in mind that good tequila deserves to be enjoyed, sipped, enjoy the aroma - DO NOT SHOOT IT BACK. Don't ask for a full shot. I might go from silvers to resposados to anejos or settle with one style, silvers for example. If the restaurant has any concern for liquor costs, they won't be serving full shots in the first place. This sort of offer -open bar - could turn ugly real fast. I'd go early and leave early.

I also don't think that the most expensive tequilas are necessarily the best.

I'm lucky to be invited to an open-bar reception, where I can drink as much as I want of any of the tequillas on this list: http://www.rosamexicano.com/menus/dc.beverage.html. The problem with these receptions is that after a handful of shots of straight spirits it becomes difficult to taste the differences. And no, it doesn't not seem like good form to use spitoons.

I'm gob-smacked at the list. Its amazing that a restaurant would be so generous to say drink as much as you want.

I think a few rules need to be applied for you to glean some sort of knowledge from the experience.

Keep in mind that good tequila deserves to be enjoyed, sipped, enjoy the aroma - DO NOT SHOOT IT BACK. Don't ask for a full shot. I might go from silvers to resposados to anejos or settle with one style, silvers for example. If the restaurant has any concern for liquor costs, they won't be serving full shots in the first place. This sort of offer -open bar - could turn ugly real fast. I'd go early and leave early.

I also don't think that the most expensive tequilas are necessarily the best.

A law firm is paying for it :). I assure you I will sip them slowly!

Love this topic. nice to see others who like tequila, as opposed to those who lick a mouthful of salt, choke down the shot, and stuff a lime in their mouth to kill the taste.

Is tequila and grapefruit soda such as fresca a natural mix or what? Sauza blanco, squeeze of lime, splash of fresca, lotsa ice. Alphaiii, i'm with ya on squirt being too sweet. Ting is also too sweet for me. something perfect about fresca, imho.

I don't drink too many anejos, i'm a reposado drinker most of the time but i really like the silvers more and more. I haven't found many tequilas i don't like, burt there are a few. Milagro rep., correlejo rep., and all Jose Cuervo stuff. The exception i make is for the cuervo Traditional. I like this and its priced nice (about $22.00 here in Pa.)

incidentally, my wife and i are opening a bakery and had a big argument over when my oven would be built. i said it would be done by the end of the week. she said she'd bet anything it wouldn't. the bet was a case of Cabo Wabo. It was the first thing out of my mouth. well...gallery_7750_788_92854.jpg

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes alot more like prunes than rhubarb does. groucho

I suggest El Tesoro Anejo being one of the three.

Edited by mbanu (log)

Only 3 or 4?? There is no way I could limit myself to that. I would say you have to try these:

El Tesoro Platinum

Casa Noble Crystal

Casa Noble Reposado

El Tesoro Anejo

No I have not tried any of the Casa Noble line yet, but they have such an outstanding reputatio that I couldn't imagine passing them up. I didn't recommend the Casa Noble Anejo because I think the El Tesoro is really a must try. As for the El Tesoro tequilas I mentioned, they are, IMO, the best of their respective categories out of all the tequilas I've tried. My new favorite reposado is Chinaco, and I'd recommend that over any other reposados I've tried.

BTW, I am extremely jealous.

Now working on a bottle of 1800 in the freezer. Just bought a bottle of Don Eduardo silver : tried it at a tequila tasting a few weeks ago and liked it.

I don't think there is such a thing as a "good" margarita mix. If you're using good tequila, why would you want to use a premade product? Fresh limes, ice and a little triple sec works for me. Some simple syrup if it's too tart.

Having said that, there IS a bottled product line called "Freshies" that has a reasonably decent lime mixer.

I don't think there is such a thing as a "good" margarita mix. If you're using good tequila, why would you want to use a premade product? Fresh limes, ice and a little triple sec works for me. Some simple syrup if it's too tart.

There *is* such a thing as a good margarita mix, but unless you're prepping to make a *lot* of margaritas, there's really no point. :)

It's called equal parts lime juice and Cointreau. :P You end up with a 40 proof liqueur-type mixer that you can make ahead of time and then just add tequila to when the need arises. :) (This doesn't work as well with those 15% abv triple secs because premixing would knock down the alcohol content enough to shorten the shelf life quite a bit)

• 1 month later...
I wanted to get an idea of what everyone prefers when it comes to tequila.  First, are you an anejo, a reposoda, or a blanco/plata drinker?  Second, what are your top brand picks in whichever category you enjoy.

I am primarily a reposado drinker. 

My top reposados:

Cabo Wabo

Don Julio

El Tesoro

Gran Centenario

I was not impressed with Herradura, Hornitos, Cazadores, and Cuervo Tradicional.  A couple I'd like to try are Herencia de Plata and Chinaco.

I am condsidering branching into the anejo and blanco categories more.  I've tried El Tesoro Anejo, and it's an incredible tequila.  1800 anejo wasn't bad, but too oaky - not nearly as balanced as the Tesoro.

Other anejos, I'd like to try:

Cabo Wabo

Don Julio

Chinaco

As for blancos, Cabo Wabo and Chinaco are pretty good.  1800 Silver is also pretty good considering the price.  I would like to try Don Julio and El Tesoro, but since I haven't been too wowed by unaged tequila, I'm not in a huge hurry to try these.

So tell me what you like, and what you think I should try, even if it's not in my little lists.

I'm also a reposado fan. I'm also pretty new to the world of 'good' tequila but surprised by your selection. Why?

Because my number one is also Cabo Wabo Reposado enjoyed ice cold with the salt and lime chaser

My number 2 is La Casa de Don Augustin, aged 11 months in oak. I like this one with equal amounts of Sangrita.......yummy.

My number 3? Don't have one yet. But thinking of trying the Patron Reposado or Don Julio and perhaps El Tesoro. :smile:

I'm also a reposado fan. I'm also pretty new to the world of 'good' tequila but surprised by your selection. Why?

Because my number one is also Cabo Wabo Reposado enjoyed ice cold with the salt and lime chaser

My number 2 is La Casa de Don Augustin, aged 11 months in oak. I like this one with equal amounts of Sangrita.......yummy.

My number 3? Don't have one yet. But thinking of trying the Patron Reposado or Don Julio and perhaps El Tesoro.  :smile:

The Cabo Wabo brand takes a lot of bashing, but I am a huge fan of the reposado and its still my first choice.

I should note that, while I praised Chinaco reposado earlier in this thread, its less and less appealing the last few times I've drank it. I have no idea why I thought it was so good when I first tried it, but that sure changed.

My top 3 reposados are still Cabo, El Tesoro and Don Julio.

I've never had your 2nd choice, or seen it anywhere for that matter. If I see it somewhere I'll have to try it.

I'm also getting into blancos. El Tesoro Platinum is incredible tequila, and Don Eduardo impressed me alot too. Can't wait to try the Casa Noble Crystal!

My number 3? Don't have one yet. But thinking of trying the Patron Reposado or Don Julio and perhaps El Tesoro.  :smile:

The Cabo Wabo brand takes a lot of bashing, but I am a huge fan of the reposado and its still my first choice.

I should note that, while I praised Chinaco reposado earlier in this thread, its less and less appealing the last few times I've drank it. I have no idea why I thought it was so good when I first tried it, but that sure changed.

My top 3 reposados are still Cabo, El Tesoro and Don Julio.

I've never had your 2nd choice, or seen it anywhere for that matter. If I see it somewhere I'll have to try it.

I'm also getting into blancos. El Tesoro Platinum is incredible tequila, and Don Eduardo impressed me alot too. Can't wait to try the Casa Noble Crystal!

Nice to hear from you. As I sit here writing this little note and sipping a glass of La Cava de Don Augustin with a Sangrita chaser I thought I would include this web site talking about this tequila.

http://www.pocotequila.com/retour/lacava2.html

We are leaving this friday on a cruise down to Mexico so the following plans I have are subject to change. But for now I'm thinking of picking up a bottle of El Tesoro and perhaps a Patron Anejo (just for sipping) Remember my favorite stuff is good rum.

But who knows, I may pick up a bottle of something else while on the cruise. We have signed up for a tequila tour so it's sure to be interesting...

In meantime, I think it's time for another shot of Don Augustin.......

Ciao :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

:biggrin:

I enjoy Cazadores Reposado...  they sell it at Costco here for $29.99/liter.

Goes well with the mexican limes, carne asada, and fresh tortillas!

I also enjoy Patron, Don Julio, and El Tesoro on rare occasions.  I can't even look at any type of Jose Cuervo anymore.

And Cruzan Rojo...  my college roommate would make omlettes with the worms. :wacko:

My wife and I just returned from a Mexican cruise and while visiting Puerto Vallarta we took a tour inland to a tequila factory called Hacienda Dana Engracia. A very small factory but well setup for tourists. We tasted around ten different tequilas blends and the usual anejo, blanco and reposado. Their anejo was selling for almost a 100 bucks a bottle. Anyhow, when I asked the guide if they exported to the US he said they have a distributor in Redwood City, CA. I was wondering if you have ever seen it or even tried it?

While I didn't purchase any of the usual stuff I did pick up a bottle of there Licor de Almendras (amoretto). Tastes pretty good but only in small quantity as it's really sweet.

Dan

• 2 months later...

So my girlfriend is in Mexico, and she asked me if I wanted anything there, so my first thought was a good bottle of tequila.

I had this one Jose Cuervo Riserva de la famila once which was very good, but shes not sure if she can find that on there, I was wondering what suggestions you folks could give for a wicked tequila to be enjoyed on its own. Apparently prices there are insanely cheap, so, I am looking for input from the enlightened folks of egullet.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my GF came back from Mexico...

She was in Porto Vayarta (excuse my hack of the spelling) and apparently the liquor store there was sold out of the Reserva.

She picked up these 2 bottles for me instead.

Tequila Corralejo - Reposado

Tequila Con Orgullo - Anejo

Both very nice and smooth...

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post on this forum and about this subject. I have been drinking GOOD tequila for many years now. I have amassed a collection of about 50 or so bottles all in the anejo type. I tried blancos and reposados and they just don't do it for me like a good anejo. I ALWAYS sip my tequila and sometimes sip the traditional sangrita chaser after each sip of tequila. Here is a link to the spirits I own and have tried. You can sort it by spirit type if need be. I have rated many of the tequilas I own. Only a few remain unopened in my collection.

https://67.85.199.137/em/tequila.nsf/frmall

What I can say is Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia (JCRF) is one of the best tequilas around. It trully is wonderful. It's a shame the Jose Cuervo name is normally synonymous with bad drinking experiences.

I am glad to be a part of this wonderful forum and look forward to many great discussions here.

It's a shame the Jose Cuervo name is normally synonymous with bad drinking experiences.

Exactly! I was discussing this point last week with a friend who had no idea that Cuervo made any high-end or quality products. On one hand, it's a PR situation their people could improve on. On the other hand, they seem to be doing just fine with the image they've got! Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

It's funny. The first time I had Reserva de la Famila was when a bartender recommended it to me in Mexico City. My immediate response was, "Cuervo? Are you sure?" "It's really good," he replied. "Maybe the best."

It's a good thing I listened to him.

(Did I ever tell you about the time I refused to drink Budweiser beer in Germany near then-Czechoslovakia because I ignorantly assumed it was the American beer?)

• 3 months later...

So... I was just given a bottle of Reserva De La Familla, and being somewhat new to the world of Tequila, I was wondering what the best type of glass would be to enjoy this stuff straight up.

Second question, would you put anything in it? Ice?

Cheers.

-Justin

No on the ice; but, I will repectfully disagree with docscontz on the brandy snifter for tequila.

I haven't had reserva de familia; but the aromatics of "wild" spirits like tequila and rum can be a bit overwhelming for most folks when served in something like a brandy snifter.

A lot of people prefer drinking these sorts of spirits in something like a double rocks glass or tumbler.

My personal favorite glass for most straight spirits is a small-ish white wine glass. Something that doesn't over concentrate the flavors yet still allows an appreciation of the aromatics.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I recommend either a snifter or, better yet, a Riedel Overture tequila glass. Since I imagine you probably don't have the latter just lying around, I think a small snifter is your best bet.

Edited by alphaiii (log)

I have what I believe is a port glass/dessert wine glass...I am not sure if thats the correct term for it, but I used that last night, and I found that if I put my nose too deep, as I would with wine, I found it a bit strong. However, if I swirled it a bit in the glass then wafted my nose over top, I caught a ton of vanilla and fruit aromas, quite amazing.

And boy, if you like Tequila, this stuff is amazing....extremely smooth!

Traditionally, when it comes to tasting spirits of almost any kind, something akin to the INAO tasting glass is okay. "Proper" spirit tasting glasses often curve out at the rim to allow some of the "heat" to dissapate.

But, in general, remember two things:

1) keep your mouth open when you're nosing spirits. It does amazing things to minimize the burn.

2) a splash of spring water (just a splash) open up the aromatics tremendously, without harming the core flavors of the spirit.

Marty McCabe

Boston, MA

Acme Cocktail Company