• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Central Florida Road Trip: food?

Xiaogao

Hi, I need suggestions on what to eat between Orlando and Gainesville (via Ocala).  I'm interested in local, road food type places, off the beaten track or with some local flavor. 

Thanks!

I assume you'll be taking I-75 - so you won't be talking about much.

Rather than go on a food hunt - I'd try stopping at someplace like the Marjorie Rawlings house in Cross Creek - it's an interesting state park and worth a stop - and see if anything looks interesting in the Cross Creek area. The Yearling is about the most famous place in the area - but I haven't been there for ages - and haven't read too much that's good about the food. So I'd just eyeball places and try one that looks ok. If you travel in this part of Florida - Cracker Barrel starts to look pretty good for lunch most of the time :smile: . Robyn

Instead of taking I-75, what about taking the old main road, I think it was either 27 or 301 or 441 or a combination of all three. WAY back when, that was the main route and could be an interesting drive, definitely longer timewise but might turn up some dining gems. It would take you through Apopka, Mt Dora, Leesburg, Ocala, Micanopy and into Gainesville. And the stop at Cross Creek and Majorie Rawlings State Park would be on the way.

Sounds like I might have a trip for myself happening there.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Thanks for the tip on the M. Rawlings house. It's true that you could do worse than Cracker Barrel in some places!

Yes, we are planning to avoid the interstate. Are any of those other towns interesting?

Thanks for the tip on the M. Rawlings house.  It's true that you could do worse than Cracker Barrel in some places! 

Yes, we are planning to avoid the interstate.  Are any of those other towns interesting?

I like Micanopy - it's good for about an hour. Not sure about Mt. Dora (haven't been there since they were hit a few years ago by - I think - a tornado - that ripped through downtown - but it was nice before then).

Wouldn't bet on food being a highlight though - unless you are extremely lucky. You used to be able to find pleasant "meat and three" places in most of these towns - but the vast majority have given way to chains. Some of the sexier towns have newer restaurants with grander aspirations - but they generally are - at best - adequate.

My favorite places in this part of the state are on the west coast - places like Cedar Key and Manatee Springs state park. But they are pretty much places to overnight - do some canoeing and the like - eat in a fried fish place - not places you'd detour to on your way from Orlando to Gainesville. Robyn

Thanks for the tip on the M. Rawlings house.  It's true that you could do worse than Cracker Barrel in some places! 

Yes, we are planning to avoid the interstate.  Are any of those other towns interesting?

Give Melrose a shot - two art galleries and Blue Water Bay 5 miles east of 301.(wwwthebluewaterbay.com) In Gainesville try The Soverign, a Euro Classic!! :cool:

Instead of taking I-75, what about taking the old main road, I think it was either 27 or 301 or 441 or a combination of all three.  WAY back when, that was the main route and could be an interesting drive, definitely longer timewise but might turn up some dining gems.  It would take you through Apopka, Mt Dora, Leesburg, Ocala, Micanopy and into Gainesville.  And the stop at Cross Creek and Majorie Rawlings State Park would be on the way. 

Sounds like I might have a trip for myself happening there.

Good plan! I've been saying that I'm going to Mt. Dora for ages. I've heard wonderful things about it, even recently. I didn't hear anything about a tornado.

(Hi, Robyn! Good to see you posting.)

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.