• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers's Markets 2006

The Amish farmer's market in Charlotte Hall/St. Marys is winding into fall. Yesterday they had tomatoes, peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, watermelons, butternut and spaghetti squashes, honey, eggs, baked goods and preserves.

-L

Edited to say - I can't believe I forgot to mention the sweet corn!

Edited by lperry (log)

I can't believe it was the end of both! :shock:

I was told by Twin Springs that next week would probably be the last for the peaches. Toigo never wants to make predictions. "Weather," he said, as opposed to lack of fruit on trees.

But there were SO many tomatoes at Dupont Circle that I figured we had two more weeks left.

Anyone bought the kiwi Heinz has been selling? Mythical to me since they have been snatched up prompty at 9, so I am told. But the guy's been growing them just like Italians do in Abruzzi.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

This weekend, at least two stalls still had peaches.

Tomatoes everywhere they tend to be. Elie's claims they will be selling them another four weeks :blink: !

The large standards are of mixed quality. Some good, others not ripe through and through. Best for cooking.

Cherry tomatoes at New Morning still delicious. Celery root's back for Week II.

When you reach a certain age, you think you'd remember certain tidbits like the end of tomato season. I don't recall local tomatoes being sold through the end of Ramadan, certainly.

Heinz still had his kiwi fruit. Tuscan kale and winter squash abound. Peppers like bunny rabbits. Like fruit flies.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

Kinda sorta on the same topic - but do any of you get deliveries from CSAs in the area - just moved to Alexandria and wondering what the scoop is - from folks in the know - ??

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

I believe Next Step Produce does CSAs. The web site is currently under reconstruction. The farmer's name is Heinz Thomet:

Next Step Produce

10615 Benton Road • Newberg, MD 20664

phone/fax: (301) 259-2096 • nextstepproduce@hotmail.com

You'll find more information about this and other potential sources here:FRESHfarm Markets. If you call the main office of this farmer's market, someone might have good suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Fabio Trabocchi of Maestro will be at Dupont Circle this Sunday.

The award-winning chef will be cooking at 11 am, feeding you some time before 11:30 and eagerly willing to sign your copy his new cookbook, La Cucina of Le Marche some time before noon.

The latter part of the title refers to the place of his birth, under-represented on the bowing shelves of English-language books on Italian regional cooking. Urbino's perhaps the most famous town in Le Marche and olive all'Ascolana--deep-fried stuffed olives--possibly the most familiar of its culinary specialties here in the US.

The Post recently published a story related to the new publication.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

Fabio Trabocchi of Maestro will be at Dupont Circle this Sunday. 

The Post recently published a story related to the new publication.

An here it is.

I don't usually go to the demonstrations, but I might stop by for Fabio. As long as he doesn't do that stupid lobster raviolit again...I've seen that twice on TV. :wink:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Well, he didn't and so the Busboy cameth.

Since the chef and two of his staff had the routine for a book-tour demo down pat, they arrived early, equiped with their own burners, copper pots, bottle of cognac and my favorite: a large heavy-duty metal funnel with dispenser capabilities so soup could flow quickly and cleanly into awaiting lines of little cups for samples.

The cookbook sold out. It looks great and with Peter Kaminsky (my second favorite writer on pigs after EB White) as co-author...

The chef was charming as was the sous-chef (?), Stefano from Cuomo, who eagerly pulled out his knife when I brought over a little box from Toiga filled with chestnuts.

Toiga was the only farm selling fresh chestnuts today; the two other farms who sometimes bring them were out. I meant to return them after the demo, but Stefano seemed so eager and nostalgic about the ones he gathered back home that I handed them over in thanks.

I'm paraphrasing the recipe for the chestnut soup over in the Italian forum in a thread devoted to soup. It's one of the best I've ever had anywhere in my life and I am passionate about good soup. He also made the same risotto that the Post mentioned with an accompanying recipe.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Kinda sorta on the same topic - but do any of you get deliveries from CSAs in the area - just moved to Alexandria and wondering what the scoop is - from folks in the know - ??

I'm in Alexandria and I am CSA with this farm: http://www.olinfoxfarms.com/

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer