• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking and running a restaurant

• 3 weeks later...

I truly love to cook, that's true, but the love of it gets lost. I can't single out one reason, but the first that comes to mind is the 7 nights a week burden. And it's a burden whether I'm sauting fish or seeing a movie.

This business is filled with great highs and tremendous lows, but the constant is--and here it's more a personality trait--the constant fear of failure. That is an everyday feeling one way or another.

What brings a tremendous satisfaction to me, and here I wouldn't trade owning a restaurant for anything, is the ability to bring about more awareness of how the food we choose to eat affects the world we live in. I've written about this in several other answers, so I won't enlarge the point further here, but suffice to say I'm intoxicated with the crumb of power I've achieved by the success of Blue Hill.

So, my actual love of cooking may be compromised a bit by the realities of owning a restaurant, but it's provided me with the pulpit of sorts to speak about what's important to me.