• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chestnut Hill Coffee Company - Philadelphia PA

phaelon56

John Hornall, well known barista and former co-owner of Hines Public Market Coffee in Seattle, has moved east and now runs the coffeee and espresso operation for

Chestnut Hill Cafe

Have you been there, tried it and can report on your experience? Hines was a legendary Seattle institution but lost its lease when the building they were housed in was demolished in the name of "progress". They have a street cart open and are working on a new space but John Hornall has landed in Philadelphia (score one for the east coast!).

Reports will be appreciated.

John Hornall, well known barista and former co-owner of Hines Public Market Coffee in Seattle, has moved east and now runs the coffeee and espresso operation for

Chestnut Hill Cafe

Have you been there, tried it and can report on your experience?  Hines was a legendary Seattle institution but lost its lease when the building they were housed in was demolished in the name of "progress".  They have a street cart open and are working on a new space but John Hornall has landed in Philadelphia (score one for the east coast!).

Reports will be appreciated.

I traveled up there from Maryland in February. Chestnut Hill is a very nice suburb of Philly that has lots of charm with cobblestone pavers and a trolly line running in front of the coffee shop. The shop itself is very elegant - think Pottery Barn - with wooden floors and exposed brick walls. One of the first things I noticed upon entering was a sushi refrigerator within which the most elegant of pastries were displayed.

Onto the coffee... John pulled me a fantastic espresso - lots of crema, nice buttery mouthfeel, and long lemony finish. He attributed the citrus notes to the coffee being from the new crop. My companions had lattes and they were also expertly prepared with free pour latte art.

I can highly recommend this shop. Everything about it, from the atmosphere to the coffee, is top-notch.

Chestnut Hill is a very nice suburb of Philly

Chestnut Hill is within the city limits. It's actually a neighborhood of Philadelphia.

Your account of the coffee shop makes it sound so lovely. I have an errand to run in Chestnut Hill sometime soon. I think I'll plan on a Saturday morning outing so I can check out the cafe as well as my favorite hardware store, Kilian's, which seems to be right down the street from it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

[Onto the coffee... John pulled me a fantastic espresso - lots of crema, nice buttery mouthfeel, and long lemony finish.  He attributed the citrus notes to the coffee being from the new crop. 

The citrus notes hint at that being new crop Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. It sounds as though he's found the right balance in the blend and perhaps a bean that keeps the citrusy notes under control. I've made some espresso blends with Yirgacheffe that will just about make you pucker up but I love that flavor note when it's not too astringent.

• 3 weeks later...

HERE is my report in the PA forum.

What a great little coffee shop. Cheerful, clean, and pulling a damn fine shot. Thanks for the headsup on this place.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hines also had quite the coffee roasting operation in back, and Bronwyn Serna, an award-winning barista. Interesting to see that part of Hines ended up across the country.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA