• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The BC Paper Plates AWards

jamiemaw

Based on Maxmillan's excellent suggestion, here are the proposed categories. May I also propose a Gold, Silver, and Bronze in each? Let the impassioned discussion begin . . .

First Annual British Columbia Paper Plates Awards

Sommelier of the Year Award

Premier Crew Awards – Best Service - Five Awardees

Best Bartender

Best New – Informal in 2005

Best New - Fine Dining in 2005

Best New Restaurant Design

Best Producer/Supplier of the Year

Food/Wine Book of the Year

Best Casual Chain

Best Bar/Lounge

Best Hotel Dining Room

Lifetime Culinary Achievement Award

Best of the Americas

Best South East Asian

Best Indian

Best Casual Chinese

Best Chinese Fine Dining

Best Casual Japanese

Best Japanese

Best Bistro or Brasserie

Best Formal French

Best Casual Italian

Best Italian

Best Other European

Editor’s Choice - Wildcard

Best North Shore

Best of the 'Burbs

Best Whistler

Best of Vancouver Island

Best of the Okanagan Valley

Best Barbecue

Best Steakhouse

Best Small Plates

Best Last Course

Best Regional

Best Seafood Restaurant

Chef of the Year

Restaurant of the Year

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I'll go first. Here are my picks. A bit of a struggle as I do not get out as much as I like. Some places I have not been to like Savoury Coast or Senova. All of these place I have attended in 2005, none of these votes are from a memory of days gone by. All of the people are people I have encountered in 2005, none are from memories of other years. I might have forgotten something but , I am getting old

Sommelier of the Year Award – Tom at “C”

Premier Crew Awards – Best Service - Five Awardees – Andreas at Blue Water. Ian at Rodney’s Oyster Bar, Robert Stemelchuk at Le Croc, Sean Heather’s sister at the Irish Heather ( I am drawing a blank. I am so embarrassed as Sean will see this five minutes after I post it.)

Best Bartender – Gord Bury at Joe Fortes. Quick with a joke, fast with the drink, cold glass, even colder beer. Just takin’ care of business, no muddlin’ required.

Best New – Informal in 2005 – Lolita’s

Best New - Fine Dining in 2005

Best New Restaurant Design - Saltlik

Best Producer/Supplier of the Year

Food/Wine Book of the Year

Best Casual Chain – The Keg

Best Bar/Lounge - George

Best Hotel Dining Room

Lifetime Culinary Achievement Award – Michel Jacob, mentor to Feenie, Hawksworth and a host fof others.

Best of the Americas – Lolits’s

Best South East Asian

Best Indian – Vij’s

Best Casual Chinese

Best Chinese Fine Dining

Best Casual Japanese – Hapa

Best Japanese

Best Bistro or Brasserie - Elixer

Best Formal French – Le Crocodile

Best Casual Italian - Amarcord

Best Italian – Cioppino’s

Best Other European -

Editor’s Choice – Wildcard – I would have to say Diner, suitable category as it is a bit of a wildcard on service, food and combination of both. All in all, I have enjoyed.

Best Barbecue – Any event that Rockin’ Ronnie Shewchuk is at. I have had two at the HSG in the past year and his food is excellent.

Best Steakhouse – A category near and dear to me. For bang for your steak dollar, I kick everybody's ass. Period.

Best Small Plates - Nu

Best Last Course – Billions and billions of GBP served indicates the HSG, but the desserts at Nu have been a standout. Any of the items Maureen makes there have been excellent ( ie: gnocchi - see Chef of the Year )

Best Regional – Aurora Bistro

Best Seafood Restaurant

Chef of the Year – Robert Clark for the innovations at Nu as well as bringing his wife on to do pastry

Cheers

Neil

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

There's something terribly arbitary about these polls. Like an uninformed vote is arguably a greater travesty in the democratic process than no vote at all.

Surely this exercise could only be potentially meaningful if the votes are from discerning diners who have repeatedly (or at least more than once) eaten at all the eligble restaurants in each category in which they are voting. And how likely is that.

Whatever.

some people have far too much time on their hands.......
Surely this exercise could only be potentially meaningful if the votes are from discerning diners who have repeatedly (or at least more than once) eaten at all the eligble restaurants in each category in which they are voting. And how likely is that.

[host]

Let's keep this thread on topic folks.

I don't believe anyone is pretending this is anything as serious as survey as The Golden Plates :hmmm: <-- closest thing to a sarcasm smiley I could find ... but at least it's a discussion about regional cuisine.

Eye rolling is not.

[/host]

There's something terribly arbitary about these polls. Like an uninformed vote is arguably a greater travesty in the democratic process than no vote at all.

Whatever.

Maybe Jamie could comment on how the Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards voting system is implementing- or has largely already done so - just such a system so as to avoid the arbitrary voting-for-the-sake-of-voting that I'm sure is not just the provenance of Georgia Straight readers . . .

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

some people have far too much time on their hands.......

[host]

Let's keep this thread on topic folks.

I don't believe anyone is pretending this is anything as serious as survey as The Golden Plates :hmmm: <-- closest thing to a sarcasm smiley I could find ... but at least it's a discussion about regional cuisine.

Eye rolling is not.

[/host]

I agree. I was speaking with a regional, seasonal cow just the other day. The cow just happened to be for sale and he said to me:

"When I was a lad, this line was frequently used as an argument for not getting married. In that context the line had some merit - or so I thought - until I discovered that buying the cow has its own rich rewards which have very little to do with drinking the milk."

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Whatever.

Maybe Jamie could comment on how the Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards voting system is implementing- or has largely already done so - just such a system so as to avoid the arbitrary voting-for-the-sake-of-voting that I'm sure is not just the provenance of Georgia Straight readers . . .

I don't want to sidetrack this topic, which was meant to be fun, and arbitrary. But for a look at the formal protocol, here you go.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

missing: Best Coffee / Cafe

Chez Jim in ForMiCa gets my vote for their French press and extarordinarily atttractive service staff. There's something to be said for their Pemberton Valley scalloped potatoes too, although the owner is a surly bugger.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Chez Jim in ForMiCa gets my vote for their French press and extarordinarily atttractive service staff. There's something to be said for their Pemberton Valley scalloped potatoes too, although the owner is a surly bugger.

Surly and not getting any thinner either. Sounds like your coffee horizon could use a little widening? Bring your service staff along, we'll make a party of it.

Alistair Durie

Elysian Coffee

Surly and not getting any thinner either. Sounds like your coffee horizon could use a little widening? Bring your service staff along, we'll make a party of it.

Been there. Done low-fat.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

You forgot best advertising for a restaurant:

website advertising category:

Cost

Search engine rankings

Information for consumers

Magazine Category:

Cost

Information for consumers

Newspaper:

Cost

information for consumers

What is the best media for restaurants per dollar?

Let me guess Egullet and word of mouth!!!!!!!