• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kansas City seasonal markets 2006

I did find a great source for Wagyu that will let me pick the marbling by grade (grade 4 to grade 12 with the 12 being the best)0.. Now I can put it on the menu and feel like it's better than red angus, all of the wagyu I worked with in KC was never that good.

Sounds great. Australian or U.S. origin?

=R=

It's Australian but it feed certified GMO free white grains. and raised in a healthy lifestyle. The marbling is off the cart!

I did find a great source for Wagyu that will let me pick the marbling by grade (grade 4 to grade 12 with the 12 being the best)0.. Now I can put it on the menu and feel like it's better than red angus, all of the wagyu I worked with in KC was never that good.

=R=

It's Australian but it feed certified GMO free white grains. and raised in a healthy lifestyle. The marbling is off the cart!

Cool! I've seen some Australian #11 and it was absolutely unbelievable. The marbling was like nothing I'd ever seen before (or since for that matter). Unfortunately, I never got to taste it.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

=R=

Cool! I've seen some Australian #11 and it was absolutely unbelievable. The marbling was like nothing I'd ever seen before (or since for that matter). Unfortunately, I never got to taste it.

=R=

Uh oh, the "meat heads are at it!!" :laugh:

Can you please explain the "certified GMO free white grains?" :unsure:

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I thoroughly enjoyed what was called, on the menu, "Australian Kobe" at Wilshire. I thought about asking the chef to elaborate but I was quite full and happy and quite simply forgot.

I would stiil feel better about any beef not originating in the "DOC" be referred to as wagyu. The growers and vintners in Champagne have fought the rather-loose use of their label for centuries and I hate to see it start again.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I thoroughly enjoyed what was called, on the menu, "Australian Kobe" at Wilshire.  I thought about asking the chef to elaborate but I was quite full and happy and quite simply forgot.

I would stiil feel better about any beef not originating in the "DOC" be referred to as wagyu.  The growers and vintners in Champagne have fought the rather-loose of their label for centuries and i hate to see it start again.

Kobe is the region

Wagyu is the Breed Wa(Wah) means Japanese Style and Gyu(gu) means Cattle, I just call it beef on the menu just like I call Bershire Pork ,Pig on my menu. My mushrooms I use are local I don't mention the grower. I just prefer a simpler menu.

Looking for a dependable, yet affordable, pair of garden clogs. Any clue where I might get a pair locally. I avoid online ordering of clothing, as I'm an oddly shaped fellow. :hmmm:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...

Bumping to correct and remind:

The Crossroads market has migrated to 39th Street, next to Crave Cafe, and is held 5-8 each Wednesday.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Looking for a dependable, yet affordable, pair of garden clogs.  Any clue where I might get a pair locally.  I avoid online ordering of clothing, as I'm an oddly shaped fellow.  :hmmm:

u.e.

I'd try the place in the River Market area--Planter's, I think it's called--haven't been there in so long I can't remember! I think it's on 5th Street.

Deb

Liberty, MO

Looking for a dependable, yet affordable, pair of garden clogs.  Any clue where I might get a pair locally.  I avoid online ordering of clothing, as I'm an oddly shaped fellow.   :hmmm:

u.e.

I'd try the place in the River Market area--Planter's, I think it's called--haven't been there in so long I can't remember! I think it's on 5th Street.

Thanks Maison.

Yes, alas, I arrived shortly after their CLEARANCE... I was very sorry that my feet weren't women's size 4 or men's size 12... :hmmm: They said they're discontinuing their Birks... :sad:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Have you considered the age-old practice of foot binding? Just a thought :biggrin:

There are many other outlets for birkis in town, in Lawrence, and online. PM me if your "dawgs" are still barkin' for garden clogs.

Also, back on topic (yes, Ronnie, we occasionally manage that feat :wink:), I just came from the 39th Street market and it was killer. There are only about 6 or 7 farms represented, but they all had primo stuff, good prices and god bless 'em for coming out in the (104 degrees on my car thermometer) heat! Check it out if you're in midtown next Wednesday - you won't be sorry.

Also, Tom Ruggieri and others whose names aren't Italian and consequently have escaped my vowel-inclined memory, were there and I enjoyed a brief discussion with them about the "100-mile Diet" series of articles in Present Magazine. Oddly I was the first person to approach them and indicate that I had read the series and was interested in the concept. That is just wrong and deeply disturbing. C'mon folks. Read, chew, discuss. For links, either see my media digest or simply click here and let 'em know you care about our local food scene. And vote with your dollars. End of sermon, sorry. :rolleyes:

M.F.K. Fisher

Sorry, I refuse to visit the mid-west at this time of year, so can't tell you about markets. :raz:

Just got an invitation for a high school reunion in August. I only come to Missouri in August if someone dear to me is dying. :laugh:

Now mind you, I'm usually only there at Christmas time these days and that's not my favorite time either! I'm a Spring/Fall mid-west visitor!!! :wink:

Deb

Liberty, MO

Smart woman you are, Maison Rustique! It was 102 today - I really wanted to go to the Parkville Farmer's Market today, but the thought of rummaging through wilting produce just made me sad... I'd be wilting right along side them! Those brave farmers!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

u.e., sadly I think the weather is roughly the same throughout the country. We had our coolest day in some time today--high of around 85. Plus our humidity is creeping up there, too. I'll not turn this into a global warming/what-in-the-world-will-we-do thread. Just know that it's not a whole lot better here near the Pacific Ocean than it is there. :sad:

If I can work it out (work-wise), I'd love to come back there in late October--my favorite time of year!!! :wub:

Deb

Liberty, MO

• 3 weeks later...

Wow summer produce in full swing and this thread is on page 3?!?!?! :blink:

Took my youngest daughter (6) to a couple of farmers' markets this morning. Parkville and the River Market downtown.

Arrived at Parkville about 10, appeared to be too late, no corn, no peaches. I did pick up a giant canalope though and it smells great. Lots of tomatoes here. Some crazy lookin heirloom mater's. Lots of interesting looking chiles too. My garden is full of both so I didn't need to get any more.

On to the River Market. First thing I notice is the old jalapenos and drying out corn in front of the Vietnamese restaurant. Fortunately, this was the only sub-par produce we saw all day here. Even more heirloom tomatoes. I asked one of the ladies selling these crazy ribbed tomatoes what kind they were. She said she didn't know, she just planted the seeds and that's what came up. She shrugged her shoulders as she showed me some other oddly shapped maters. We parted ways and Meghan and I headed off to the corn, $.25/ear not bad. Peaches are insane good and perfectly ripe. Lots of eggplant varieties including white ones that really do look like eggs, some very small purple, and more. Again, lots of chiles. This time the small super hot Thai chiles were amoung the offerings. And ripe jalapenos. No cayenne, whats up. My cayenne came up as something else, oh well hope they're hot.

Enough rambling, the veggies and fruit are out there.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

We hit OP yesterday and skipped Brookside (between OP, garden, and Organic Way CSA, we are rolling in produce, so...) Man, crazy! Glorious, glorious heirloom tomatoes by the bagful at OP, far more than just a few seasons ago. Vendors who had been planting the standards 3 years ago have really branched out, and it's great to see (actually, now that I think about it, we're seeing more variety at that market in several areas- tomatoes, eggplants, garlic, peaches, melons, squash). Great nectarines, multiple varieties of peaches, still some great greens.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

The Crum family had an irresistable array of heirloom toms yesterday at the Parkville market. I bought a half-dozen different varities: everything from golden yellow Valencias, blushing Oxhearts, dazzling Green Zebra to the tubular San Marzano. I also bought another big round tomato that was similarly coloured (sort of pink) as teh Oxtheart. Oh, and my favorite - a small pepper-shaped red tomato streaked with yellow - amazing!! I had that for dinner sliced on salad. Oy, now I gotta eat all of it before I leave town tomorrow!! Yikes!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I've had a ton of great Caprese salad for the past two weekends, prepared with an assortment of Crum's grape/cherry tomato varieties. The selection this weekend was overwhelming, so I just stuck with what I knew. I think my favorites are the little "black cherries". Great corn too. I'll have to pick up some of those wild pepper shaped tomatoes if they have any next week. I should have some good luck since I get there around 6:30, unlike SOME PEOPLE who wait until 10am!

If I can work from home Wednesday the plan is to get down there at 2pm and stock up on peaches. I got a bunch of red savina habaneros from my grandparents garden and the time is right for a huge batch of habanero peach marmalade.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Jim Crum mentioned that they are growing a "mustard habanero" this summer, which was a new one on me. Can't wait to check 'em out, though.

And, really, chiliehead, what did you expect to find at 10am? Somebody buy that boy an alarm clock! :raz:

M.F.K. Fisher

Jim Crum mentioned that they are growing a "mustard habanero" this summer, which was a new one on me.  Can't wait to check 'em out, though.

And, really, chiliehead, what did you expect to find at 10am?  Somebody buy that boy an alarm clock! :raz:

I have an alarm clock, and it works. I also have 2 daughters that sleep through anything.

Mustard habanero!?!?!? Never heard of that one, chocolate yes, lemon yes, but not Mustard. May have to get down there for that one.

While I'm posting, the corn was great, grilled and basted with a mixture of butter, lime juice, chipotle powder, and smoked ancho powder.

Edited by chileheadmike (log)

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I have an alarm clock, and it works. I also have 2 daughters that sleep through anything.

Mustard habanero!?!?!? Never heard of that one, chocolate yes, lemon yes, but not Mustard. May have to get down there for that one.

While I'm posting, the corn was great, grilled and basted with a mixture of butter, lime juice, chipotle powder, and smoked ancho powder.

I found a picture on the Seed Savers website here.

Don't know what to tell you about the girls - I think a bucket of cold water might do the trick, though. :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

Yeah, and you also have what the doctors refer to as a relaxed brain.

Seriously, I guess I've been denying the city market and should go back down there at some point in the near future. Although it sure is nice to stay close to home. Have only noticed the Campo Lindo truck down there a couple of times, wondering if the schedule varies or they just show up later in the morning.

I was at a meeting last night and someone brought in an awesome batch of gazpacho that one of the vendors at the OP market sells every weekend (along with salsa, I'm guessing). Can't remember the name of the seller, but will inquire and report back.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011