• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kansas City seasonal markets 2006

I was planning to post a reminder about the upcoming Farm Expos and other related events but I just received this email from KCCUA and I couldn't have said it better myself, so from Dan and Katherine:

The Growing Season has begun! We'll be selling fresh vegetables and transplants for your home gardens beginning this Saturday, April 1. We've got the Farmers' Exhibition this Saturday, the Shawnee Mission Earth Fair the next Saturday, and then we are into the Brookside market and we'll be there every Saturday from now until the fall.

The greens are tender, the root vegetables are coming along, even the herbs are springing out of the soil in our herb beds! After a long winter of eating grocery store vegetables, you'll be amazed at how alive these veggies taste!

We'll also be selling transplants for your own gardens- more than 50 varieties of tomatoes, both heirlooms and hybrids, sweet peppers, lettuces, herbs, broccoli, cabbage and more! Our transplants are certified organically grown and they are just beautiful.

Saturday, April 1, 9:00-3:00

Farmers' Exhibition 2006

Shawnee Civic Center

13817 Johnson Drive, Shawnee, KS

Saturday, April 8, 10:00-3:00

Shawnee Mission Earth Fair

Shawnee Mission East High School

7500 Mission Road

Saturdays, April 15-October 21, 8:00-1:00

Farmers' Community Market at Brookside

Border Star Montessori School

63rd & Wornall

Kansas City, MO

We look forward to seeing you again, the spring is just a miraculous time and we love sharing it with you!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

And don't forget the Overland Park Farmer's Market, starting this Saturday!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I need to find out when the Parkville Farmer's Market starts up too. In school this weekend or I'd be down at the Farmer's Exhibition!

Markets are opening, Price Chopper has charcoal on sale this week, just got new hardware for the smokers and grills..........I'M EXCITED!!!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I may be in Denver but Im still Kansas City at Heart...

My apartment complex prohibits the use of charcoal grills... but It's not going stop this KansasCitian! :biggrin: All I need is my sun tea and grill with that humid KC summer air... its bone dry out here!

Can't wait to be back in KC and looking forward to the markets!

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I need to find out when the Parkville Farmer's Market starts up too.  In school this weekend or I'd be down at the Farmer's Exhibition! 

Markets are opening, Price Chopper has charcoal on sale this week, just got new hardware for the smokers and grills..........I'M EXCITED!!!

I think we all have a bad case of spring fever. And we didn't even really have winter this year!

I can see the need for a comprehensive (well, I'll try) list of area markets, their opening dates, hours of operation, etc. There are some online resources but they don't have all of the info (:angry:) so I will endeavor this weekend to put together a list with dates, hours, address and contact info for the area, including Lawrence. Ronnie Suburban generally "pins" a market thread so we can ask him to do that for us once the markets have ramped-up (pun intended :wink:) and keep everyone informed about what's happening where.

To answer your immediate qustion, the Parkville market opens the Saturday before Mother's Day which, acorrding to my calendar, is May 13. I LOVE that market. It's small but mighty.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I attended the Farm Expo yesterday and (surprise!) thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it's my favorite day of the year, buying the first fresh local foods we've enjoyed since October. The omelets we had this morning reminded me that farm fresh eggs are an entirely different food from the ones we typically settle for during the winter (Campo Lindo excepted, when we can find them). A few fresh herbs and voila!

In addition to the fresh produce, we were treated to an inspirational (if somewhat disturbing) presentation by Todd Wickstrom, co-founder of Heritage Foods USA. They're the ones who have worked with Frank Reese (from our great state, famous for 'saving' the heritage turkeys) and other small producers to bring their heritage breeds of animals to market. While their efforts have succeeded beyond expectations, Todd has decided that it's time to move on to another project. The rather unitentional result of Heritage was that chefs and gourmets on both coasts are buying and serving these "designer" products and, while that's not necessarily bad, it does nothing to move us back to a simpler, local based diet.

He shared with us some very disturbing statistics about Detroit, its population, welfare state and health issues. While Todd hails from our metro area, he has called southeastern Michigan home for most of his adult life, so he has determined to try to reverse the insanity of vacant lots, malnutrition, and industrial farming at a very grass roots level in Wayne County. It sounds like a great challenge and I wish him the best. A comment from the audience pointed out that we have two generations of people in our country who think that food comes from styrofoam trays and haven't the slightest notion of how to turn raw ingredients into healthful meals. This is not going to be an overnight project.

I'm sure, as this new project progresses, there will be more information forthcoming and I will endeavor to offer updates (unless Tammy or someone in the AA/Detroit Metro area would like to). Their model, taken to the nth degree, could help other states take steps to reduce our dependence on too few corporations, too few species of plants and animals, and how it all fits in with our nation's health and welfare challenges.

M.F.K. Fisher

Moosnsqrl, did you chat with Dan from Organic Way at all? They're working on starting a grocery store in concert with other local producers, and are also involved in a new year-round CSA. I had a moment of cognitive dissonance when he mentioned they'd have 'value added' partially pre-prepped things at the store. It stood in contrast to the comment re: 2 generations of styrofoam packaging. I knew what he meant, and I know how meeting people halfway with a 'partially prepared' convenience product can aid people in becoming more active in cooking. It was just kind of...odd, coming from him.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

Moosnsqrl, did you chat with Dan from Organic Way at all?  They're working on starting a grocery store in concert with other local producers, and are also involved in a new year-round CSA.  I had a moment of cognitive dissonance when he mentioned they'd have 'value added' partially pre-prepped things at the store.  It stood in contrast to the comment re: 2 generations of styrofoam packaging.  I knew what he meant, and I know how meeting people halfway with a 'partially prepared' convenience product can aid people in becoming more active in cooking.  It was just kind of...odd, coming from him.

I didn't really talk to Dan yesterday -- I was there early and he and his helper were running late. They dropped a jar of fish emulsion (the value-added product they were selling yesterday) and were trying to clean it up and get set up and nothing was priced, Denise wasn't there...typical first day stuff. He was scheduled to speak after Todd Wickstrom but I couldn't stay that long. I wish someone would get something going to fill the gap that the closing of Local Harvest left. I didn't realize how spoiled I had become by the year-round availability until it wasn't there this winter. And Heather was doing some prepared foods (soups, pasta sauces and the like) made with local products that she prepared at [then] Full Circle Farm now KCCUA.

Thanks for the heads-up, though. I'll send an email and see if we can get more info. They're always so crazed on market/expo days it's difficult to carry on a conversation without feeling like I'm negatively affecting their income.

M.F.K. Fisher

I checked the site and there's nothing up on the year round CSA yet. Let me dig through the kiddo's stash of pamphlets he refused to unhand, I'm pretty sure I got one. Anyone else interested in the info?

And oh man, the smell from the fish emulsion. Nothing says spring like that stuff. I think you and I missed each other by about 20 minutes.

Thought a couple of you might be interested in this class at the Culinary Center... I know I am! Might find some good resources from it as well.

From the Garden Next Door

(A Special Dinner Highlighting The Unusual Bounty of Kansas City's Urban Farms)

When you think of farms in the Midwest you probably think of rural settings with rows of corn and wheat with a small farmhouse sitting near the road.  But did you know that tucked away in the backyards and side lots of Kansas City homes are charming diverse gardens growing exquisite varieties of vegetables, fruits and herbs that you can only dream about?  Yes, Sherri Harvel grows beautiful traditional crops such as tomatoes and summer squash but she and other urban farms like Bev Pender and Erica Wright also cultivate purple hull peas and mustards.  John Kaiahua is known for his Asian greens and there's a group of Somalian women who nurture sweet potatoes but not so much for the tuber as for the beautiful greens that grow with it.  Garlic chives, hot peppers, cucumbers, and pac choi (a kind of Chinese cabbage) are the specialties of urban farmer Kim Kwang.  Lemon grass, bitter melons, sorghum, passion fruit, dryland rice, varieties of basil, and fava beans... and there are so many more!  So here's our idea... we've asked these urban farms to provide us with the "best of their best" crops the week of this Bistro Dinner so that we can design a menu to show it off to you!  We will design the menu for this very special Bistro Dinner around these small but passionate urban gardens!  Our goal is to expose you to these small but passionate farmers and to all that can be grown right here in our own "backyard"!  We won't know the final menu until they present us with their "gifts" but we will tell you that it will be fresh, flavorful, interesting, and prepared "a la minute" as we say in the culinary world.  Plan on appetizers, salad, a main dish centered around an organic free-range chicken from Campo Lindo and celebrate the bounty that surrounds us here in Kansas City!  Includes dinner and complimentary glass of wine, Friday 7/14/06 7:00- 9:30 $55

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Thought a couple of you might be interested in this class at the Culinary Center... I know I am!  Might find some good resources from it as well.

From the Garden Next Door

(A Special Dinner Highlighting The Unusual Bounty of Kansas City's Urban Farms)

Good for them and thanks for posting this, Katie. These farmers were on the KCCUA tour last year and those I met were really nice, humble folks who grow great stuff and seem non-plussed that anyone wants to give them kudos for doing it. I'm happy to see them get this ongoing exposure. Wish I were going to be around :sad:

M.F.K. Fisher

Moosnsqrl, did you chat with Dan from Organic Way at all?  They're working on starting a grocery store in concert with other local producers, and are also involved in a new year-round CSA.  I had a moment of cognitive dissonance when he mentioned they'd have 'value added' partially pre-prepped things at the store.  It stood in contrast to the comment re: 2 generations of styrofoam packaging.  I knew what he meant, and I know how meeting people halfway with a 'partially prepared' convenience product can aid people in becoming more active in cooking.  It was just kind of...odd, coming from him.

I have a brochure for the full-service CSA that Dan is involved with. I also picked up some meat from that supplier. I eyed the grains but knowing that my pantry runneth over already, decided to hold off on that. If anyone is interested in this, kindly PM me with a fax number and I will send it. I can also scan it and try to send it via email, but being a proud Mac user at home and a disgruntled Windoze user at work, I know that isn't always successful, so fax is the more likely to succeed method.

The northland expo was nice - smaller and no lectures/programs that I am aware of or noticed, but calmer and more shoppable, in many ways. I was able to empty my pockets in no time!

M.F.K. Fisher

Anyone see ramps, green garlic, and morels (or any other special spring ingredients) around the kc area yet?

I've been cooking some seasonal spring dinners for myself lately, a few pics on the food blog if anyone cares to see...

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I've never seen indigenous ramps here, although we do have wild onions growing at the lake where I live.

I have friends ~15 miles west who have been picking morels for more than a week now. I've been out looking in my usual spot but haven't seen any, nor have I seen them in the markets but expect to this weekend.

I have lots of green garlic and many of the farmers at the expos the last two weekends have been selling it.

The Brookside market opens this weekend. I made it to the Overland Park market after the northland expo last week but it was pretty thin still. We've had considerably warmer weather this week so I expect great things on Saturday.

M.F.K. Fisher

I've never seen indigenous ramps here, although we do  have wild onions growing at the lake where I live.

I have friends ~15 miles west who have been picking morels for more than a week now.  I've been out looking in my usual spot but haven't seen any, nor have I seen them in the markets but expect to this weekend.

I have lots of green garlic and many of the farmers at the expos the last two weekends have been selling it.

The Brookside market opens this weekend.  I made it to the Overland Park market after the northland expo last week but it was pretty thin still.  We've had considerably warmer weather this week so I expect great things on Saturday.

wow sounds great, my father does a lot of morel hunting and he was a little sad about the lack of rain going on... but i t didn't sound like he even went out and tried this year either... so oh well.. thanks for the update! cant wait to be back..

In case you haven't read this week's media digest (shame on you!), there is a link to Lauren Chapin's Wednesday report on CSAs and area farmers (including the mega-CSA Dan May is involved with, Generations).

There is another great source of info about where to find food in our area - and you might be surprised at how many and where these are. The organizers of the farm expos the past two weeks, Food Circle of KC, have a series of "food finder" maps on their website that split the metro into sections and list sources. They also have a new and not-yet-highly utilized "harvest hotline" where growers can post what they have available.

http://www.kcfoodcircle.org/

While it's great to have the markets open, a lot of the urban growers just have a sign at the end of the driveway and are open (to varying degrees) during the week. I've found some of my best stuff this way and, incredibly in this day and age, many people still leave produce out in their yard on a rickety old table, with a box or jar to put money into, running on the honor system. Whenever I run across one of those, I know I AM in Kansas, Toto. :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

Here, at last, is the semi-comprehensive list of area farmer's markets. If you find any of this outdated, incorrect or in need of clarification OR there is a market not listed, please let everyone know. It may save someone else a few gallons of gas.

These are listed by day of the week, first Kansas, then Missouri (hey, it's the alphabet, don't blame me :wink:)

KANSAS

Wednesday Markets

Ottawa Market

Town & County Supply, Ottawa, KS

4 pm-sellout

Saturday Markets

Kansas City, KS Market

4601 State Ave, KCKS

7 am-sellout

Leavenworth Market

100 Block of Delaware, Leavenworth, KS

8 am-12 pm

Lebo Market

Lenexa City Park, Lenexa, KS

8 am– sellout

Merriam Market

5740 Merriam Drive, Merriam, KS

7 am-sellout

Olathe Market

200 W Santa Fe, Olathe, KS

7 am-sellout

Ottawa Market

Town & County Supply, Ottawa, KS

7 am-sellout

Overland Park Market

79th St & Marty St, Overland Park, KS

6:30 am-sellout

Paola Market

Paola Park Square, Paola, KS

7:30 am-sellout

Shawnee Market

Shawnee City Hall, Shawnee KS

7 am-4 pm

Spring Hill Market

S Webster & 215th St, Spring Hill, KS

7:30 am– 11 am

MISSOURI

Tuesday Markets

Bannister Federal Complex Market

10:30-1:30 PM

Troost & 92nd, KCMO

Lafayette County Market in Higginsville

4-6 PM

Behind the Post Office

North Kansas City Market

4-8 PM

Zona Rosa Shopping Center , KCMO

Liberty Farmers’ Market

7-1 PM

Sutherland’s on Hwy 29

Wednesday Markets

Blue Springs White Oak Market

AM till sell-out

S of Intersection Hwy 7 & Hwy 40

Cass County Market

3-6 PM

Mill Walk Park, Harrisonville

City Market

8-2 PM

Walnut & 5thKCMO

Crossroads Farmers’ Market

4-8 PM

Wyandotte & 18th, KCMO

Independence Market

7-1

Truman Rd between Main & Liberty

Liberty Farmers’ Market

7-1 PM

Sutherland’s on Hwy 29

Parkville Farmers' Market

11-3 PM

Market Pavilion

Warrensburg Farmers’ Market

7-4:30 PM

North & Holden

Clinton Farmers’ Market

3-6 PM

Courthouse Square

Thursday Markets

Thursday Nite Market

5-7:30 PM

Loop Rd, Belton

Saturday Markets

Cass County Market

7:30-12 PM

Mill Walk Park, Harrisonville

Troost Community Market

8-1 pm

Linewood & Troost, KCMO

Kansas City Organic Market

8-12:30 pm

Minor Park, KCMO

Excelsior Springs Market

6-12 PM

314 Concourse St

Brookside Farmers’ Market

8-1 PM

63rd & Wornall, KCMO

Blue Springs Farmers’ Market

8-12 PM

Main St

Liberty Farmers’ Market

7:30-1 PM

On the Square

Independence Farmers’ Market

7-1 PM

between Main & Liberty on Truman

Holden Farmers’ Market

7-sellout

Holden City Park

Lee’s Summit Farmers’ Market

8-1:30 pm

123 E 3rd St

Parkville Farmers’ Market

6-12

Market Pavilion

City Market

7-5 pm

5th & Walnut , KCMO

Clinton Market

7-12 PM

Courthouse Square

Platte City Market

7 AM-sellout

Paxson School Parking Lot

Lowry City Farmers’ Market

8-1 PM

3rd & Main St

Vernon County Farmers’ Market

9 AM—Sellout

Locust & Osage

Sunday Markets

The Sunday Market at Plaza Unity Church

9-1 PM the 1st & 3rd week of the month

Unity Temple on the Plaza, KCMO

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 weeks later...

First visit of '06 to Parkville market this morning:

Not vast numbers but good stuff: many and varied lettuces, wonderful radishes, fresh strawberries, morels, asparagus, garlic scapes, scallions and some killer baby turnips (from the parental units of Chef Crum). Oh, and Campo Lindo was there with their "killer" eggs.

There were many transplants (vegetal and ornamental, annual and perennial) but we're tapped on space so we could only admire them.

I feel SO lucky to live in an area where 20+ markets are withing striking distance. And, to gild the lilly (oh, sorry, couldn't help the pun) the ramps I picked-up at a green market in NYC and left in a friend's fridge finally found their way to me midday, so tomorrow will be devoted to ramp worship here at the lodge.

Life is good.

M.F.K. Fisher

Anyone see ramps, green garlic, and morels (or any other special spring ingredients) around the kc area yet?

I've been cooking some seasonal spring dinners for myself lately, a few pics on the food blog if anyone cares to see...

City market was thin on produce this weekend alot of hot house tomatoes, a few over priced morels, If I remember right they were selling 5 medium mushrooms for 20 dollars, gosh talk about taking the tourist for a trip I was paying 12 dollars a pound last week. No sign of ramps I'm shipping them in at 6.5 a lb from the east coast, the ones from the west cost where running 11 a lb. I'll be glad when the market in Independce picks up! Did pick up some sweet peas, wild asparagus & strawberries, bout it.

Edited by monkfish_103 (log)

City market was thin on produce this weekend alot of hot house tomatoes, a few over priced morels, If I remember right they were selling 5 medium mushrooms for 20 dollars, gosh talk about taking the tourist for a trip I was paying 12 dollars a pound last week. No sign of ramps I'm shipping them in at 6.5 a lb from the east coast, the ones from the west cost where running 11 a lb. I'll be glad when the market in Independce picks up!

I doubt it, but has anyone seen fiddlehead ferns?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

City market was thin on produce this weekend alot of hot house tomatoes, a few over priced morels, If I remember right they were selling 5 medium mushrooms for 20 dollars, gosh talk about taking the tourist for a trip I was paying 12 dollars a pound last week. No sign of ramps I'm shipping them in at 6.5 a lb from the east coast, the ones from the west cost where running 11 a lb. I'll be glad when the market in Independce picks up!

I doubt it, but has anyone seen fiddlehead ferns?

u.e.

on the east coast I found them for 12 a lb. I did find a great source for Wagyu that will let me pick the marbling by grade (grade 4 to grade 12 with the 12 being the best)0.. Now I can put it on the menu and feel like it's better than red angus, all of the wagyu I worked with in KC was never that good.

I did find a great source for Wagyu that will let me pick the marbling by grade (grade 4 to grade 12 with the 12 being the best)0.. Now I can put it on the menu and feel like it's better than red angus, all of the wagyu I worked with in KC was never that good.

Sounds great. Australian or U.S. origin?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

u.e., I'd suggest moseying to Brookside next weekend and asking the vendors- they may well know a local fiddlehead source. There was one teeny, sad basket of craptacular looking ones at whole foods yesterday, horrendously overpriced.

Our haul from OP and Brookside: wild strawberries, lots of lettuce, raab, purple spring onions, green garlic, teeny red potatoes, carrots, spinach, sugar snap peas, asparagus, various plants (basil, mint, lettuces, 2 kinds of summer squash)