• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can anyone recommend a shrimp or crab dish

cheereeo70

My family is coming for Easter dinner. About 15-20 folks. I am making a delicious beef tenderloin with roasted shallots and port wine reduction. Several are bringing side dishes and desserts. I would like to also make an entree with shrimp and/or crabmeat. Can anyone make any recommendations for something seafood to serve as another option with the beef? or should I just do a basic grilled shrimp? (no pasta please; also not really wanting something with a heavy cream sauce)

If you are curious. . . This is the recipe I am going to be using for the beef; I have made it before; it is really good. I also roast mushrooms with the shallots and although I use the bacon to brown, I don't add it to the sauce at the end and serve it on the side instead.

http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/BeefTenderloinWithRoastedS.asp

http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/BeefTenderloinWithRoastedS.asp' target='_blank'>

Thank you all so much for any advice.

I was going to suggest Paul Bertolli's crab and artichoke salad, but I looked at your profile and I'm guessing you don't have live Dungeness crab where you live.

There's a nice Greek dish that's basically poached shrimp tossed with oo, lemon and mint. Crumbled feta optional. Or how about a nice remoulade? Here's a good recipe from my pal Charles who owns the Penny Cluse Cafe in Burlington VT. This is an unemulsified dressing; it's supposed to separate. Charles says his grandma was from New Orleans and this is her recipe. If you are craving a little sweetness, a good glop of chili sauce would be OK.

For 30+ biggish shrimp 

2 stalks celery, diced fine 

1 cup Italian parsley, chopped fine then rinsed and squeezed through a towel 

1 bunch of green onions, chopped fine 

2 T good strong Dijon type mustard (Creole mustard if you can find it) 

2 T prepared horseradish or more to taste 

1 T paprika 

½ t cayenne 

Salt 

1 cup canola oil 

Mix all ingredients whisking in oil at the end 

Make a court bouillon with 

4 cups of water 

1 cup white wine 

2 lemons, halved, squeezed then dropped into the water 

Pinch of Peppercorns, allspice berries, whole cloves 

1 cinnamon stick 

Some sprigs of parsley 

Simmer court bouillon then drop in shrimp and cook until just pink. Spoon out into a large colander and put a little ice on to cool slightly. Mix into the sauce and chill in the cooler. Do not overcook shrimp, do not rinse shrimp with cold water to stop the cooking. 

Edited by essvee (log)

Well it depends...If I wanted an alternate option instead of beef, maybe some large crab cakes, with a few roasted peppers, dill, and penko crusted, and maybe a quick mango salsa, or possibly roasted tomatillo salsa...

For the shrimp you could go a thai/asian route, and sautee with galangal, lemongrass, a touch of red thai curry paste, garlic, shallots, deglaze with wine and add some coriander at the end, and lemon/lime as well.

Tons of choices.

Edited by sadistick (log)

My first thought was "Why not do lump crabmeat on the filet's?"

Maybe have a bearnaise sauce for those that want the crabmeat on the filet. Or a honey/redwine butter reduction for the sauce.

Nothing wrong with an old fashioned shrimp cocktail. Simmer salt, bay leaf, chopped celery stalks, rough chopped small onion, a garlic clove or two, a sliced whole lemon, and lots of whole black peppercorns for 20 minutes, put in the shrimp (depending on size, I use 24-30) simmer an additional 5 - 5 1/2 minutes, drain, shock on ice until serving time.

Serve with a nice red cocktail sauce (for saving time, I use Hoffman House brand, which I've never been able to surpase in taste and quality!

doc

If you really want to make a big hit at your party may i recommend preparing a Shrimp/Prawn Dish that will become something that your guests will be talking about being so special.

It can be adjusted to meet whatever criteria toward your families tastes and preferences by adjusting the seasonings to customize the dish.

It requires a large sized Sauté or Fry Pan with a cover.

The dish is a adaption of the classical " Italian Scampi" it is more effective using larger Shrimps or Prawns. I like using the largest size available at the most reasonable price. The best quality often are the Shrimps/Prawns from Mexico sold under the "Ocean Garden" brand. Even farm raised can be used by adjusting the seasonings to enhance the flavors.

Alternative Shell Fish can be "Scallops", "Slipper Lobsters", "Lobster Tails" on their own or combined. The costs would be comparable to that of your Fillet Mignon Roast.

The effect of this dish is enhanced by your doing the majority of preparation in advance since the actual cooking takes less then 15 minutes and can be held warm in the oven for as long as 1 hour before serving. But cooking it allowing the aromas to permeate the kitchen is a little theatrical, but effective in making it so special with it being cooked, presented and served together.

Peel your Shrimps leaving the tails on for effect and making them easier to enjoy, plate and display.

Split them partially them press them under the flat side of your knife or chopper to butterfly them as it looks nice when served and speeds up the cooking process.

Any other Seafood to be combined or cooked in place should be also checked and set aside.

Ingredients:

Shrimps or ? ( I use 12/1 pound) 3/4 per person

Leaf Parsley {Italian, or Chinese), diced fine (2 bunches)

Curly Parsley, diced fine {1 bunch}

Garlic Cloves, diced fine (4/5 per person)

Dry White wine (to taste generously)

All Purpose Flour (placed into a bowl or pie tin) about 1 1/2 cups

Grated Parmesan Cheese ( to cover pan surface, lightly or to taste)

White Pepper (lightly cover pan)

Demi-Glace (can be beef or chicken) 6/7 Table spoons

Sweet Butter (4/6 cubes)

Fresh Lemons squeezed into Juice. (2 ounces per person)

Preparation:

Heat Pan at high heat.

Put Butter into pan, keeping it moving until it melts without letting it burn.

Add Garlic, stirring until it begins to simmer.

Pick up some Shrimps by the tail, place them into the flour pressing them into it on one side shaking off excess flour. Hold on Platter until all are floured.

Put Shrimps into Pan, flour side down keep stirring in melted butter and garlic.

Cover them for about one minute

As soon as the garlic begins to brown add Wine still stirring. The Shrimps will start becoming opaque, turning pinkish or reddish.

Sprinkle on White Pepper

Add the Parsleys, followed by the Lemon Juice still stirring. Add some wine if necessary to keep the sauce moist.

Cover again for one minute

Add the Demi-Glace, stir until absorbed and blended into the sauce.

Sprinkle on the Parmesan Cheese, give everything a final stir and put into the oven covered at 225 degrees until served.

Before serving stir again.

This compliments French, Italian or even Garlic Bread when being served sliced thinly so it can be used to mop up the sauce.

There are several acceptable Demi-Glaces being marketed or it's not difficult to make your own. I make mine using Shin Beef or any Lean Beef together with Chicken wings and Feet simmering together until the beef begins falling apart on a low heat. (the Meat from the Wings and Beef can be chopped up and used in Dumplings, Chili or Mexican Dishes after seasoning)

Strain and liquid, allow to cool, place in Refrigerator. Peel fat that has raised to the top from the liquid then put back on the stove to simmer uncovered until reduced to a thick liquid, again allow to cool.

I then pour the still warm liquid into Ice Cube Treys and place into my freezer. After freezing I put into Freezer Zip Lock Baggies and take out cubes when ever required in cooking. They thaw quickly in a Microwave as they are gelatinous.

Adding the Demi-Glace enhances the taste and flavors in a natural way. It's one of the easiest way to make a dish get character naturally and used by many of the best chefs.

If you try this please tell us about your thoughts on eGullet. If you have any questions I will be glad to clarify.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

When I was down in New Orleans helping out with the Willie Mae Scotch House project Chef John Besh cooked fillets one day and served them a long side a simple lump crab slaw. It was delicious.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."