• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toast of the Town: the test to find the best

Gifted Gourmet

Slate article

I have taken it upon myself to seek out the best toaster. For the past several weeks, I have pushed eight toasters to the very limits of bread-browning. I have crammed oversized bagels into too-narrow slots. I have poured crumbs into the toasters and then tried to clean them. I have gingerly fished out English muffins .. I threw a toaster party as well, inviting over friends and family who, as it turns out, have strong opinions about toasters. People argued. Lines were drawn. Punches were thrown.

The toasters which were tested:

T-Fal Avanté Deluxe 4-Slice

Michael Graves 2-Slice

Dualit 4-Slice

Cuisinart 4-Slice

Proctor Silex 2-Slice

Krups 2-Slice Digital

KitchenAid Pro Line 2-Slice

DeLonghi Aluminum 2-Slice

Which was the winner and why?

Did price equal quality?

Do you own any of those listed here?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Slate article
I have taken it upon myself to seek out the best toaster. For the past several weeks, I have pushed eight toasters to the very limits of bread-browning. I have crammed oversized bagels into too-narrow slots. I have poured crumbs into the toasters and then tried to clean them. I have gingerly fished out English muffins .. I threw a toaster party as well, inviting over friends and family who, as it turns out, have strong opinions about toasters. People argued. Lines were drawn. Punches were thrown.

The toasters which were tested:

T-Fal Avanté Deluxe 4-Slice

Michael Graves 2-Slice

Dualit 4-Slice

Cuisinart 4-Slice

Proctor Silex 2-Slice

Krups 2-Slice Digital

KitchenAid Pro Line 2-Slice

DeLonghi Aluminum 2-Slice

Which was the winner and why?

Did price equal quality?

Do you own any of those listed here?

What was the Dualit model tested ?

I replaced my old 2 slot Dualit with a 4 slot KitchenAid last year.

The KitchenAid is now occupying a landfill site somewhere in the UK

as it was poorly screwed together and did not fulfil our toasting demands.

I now have a 2+2 Combi Dualit which I cannot fault, so I would go for

the Dualit based on ability, flexibility, build quality and style.

As far as I'm concerned price does equal quality.

Thank you for your personal experience with this particular toaster, Mike. I consider that a significant constructive opinion and will use it in thinking about a toaster purchase.

and I, too, have to agree that quite often price does equate with quality... that said, I also read this over again:

My criticisms may not dissuade Dualit devotees, but the toaster is not perfect, and for $320 ($220 for the two-slice), I expect perfection.
:hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I have the Cusinart, and I have to say, I haven't experienced any of the problems with uneven toasting etc that they cite.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thank you for your personal experience with this particular toaster, Mike. I consider that a significant constructive opinion and will use it in thinking about a toaster purchase.

and I, too, have to agree that quite often price does equate with quality... that said, I also read this over again:

My criticisms may not dissuade Dualit devotees, but the toaster is not perfect, and for $320 ($220 for the two-slice), I expect perfection.
:hmmm:

I know how the reviewer feels, I was expecting perfection from the KitchenAid :unsure:

I would also question the $320 price tag on the Dualit. :shock:

I have only one word of warning about Dualit, always buy the chrome models as they have had problems with the paint finishes on the coloured ones.

My old 2 slot lasted 12 years and I'm confident that the new one will be every bit as good. The KitchenAid lasted all of 8 months. :wacko:

And then there is the Jenn Air Attrezzi toaster. Incredibly stylish and priced from $169. - $200. for the two slice model (price is based on finish).

The whole Attrezzi line of mixers, blenders and toasters are so design looking that you can't imagine they are any good and yet they are Jenn Air and close examination shows very well made equipment. I've heard almost nothing about them though exact for one friend who loves her mixer despite the glass bowl.

Anyone else seen or tried these?

Is a toaster really better than an oven for toasting bread? Apart from being generally easier? I mean, does even a very expensive toaster produce better toast than an oven? For me, just to register my vote (although I've never had an expensive toaster), I prefer bread toasted in an oven.

• 4 months later...

Any new comments?

I'm looking for a 4-slice toaster and cannot determine by reading the linked article if the KA 4-slice model would rate as highly as the 2-slice model that's reviewed in the article.

I'm looking for something fast, consistent, easy to clean and durable. Ideally, I'd like separate temperature controls for each 2-slot bay.

Any recommendations or guidance on this front would be greatly appreciated.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I have the 4 slice Cuisinart and it works fine. But it isn't what I use. My favourite toaster is actually the Cuisinart Convection Toaster oven. I don't really use it for much other than toast. And it gets used every day for that. I prefer my toast well toasted and although the toaster oven does take a little longer, I still like it the best. Plus I make almost all of my own bread as well as bagels and with the toaster oven it doesn't matter what size loaf I make, it will accommodate every size and shaped slice.

Ann

I have the 4 slice Cuisinart and it works fine. But it isn't what I use.  My favourite toaster is actually the Cuisinart Convection Toaster oven. . .

I love my Cuisinart toaster oven.  And, since I'm often making toast for five, I do notice that the second and third batches take less time.

I love the 'oven' aspects of my current toaster oven and do not want to make a change in that area. It's relatively large -- and cooks as an oven and a broiler very well. But it makes toast very slowly and somewhat unevenly. That's why I'm looking for a stand-alone toaster. I'm not crazy about dividing the tasks between 2 appliances but I'm resigned to it and I have just enough counter space to accomodate doing so without a losing a ton of usuable area.

Surely, some folks around here must be in love with their toasters . . . :wink:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I have the KA Pro-Line 4 slice with all the attachments. Works like a champ, perfectly for about 2 years now.

An early design problem was discovered and KA gave us a new Toaster.

Only problem I have is that its made in China and I prefer KA USA appliances, but it does match the Pro-Line Waffle Iron, Food Processor, Frozen Dessert Maker and Blender which also work very well. -Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

I have the 4 slice Cuisinart and it works fine. But it isn't what I use.  My favourite toaster is actually the Cuisinart Convection Toaster oven. . .

I love my Cuisinart toaster oven.  And, since I'm often making toast for five, I do notice that the second and third batches take less time.

I love the 'oven' aspects of my current toaster oven and do not want to make a change in that area. It's relatively large -- and cooks as an oven and a broiler very well. But it makes toast very slowly and somewhat unevenly. That's why I'm looking for a stand-alone toaster. I'm not crazy about dividing the tasks between 2 appliances but I'm resigned to it and I have just enough counter space to accomodate doing so without a losing a ton of usuable area.

Surely, some folks around here must be in love with their toasters . . . :wink:

=R=

Ron, I'm afraid that I'm another fan of the Cuisinart Toaster oven. I do not find it toasting unevenly. It is versatile, easy to clean, well-made and efficient. Surely, you can find something else to take up your counterspace? :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz