• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sputnik Horseradish and Basil Vodkas

Bill Poster

Are these for Cocktails or cooking? They do a rose petal vodka also.

For drinking, silly wabbit.

The Horseradish is for Bloody Marys and Oyster Shots, the Basil for cocktails (try some in Ginger Ale or as a savory martini) and the Rosepetal I'd need to work on, but I suspect it would make for a nice martini with a fragrant accompaniment like Lillet or Martini & Rossi Bianco.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Are these for Cocktails or cooking? They do a rose petal vodka also.

They're for savory cocktails, which are quite similar to cooking. Instead of tonic water and ginger ale, you're working with beef broth and clam juice. :) The entire area is pretty undeveloped. Most people would prefer to keep their steak and their vodka seperate.

I haven't had this brand before, and I'd be interested in knowing how strong of a horseradish taste the vodka has. I made some myself (just soaking a few slices of horseradish in vodka), and even diluting two to one with regular vodka gives that horseradish-up-your-nose effect when drinking it straight. It's great when used in a bloody mary, but only as an additive, not as the only alcohol.

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

I haven't had this brand before, and I'd be interested in knowing how strong of a horseradish taste the vodka has. I made some myself (just soaking a few slices of horseradish in vodka), and even diluting two to one with regular vodka gives that horseradish-up-your-nose effect when drinking it straight. It's great when used in a bloody mary, but only as an additive, not as the only alcohol.

I have tried both the horseradish and the basil. they are both *okay*. for me the horseradish wasn't strong enough and the basil was a bit off. neither was high quality enough to be sipped neat/over ice, nor strongly flavored enough to stand up in a cocktail. i do agree, however, that the horseradish/oyster combo sounds amazing. so maybe these are meant for food...but i don't think there is a business case to be made there.

overall i think it is a strong idea, and could be brilliant if executed properly.

Are these for Cocktails or cooking?

I had a huge bottle of neat vodka waiting to be used up, but since I came across Nigella Lawson's recipe for pasta alla vodka, I've almost finished the bottle. Great and easy dish! Nigella uses chilli infused vodka, but I cannot see why basil one wouldn't work just as well - it gives a nice tanginess to the tomato sauce.