• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the new venture on West 2nd?

Glenys

Driving towards Granville Island from Books to Cooks I noticed a new space that looks somewhat like an eatery and yet not. With much in the news this week (NYT, careers.ca) about meal assembly kitchens, I wondered if it might be just that. Anyone know?

Is it Dinnerworks?  It is around that area, but on Third.

http://www.dinnerworks.com/

Thanks, that's it. Should have gone with initial thought of W 3rd. Interesting that their PR piece features Mexican Lasagne, as was the case on the carreer.tv piece on Edmonton's Dinner Revolution.

Anyone who starts tauting "Mexican" lasagne as part of a "revolution" should be spanked.

Thanks, that's it. Should have gone with initial thought of W 3rd. Interesting that their PR piece features Mexican Lasagne, as was the case on the carreer.tv piece on Edmonton's Dinner Revolution.

Anyone who starts tauting "Mexican" lasagne as part of a "revolution" should be spanked.

Spanking not included.

Edited by Glenys (log)

Spanking not included.

Bravo, Glenys. :biggrin:

It's the fastest growing sector in the food service industry - in fact it's exploding and the newscast tonight is just one example. But first, let me declare: Dinnerworks is owned by my niece Allison and her husband Chris Roscoe. They first tripped over the concept in the Phoenix suburbs and have tried to translate it to an urban location.

It's not necessarily for eGulleteers with an intense interest in cooking, but rather aimed at families or folks with very busy lifestyles, especially two-income families on the fly. The theory being that a family can eat healthfully together at the table for about $4.50 per head - or about the cost of a fast food 'meal'.

Is it as good as my two-day coq au vin? No. But is it better than pizza in a box? Having now tried out a few of them, I can report that I think it is. Certainly the early response has been positive, with numbers growing every week.

>> Here's the link to the discussion in General Food Topics. <<

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

It's the fastest growing sector in the food service industry - in fact it's exploding and the newscast tonight is just one example. But first, let me declare: Dinnerworks is owned by my niece Allison and her husband Chris Roscoe. They first tripped over the concept in the Phoenix suburbs and have tried to translate it to an urban location.

It's not necessarily for eGulleteers with an intense interest in cooking, but rather aimed at families or folks with very busy lifestyles, especially two-income families on the fly. The theory being that a family can eat healthfully together at the table for about $4.50 per head - or about the cost of a fast food 'meal'.

Is it as good as my two-day coq au vin? No. But is it better than pizza in a box? Having now tried out a few of them, I can report that I think it is. Certainly the early response has been positive, with numbers growing every week.

Are they aware of this new operation? Certainly seems like a popular concept.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Hello everybody,

It's been a little while since I've last posted, however, this topic caught my eye. The new venture on West 2nd avenue is one of those new meal assembly outlets that everyone is buzzing about. It is called Sensational Suppers (www.sensationalsuppers.com) and one of the principal owners is Dean Mallel of Incendio, Incendio West, and Stella's Tap and Tapas fame. The space will be gorgeous modern art gallery meets urban-cool professional kitchen. I am personally looking forward to it opening, since my partner is a chef, therefore, we eat a lot of take-out on our days off!

Cheers,

Jennifer Bragg

Manager

Stella's Tap and Tapas

"People go to restaurants for hundreds of reasons, and food is only one of them." -Ruth Reichl

Hello everybody,

It's been a little while since I've last posted, however, this topic caught my eye. The new venture on West 2nd avenue is one of those new meal assembly outlets that everyone is buzzing about. It is called Sensational Suppers (www.sensationalsuppers.com) and one of the principal owners is Dean Mallel of Incendio, Incendio West, and Stella's Tap and Tapas fame. The space will be gorgeous modern art gallery meets urban-cool professional kitchen. I am personally looking forward to it opening, since my partner is a chef, therefore, we eat a lot of take-out on our days off!

Cheers,

Jennifer Bragg

Manager

Stella's Tap and Tapas

I'm so glad you posted. I couldn't for the life of me remember what Dean had said the name of the operation was, when I saw him with Simi Sara, as I referred to in my above post. I had tried searching via the interenet last week for the name, to no avail.

Sounds like it's going to be great! :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I actually co-taught a class with a woman a couple years ago who was working on a similar concept called "Month of Sundays". She was more oriented to the community kitchens aspect of the deal but to me it needed more of a club than a community perspective, especially when people participating have fairly urbane tastebuds. In the last week the press from around the contintent (NYT, Washington Post, NPR) has been huge. Congratulations to them.