• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Names

rich

There used to be a Chinese place near us called the "Fukien Gourmet." Name has since been changed to the Hunan Gourmet. Probably too many smart-a**ed kids calling up.

Rick Azzarano

In Montreal we used to eat at the restaurant named in english Mother Tucker's or not so suggestively in french Chez la Mer Tucker. Was OK roast beef kind of place in a large old mansion. Had one of the biggest salad bars with good variety around.

I understand they have closed.

Edited by wilewil (log)

The best restaurant name is Hooters.

They serve food there? I thought it was just a place to see and be seen.

people go to hooters to be seen?? :shock:

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Everytime I see 'El Bulli' I think E Coli! Like the main course at Sam & Ella's Diner!

The first time I saw the name El Bulli I thought it was the restaurant associated with the Bully Hill winery in the Finger Lakes.

But as I became more sophisticated I found out it was run by the parents of those children who terrorize the smaller kids at school. :wacko:

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

The best restaurant name is Hooters.

They serve food there? I thought it was just a place to see and be seen.

people go to hooters to be seen?? :shock:

Just the waitresses.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Worst: Flo's Kitchen and Discount Shoes, somewhere in Florida yesteryear

Sweatt's Barbeque, in Nashville (supposed to be wonderful, but I could never get past the name)

Best: I've never been there, so don't disillusion me, but The Rainbow Room has always conjured up romantic dining with dancing and candlelight. (Ballroom dancing was my passion in life for a seven-year period not too long ago.)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Best: I've never been there, so don't disillusion me, but The Rainbow Room has always conjured up romantic dining with dancing and candlelight. (Ballroom dancing was my passion in life for a seven-year period not too long ago.)

I won't disillusion you. Nice name, great bar, terrific view - go for a drink and make dinner reservations somewhere else. (Citarella is right down the block.)

Rich Schulhoff

There was a resteraunt we stumbled across in Hollywood, FL. El Burro (the ass). We had a great meal. It was Cuban food and cooked by Columbians. Very nice time, I doubt that it still exists.

Cakes

There a couple of bar cafes around NZ called "coyote" and in Auckland itself a "coyote bar", everytime I hear the names I picture half naked girls dancing on the bar. Nothing like a movie to name your establishment after.

Latte Da (coffeehouse chain)

That's also the name of one of the better restaurants in Key West FL but they spell it as La Te Da.

House of Poon, Rochester NY

I can't help but asking what beverages they serve - do they have the stuff that astronauts drink? :laugh::wink:

My favorite here in the Syracuse area seemed innocuous enough to me until a Jewish colleague who had moved here from Long Island pointed it out as a poor choice if your customers know the phonetic pronunciation of some basic Yiddish words. It's a local submarine sandwich shop chain named after the initials of the original partners - named: Jreck Subs. My friend's comment - "so they serve what... a shit sandwich?"

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away I worked as a server at a fish restaurant in Manhattan called The Butterfish Hole.

Bet you all can guess what the servers called it..... :biggrin:

Stephanie Kay

We B Sushi, formerly in Sunnyvale, CA (ate there once, it wasn't outstanding, but it wasn't wonderful). They had to change their name from "Sushi R Us" because of that toy store chain....

The Hungry Heifer in Castle Rock, CO. Never been there, but they advertise on the "food" sign for the exit.

The Frog and Peach, Vancouver, Canada. The food was great, but my dining companion and I spent a lot of the dinner giggling, remembering the old comedy routine "frog a la peche, and peche a la frog".

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

My hometown of Halifax, NS, boasts a few offbeat names...

Lawrence of Oregano

Alfredo, Weinstein, and Ho (what, doesn't every town have an Italian/Jewish/Chinese joint...with a magician on staff to entertain during dinner?)

The Tickle Trunk (the Canadian equivalents to Mr. Rogers and Captain Kangaroo were The Friendly Giant and Mr. Dressup...and Mr. Dressup's "dress up" stuff came out of what he called his "Tickle Trunk")

Your Father's Moustache

But my favourite east-coast eatery name was a roadside diner near the small Newfoundland town of Pinchgut, called (inevitably) Pinchgut Diner.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

not to veer away from zany and funny restaurant names but one of the most beautiful names is that of the chinese restaurant at the taj palace hotel in new delhi: the teahouse of the august moon. haven't eaten there in more than 10 years but the food was pretty good and the decor stunning.

back to the zany: there's a bbq place in the san fernando valley north of l.a called uncle hoggly woggly's tyler, texas barbecue

crappy name: olive garden--don't olives grow in groves? i hate that name so much i can't bring myself to eat there either.

There's a place around the corner from my apartment which has a sign with big letters in English: "PRESERVATION HALL". Whenever someone comes to Lyon to meet me and has never been in my neighborhood, I tell them to meet me there for a beer - :biggrin: I also pronounce it like this: "PRESERVATION HALL" with a radio DJ's accent. For some reason it strikes me a hilariously funny. :laugh:

I hate those "funny" chain names that are suddenly springing up all round here: Philthy McNasty, Crabby Joe's. They are strangely popular, particularly for work-related shindigs. Just adds to my stand-offish snob reputation, because I will not go there.

There was (maybe still is) a Chinese place in the east end of Ottawa called Hung Fatt. That always provided a big laugh in high school.

I recall seeing either in London, or on engrish.com, can't remember where, a Chinese place known as 'Pumpkin Poo'

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide