• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Licorice

gfron1

Wow, I'm not quite sure how to report my 30 seconds of research to egullet. A simple google search of "black licorice green" resulted in numerous web pages. The very first was www.poopreport.com...now that's scary enough that such a website exists. But on the site there are all sorts of people reporting green fecal matter following large consumptions of black licorice.

BTW, someone earlier reported missing licorice ice cream. The poop report site said that Cold Stone Creamery had it just a few months ago.

Cheers!

Edited by gfron1 (log)

• 2 weeks later...
I've always loved black licorice. Baskin and Robbins used to have a licorice ice-cream that was almost a true black .....

I'm glad that someone else remembers their licorice ice cream. I remember as a really young kid, we'd go in the evenings to the swimming pool. Afterwards, we'd go to Baskin and Robbins for ice cream. One of my fond memories was getting the licorice ice cream and turning my tongue (sorta) black.

Fun stuff.

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

I am also a big licorice fan.  There is an American cultivar but my great-grandmother who was an amateur herbalist, brought seeds with her from England and gave strict instructions on how to plant, cultivate and harvest it, then process the roots for the extract which was used for medicinal purposes, as well as for candies.  We had hard candies and a sort of taffy that was flavored with the home made extract. 

Ok, I have to ask ... How do you make the extract ? I tried boiling some licorice root one time and the results were less than desireable. I'd like to give it a try again if I can figure out how to get it coming out tasting right. Licorice root can (last I checked) be purchased through San Francisco Herb (http://www.sfherb.com).

Thanks,

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

does anyone know of licorice candy (specifically ropes or jelly beans) that are clear??

My mom loves black jelly beans, but when she smiles you can always tell that she has been eating them! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Black Jack! That gum is still available. Yum. How about SenSen? I adore that stuff. I eat a lot of licorice, and I chew on sticks of the root when I'm at the hospital. It gives me something to focus on without eating sugar or salt. Does anyone remember the soft Callard & Bowser licorice? That and their hard butterscotch, oh, I dream of them!

Yes! Yes!

What ever happened to those????

I loved them both!!

Thanks for bumping this back up. It reminds me that I bought a bag of some black licorice, thick chunks or rather, short pieces of "rope" at Wal-Mart. Very soft, chewy and intense flavor.

I was surprised, it is the best I have tasted for a long, long time.

It is like the old-fashioned Switzer's from 40+ years ago. (I think they changed the formula in the mid-60s because it didn't taste the same to me.)

When I was a child, every time we went to St. Louis for a dog show, we used to pass the huge Switzer's sign on the side of their building.

This stuff I found at Wal-Mart, hanging next to the large bags of Good & Plenty (bought some of that also!)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Black Jack! That gum is still available. Yum. How about SenSen? I adore that stuff. I eat a lot of licorice, and I chew on sticks of the root when I'm at the hospital. It gives me something to focus on without eating sugar or salt. Does anyone remember the soft Callard & Bowser licorice? That and their hard butterscotch, oh, I dream of them!

Yes! Yes!

I loved them both!!

The Callard & Bowser soft licorice is no longer available but I'm not sure about their butterscotch. :sad:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

When I left the States to move overseas last year, I packed a carton of Licorice Altoids. Once I open a tin of them, the entire contents disappear in a matter of hours. Addictive. Wonderful.

I have one tin left it is a licorice-hating friend's fridge. For safekeeping. She rations out a dozen or so a week.

... Does anyone remember the soft Callard & Bowser licorice? That and their hard butterscotch, oh, I dream of them!

Yes! Yes!

I loved them both!!

I don't think they're in production any longer. At least, I can't locate them through my various nefarious 'sources', internet and otherwise! But, there is an Irish licorice, Oatfield Licorice Toffee, that a nice boy sent me recently :rolleyes: . It's pretty close to the Callard & Bowser licorice of my memories. I think I'll have to take a piece of it to my local candy monger and have him research it. He's very nice, but not too able to accomodate my searches, it seems. I asked for him to get the kosher Haribo Twin Cherries gummies (solely distributed by Paskez), but he says that he isn't able to buy them :sad: . I asked him to try and find Katja DropVis for me (it's a mildly salted licorice that's dipped in sugar crystals). I'm willing to buy an entire case at a time, and I told him so. He just couldn't be bothered. I'm just one girl, so I can't actually consume enough candy for my special quirks to be worth his while, I suppose. I need to form a candy grrl gang.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

... Does anyone remember the soft Callard & Bowser licorice? That and their hard butterscotch, oh, I dream of them!

Yes! Yes!

I loved them both!!

I don't think they're in production any longer. At least, I can't locate them through my various nefarious 'sources', internet and otherwise! But, there is an Irish licorice, Oatfield Licorice Toffee, that a nice boy sent me recently :rolleyes: . It's pretty close to the Callard & Bowser licorice of my memories. I think I'll have to take a piece of it to my local candy monger and have him research it. He's very nice, but not too able to accomodate my searches, it seems. I asked for him to get the kosher Haribo Twin Cherries gummies (solely distributed by Paskez), but he says that he isn't able to buy them :sad: . I asked him to try and find Katja DropVis for me (it's a mildly salted licorice that's dipped in sugar crystals). I'm willing to buy an entire case at a time, and I told him so. He just couldn't be bothered. I'm just one girl, so I can't actually consume enough candy for my special quirks to be worth his while, I suppose. I need to form a candy grrl gang.

Callard & Bowser were swallowed up :rolleyes: by the Suchard group who recently ceased toffee production for the UK market.

Don't know of any alternative apart from Thorntons who make a reasonable licorice toffee but don't know if it's available in the states.

Thanks for bumping this back up.  It reminds me that I bought a bag of some black licorice, thick chunks or rather, short pieces of "rope" at Wal-Mart.  Very soft, chewy and intense flavor. 

I was surprised, it is the best I have tasted for a long, long time. 

It is like the old-fashioned Switzer's from 40+ years ago.  (I think they changed the formula in the mid-60s because it didn't taste the same to me.)

When I was a child, every time we went to St. Louis for a dog show, we used to pass the huge Switzer's sign on the side of their building.

This stuff I found at Wal-Mart, hanging next to the large bags of Good & Plenty (bought some of that also!)

I saw it at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago and today I saw it at Target (also hanging near the Good & Plenty!) I am 99.9% sure it is Kookaburra, made in Australia, but it is not identified as such on the bags. I've carried Kookaburra in bulk at my shop for some time and it's very popular. However, it's very discouraging to see it in big box stores at not much more than my wholesale cost.

Ilene

When I left the States to move overseas last year, I packed a carton of Licorice Altoids. Once I open a tin of them, the entire contents disappear in a matter of hours. Addictive. Wonderful.

I have one tin left it is a licorice-hating friend's fridge. For safekeeping. She rations out a dozen or so a week.

I know exactly how you are with them...I have a tin on my desk at work. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cook456 (log)

• 1 year later...

Nice photo Verjuice!

There is a licorice liquore from Calabria Liquore di Liquiriza that intensely combines the best of both of those worlds.

Anybody know how I can make a licorice syrup? I want a barely liquid licorice... so I've been googling around, and now I have another question: what is 'pure licorice'? The recipe that I'm looking at (clicca qui...it's in Italian) calls for pure licorice and licorice root.

So, what form is pure licorice in?

And just because it's very entertaining, here's a link to someone in Beijing with a serious licorice obession: Palazzo Pizzo.

gallery_11735_5463_9700.jpg

gallery_11735_5463_12439.jpg

Just.... beyond.

My girlfriend bought a bag of the raspberry one at Selfridges today. I might have to steal a piece off her if she has any left.

ETA: It's addictive! Grr.... And it's Harvey Nichols, apparently...

Edited by miladyinsanity (log)

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

gallery_11735_5463_9700.jpg

gallery_11735_5463_12439.jpg

Just.... beyond.

My girlfriend bought a bag of the raspberry one at Selfridges today. I might have to steal a piece off her if she has any left.

ETA: It's addictive! Grr.... And it's Harvey Nichols, apparently...

I tried the raspberry flavor when my sister bought it. It's not licorice to me, but a tasty, sticky, chewy candy -- did you notice the chapstick-like nuances or was it just me?

The black licorice, however, is amazing: dense, spicy, creamy, delicious.

Good thread, this. And very useful: my husband loves licorice in just about all its forms and I am putting together a selection of different types that will fill the bread pan he's getting as one of his gifts.

Two questions:

1) I adore the Lakrits in the little boxes, but I can't find them any more. So last year I went online and found a few candy outlets where I could order them in bulk. I ordered 5 lbs, which seemed absurd, but I couldn't find any smaller quantities. All the Lakrits on line --sometimes called Lentils--appear to come from the same candymaker, Koppers Chocolates. Long story short, they weren't as good as the ones in the little boxes. The chocolate seemed poorer quality. Am I nuts? Needless to say we ate all of them eventually but they were missing some quality or other. Are the ones in the little box made by some other company? Is it just because nothing takes like it used to taste?

2) The easiest way I know to irritate my husband is to pronounce licorice like this: licoriss. He says licorish. What do you say? How would a Brit say it? For some dopey reason it sounds more delicious to me the first way.

I am half way through making licorice icecream right now I have made the mix but haven't run it through my machine yet. When I made it it was the most horrid shade of browny green so i had to add some black food coloring to make it look appetising. I used a pile of soft licorice and tried to melt it down in the cream on the stove but it took forever. eventually i had to strain it to get out the stubborn lumps but at least it tastes like proper eating licorice.

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

1) I adore the Lakrits in the little boxes, but I can't find them any more. So last year I went online and found a few candy outlets where I could order them in bulk. I ordered 5 lbs, which seemed absurd, but I couldn't find any smaller quantities. All  the Lakrits on line --sometimes called Lentils--appear to come from the same candymaker, Koppers Chocolates. Long story short, they weren't as good as the ones in the little boxes. The chocolate seemed poorer quality. Am I nuts? Needless to say we ate all of them eventually but they were missing some quality or other. Are the ones in the little box made by some other company? Is it just because nothing takes like it used to taste?

:wub: Real Lakrits are made in Sweden; I haven't seen them in years. I don't recall the manufacturer's name, but would love to find the candies again.

I am half way through making licorice icecream right now I have made the mix but haven't run it through my machine yet. When I made it it was the most horrid shade of browny green so i had to add some black food coloring to make it look appetising. I used a pile of soft licorice and tried to melt it down in the cream on the stove but it took forever. eventually i had to strain it to get out the stubborn lumps but at least it tastes like proper eating licorice.

Natho, how did it come out?

You tried melting the licorice, directly over heat, in cream? Just want to be sure I understand the process. What remained? Just blobs that wouldn't melt?

I haven't worked myself up to this yet...and I'm still trying to figure out what 'pure licorice' might be.

I still haven't put it through the machine yet :hmmm: but it tastes just like the eating licorice i used with a bit of an egg taste in the background (it had 4 egg yolks in it)

When I made it yes I just put the milk, cream and licorice on the stove and put it over a low heat and stirred it. I got sick of waiting after about 35 minutes or so and started mashing the lumps of licorice against the side of the pan and then smearing them around to dissolve it. Most of it eventually dissolved but there was a rather gooey mess left behind in the strainer. If i ever decide to do this again i think i will use star anise or something instead. But the mixture does taste just like the licorice i used, rather than just a generic aniside flavour.

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

Well I ran it through the machine and now it's icecream. It's pretty good. Maybe i would sweeten it a bit more and put one less eggyolk in it but it's definitely not bad. I don't know why but it tastes way better after freezing then before. Great texture, very smooth.

I am currently reading Herve This' book "Kitchen Mysteries". Early in the book he discusses the 'New Physiology of Flavor' and shows how the faulty study back in 1916, of receptor localization (taste buds) in the mouth led to the theory of humans only being able to perceive four tastes, salty, sour, sweet and bitter. Herve This debunks this and offers licorice as proof, which because of its glycyrrhizic acid, is neither sweet, nor bitter, nor salty, nor sour.

What would you call the taste?

Edited by Ted Fairhead (log)