• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olive Garden

Daniel

Here's the deal with the salad and breadsticks: both have to be ordered dry. With the salad, ask for oil and vinegar on the side. With the breadsticks, ask them not to spread any of that artificial-tasting crap topping on them (this not only gets you better breadsticks but also forces them to be baked to order). It's a weak meal, to be sure, but if you happen to be in strip-mall purgatory and it's the only option because it's Sunday and Chick-Fil-A is closed, you can survive on salad and breadsticks at Olive Garden.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

And to think that there is a vast spectrum of peole who LOVE the Evil Garden.  Where do they reside,  on your cul-de-sac and work in your office and their children go to school with your children.

Maybe it's different elsewhere, but here in New York it's really a class thing.

I don't live in a cul-de-sac, but I can assure you that nobody in my building would go to (or at least admit to going to) Olive Garden. And if anybody in my office would, it certainly wouldn't be anyone in a professional position.

That's not to say that all these people are foodies, much less that they all have equisite taste. Just that they'd have different class-specific bad places to go to.

This reminds me of the Yogi Berra quote on a (in)famous midtown restaurant. "No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Grandma took me to the Olive Garden in Florida at least 15 years ago. I had no idea it was a chain restaurant. I thought it was a neighborhood Italian joint. Did it suck? Even then, prior to my now refined tastes :raz: it sucked. I can remember asking my granddmother why she chose this piece of crap place, and her insistance that it was close to home and decent. Mediocrity wins in the good ol' USA.

I at least voted for a Carabba's, which I have not been to, but thought would have been better...

And you would have been correct. Having in the past dated several different women who were quite enthused about OG (yes it is a tragic fact well known here in the world of eGullet) I've been exposed to it on numerous occasions. And I have yet to ever try a single entree I coudl safely recommend to any reasonably discerning diner.

But I've eaten at both Carraba's and Macaroni Grill and had decent enoughh meals at both.

This is gonna sound snobby, but I don't mean it that way. And maybe we're existing in different worlds (I'm a nearly 50-year-old lawyer). But how do you come to meet people who are enthused about OG? I just never run into people like that. (After some expensive dates, I almost wish I would meet someone who'd be satisfied with OG.) (Then I wake up.)

(See note in prior post about this doesn't mean the people I know all have good taste or anything.)

But I've eaten at both Carraba's and Macaroni Grill and had decent enoughh meals at both.

Neither of which are in New York City!

I am glad to hear Macaroni Grill isn't thoroughly despised. I went to the one near Princeton, NJ once, back when I had a car and a reason to go to Princeton, and I quite enjoyed my cannelloni. I believe I enjoyed the bread quite a bit as well and most especially the check, totalling about $10.50 for a meal and a coke.

Without a car, however, I'm more lost than Daniel. I know there are tons of Italian restaurants with okay food and okay prices and plenty with good food and prices that scare me very much. I wouldn't for a second know what to recommend.

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

This is gonna sound snobby, but I don't mean it that way.  And maybe we're existing in different worlds (I'm a nearly 50-year-old lawyer).  But how do you come to meet people who are enthused about OG?  I just never run into people like that.  (After some expensive dates, I almost wish I would meet someone who'd be satisfied with OG.)  (Then I wake up.)

(See note in prior post about this doesn't mean the people I know all have good taste or anything.)

conversely, how do you manage to meet only people who share your tastes? in everything?

Oh, it's bad. So bad. I ate there a few times during college, and could not believe how bad it was. I mean, at least at TGI Friday's, you're going for chicken fingers, which are hard to really mess up.

I will also chime in with my opinion that Macaroni Grill is far superior to Olive Garden.

However, I agree with FG, here - Daniel, you should go, at least once, to see what people who live in areas where Olive Garden and its ilk are the only choices endure on a day-to-day basis. It's key to understanding how revolutionary it can be when people in those areas learn to cook. Someone could live in Manhattan for decades and eat like a king without ever turning on the stove. You can't do that in most places.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Without a car, however, I'm more lost than Daniel. I know there are tons of Italian restaurants with okay food and okay prices and plenty with good food and prices that scare me very much. I wouldn't for a second know what to recommend.

I just want to clarify, I am not going because I dont know any good Italian places, I would be going just to see what its all about for myself.. After begging my friends and offering to pay + drinks, I have not found one who will go. And these are not foodies mind you.. These are college friends who I have witnessed eat a stick of butter, a ball of wasabi, warm shots of vodka mixed with tunafish and tabasco, and living off of other people's room service carts in Vegas.. This is really telling me something.. :hmmm: I need new friends :raz:

Edited by Daniel (log)

After begging my friends and offering to pay + drinks, I have not found one who will go.... This is really telling me something..  :hmmm: I need new friends  :raz:

what you need is to tell me what time you'd like me to be there. :biggrin:

Seriously. If there's free hooch involved? :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

These are college friends who I have witnessed eat a stick of butter, a ball of wasabi, warm shots of vodka mixed with tunafish and tabasco, and living off of other people's room service carts in Vegas.. This is really telling me something..  :hmmm: I need new friends  :raz:

Ummmm...I sense the beginnings of another thread here. What's ok to eat off of someone else's room service cart, and what isn't? :unsure::laugh: :laugh:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Good Lord. I feel like I live on a whole 'nother planet.

I've eaten at Olive Garden. Many times, in fact. The service has been excellent, usually. And every meal I've had has been more than edible. Maybe our OG here in Wichita is just a better restaurant than some of the OG's elsewhere.

The salad probably had iceberg lettuce, but it also had other kinds of lettuce, plus tomato wedges, olives, and red onion. The dressing isn't my favorite, but I find it quite edible.

There are other, locally owned, Italian restaurants I'd rather go to, and I've definitely had better food. However, when I had the spaghetti at OG, the sauce was neither runny nor sweet. I've never had dry chicken there; it's always been cooked appropriately. Shrimp... well, what can I say. Sometimes it's been tender, sometimes it's been rubbery. But I've had rubbery shrimp in some damn fine restaurants.

On the other hand, we don't eat at Macaroni Grill because their dishes don't justify their prices. I've never had a downright bad meal there, but nothing I've had there has been memorable. The place depends on lots and lots and lots and lots of cheese.

I'd invite y'all Upscale eGulleters to come to Wichita and give our OG a try, just for the sake of comparison, but I doubt you'd want to be seen with the likes of me, even if you didn't know any of the other low-class types who hang out there who'd be seeing you.

But now I'm curious... what in the hell are you guys eating that is always so incredibly superior to Olive Garden? You must live fabulous lives!

Not even kidding. If I wasnt going somewhere else, i think it would be hilarious to all go.. However, i refuse to plan an Olive Garden outing.. I am going to try to make them go to Ridgefield NJ next... We will see how that works. :raz:

But now I'm curious... what in the hell are you guys eating that is always so incredibly superior to Olive Garden?  You must live fabulous lives!

We're eating Daniel's food. :raz:

To clarify, the service I've had at the Olive Garden has been very attentive. But the food was not good.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

But now I'm curious... what in the hell are you guys eating that is always so incredibly superior to Olive Garden?  You must live fabulous lives!

somewhat fabulous, i'd like to think.

Daniel, if you want to go to Silver Oak, make sure you go to RidgeWOOD, not Ridgefield. however, if you want to go to China 46, go to Ridgefield. both are excellent choices.

I dont think you are understanding what we are saying here.. I apologize if you think its a snob thing, its a food thing.. We here arent living fabulous lives, but we are trying to eat fabulous food. OG is a chain restaurant, that supposedly serves processed gross food..

In New York, this is a New York Forum, there are endless Italian Choices.. The Italian food has heart and history here.. I can make a dinner at home for half the cost of eating at Olive Garden.. And I know what goes into it.. My pasta has flour and eggs.. My sauce has fresh tomatoes, garlic, onion, and whatever else I want..

Please dont look at it like a personal assault, we are just lucky to have great Italian options.. You have us beat on BBQ.. If you do like BBQ it would be like someone from KC going to a Friday's for there ribs.. Or someone from Maine going to Red Lobster, or someone from earth going to Papa Johns, certain things dont make sense...

Edited by Daniel (log)

This is gonna sound snobby, but I don't mean it that way.  And maybe we're existing in different worlds (I'm a nearly 50-year-old lawyer).  But how do you come to meet people who are enthused about OG?  I just never run into people like that.  (After some expensive dates, I almost wish I would meet someone who'd be satisfied with OG.)  (Then I wake up.)

conversely, how do you manage to meet only people who share your tastes? in everything?

I don't. As I said, they go for more (what's the word?) upscale or expensive bad places.

Every time we drive by our local Olive garden the place is packed. My wife will often joke that we ought to eat there. I just guffaw. I have been in the place, but will never darken its or one of its siblings doors again.

I await Daniel's review however. Go for it Daniel. You are young, strong and able to take a good hit.

I don't. As I said, they go for more (what's the word?) upscale or expensive bad places.

So what you really need is a date who likes cheap, good places.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Or, to be fair, more pretentious bad places. I'm not saying they're golddiggers (hey, I made that line up myself; think I could have a hit record?). How can I communicate this? In New York City, certain classes of people aren't gonna be caught dead in a chain restaurant like Olive Garden, irrespective of how serious they are about food or how good their taste is.