• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pullman Bread Pans

devlin

So I'm readying myself to make pumpernickel, but I don't have pullman pans. Is there something else I can substitute for the pullman covers on, say, a standard loaf pan?

At the same time, can somebody give me a good lead on some inexpensive pullman pans?

I tried the suggestion of using an ordinary bread pan and putting another pan on top with a weight - a VERY HEAVY piece of brass - and guess what? The bread rose and there was an almighty BANG as the second pan and the brass weight slid off and crashed onto my oven rack so try it at your peril! I was astounded that bread could have such strength on rising.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You might consider just buying one. You might find that you use it enough to make the cost worth while.

My notes are for regular white bread and whole wheat bread. Dense rye and pumpernickle do not rise as much so you will have to adjust the amount of your dough accordingly.

When experimenting, I would place a loosely wadded piece of aluminum foil at one end which would compress as the dough expanded but still allow the dough to fill the pan to the top. That end of the loaf would be deformed but I just cut off the odd stuff.

I have several and usually use the 4 x 4 x 16 which takes 2 1/2 pounds of dough for a 2 pound loaf finished. You get a denser, very fine crumb. Some vendors sell these for as much as 56.00 but you can find them for less.Pullman loaf pan

this one is 4x4x13 and takes 1 3/4 pounds of dough and do use a scale for the dough after punching down and before shaping, i.e. flattening and rolling into a cylinder slightly longer than the pan and tucking the ends under.

at The Bakers Catalog

This vendor sells the top separately so do your addition.

pullman pan

I have this Hinged bread pan that makes a perfectly round loaf and it is wonderful for pumpernickle.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Well I'm going to try at least one batch this weekend, and won't have an actual pullman pan, so we'll see how it goes. I was a little floored to learn how much the pans cost, but Andiesenji, those are more reasonable than many I've been able to find online. Before I looked them up, I was assuming I could buy a whole lot of them in one fell swoop to take advantage of the residual heat of the brick oven after the first couple of loads. But that's way more bucks than I'm able to fork over all at once.

Thanks for the help folks.

Edited by devlin (log)

I do have one old round (cylinder) pan that has lost one of its wire bails and I hold it closed with a giant hose clamp.

it is the #152 on this page.

You might have to call around to plumbing supply places to find ones that large, but if you have a metal rectangle that is a bit larger than your loaf pan, you can fasten it on with two of these.

I use a recharageable screwdriver/drill to open and close it.

I actually have a shallow and narrow "biscuit pan" I bought at one of the markets that is just a bit longer and an inch or so wider than my regular loaf pans (the 4" x 9") something like that might work.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have any personal experience with a pullman bread pan and suggestions on how to select a good pan for regular home use?

Before someone tells me to search the net, I am looking for suggestions from this forum as egullet has helped me with good advice and information in the past.

• 2 years later...

Andi - I have one of the 4 loaf round pans - do you know weight of dough per loaf? I've had to soak and pry it apart the last time I miscalculated.

I use 1 1/2 pounds per loaf for regular white bread, a little more for denser doughs that don't rise as much.

However, every bread recipe is slightly different in the way it behaves so it is a matter of trial and error.

I usually just bake two loaves at a time one in an end section and with an empty section between the two loaves.