• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Skorppio Vodka: Feel the Sting

Gifted Gourmet

from LiquorSnob

It's produced and bottled in England, not a place we usually associate with the stingy creepy-crawlers, but we were intrigued by more than the arachnid in the bottle. This stuff is five times distilled from 100% single grain (wheat), and if you're curious about the scorpion:  These scorpions are farm raised, not wild. Their diet and environment is controlled to assure their good quality. The scorpions are processed for human consumption, according to high quality food preparation standards. The toxins that make the mild venom of these particular scorpions when alive, are broken down with a special process.

If you are a regular vodka enthusiast, does this have some appeal to you?

Does an insect in a bottle of alcohol bother you? Or are you fine with the tequila-worm issue already? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Can I just say - EWWWWWWWWWW!

What a stupid gimmick. There's nothing even remotely interesting or "authentic" about this. It's pure gimmickry.

I'd be personally quite cautious about this stuff just because I'm pretty severely allergic to other sorts of insect/critter venoms (bee stings, spider bites, jellyfish) so this holds less than no appeal for me.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

from LiquorSnob
It's produced and bottled in England, not a place we usually associate with the stingy creepy-crawlers, but we were intrigued by more than the arachnid in the bottle. This stuff is five times distilled from 100% single grain (wheat), and if you're curious about the scorpion:  These scorpions are farm raised, not wild. Their diet and environment is controlled to assure their good quality. The scorpions are processed for human consumption, according to high quality food preparation standards. The toxins that make the mild venom of these particular scorpions when alive, are broken down with a special process.

If you are a regular vodka enthusiast, does this have some appeal to you?

Does an insect in a bottle of alcohol bother you? Or are you fine with the tequila-worm issue already? :rolleyes:

There is no Tequila with a worm in the bottle. There is a Casta Tequila in a bottle shaped like a worm, but in the bottle, still no worm. If there is a worm in the bottle, it is not tequila. Perhaps you are thinking of Mezcal, which often has an agave larva in the bottle, sometimes even a scorpion...

Marcovaldo Dionysos

Cocktail Geek

cocktailgeek@yahoo.com

What a great way to remind bar customers that alcohol can also be used to preserve lab specimens, and recall in the minds of customers their own experience with science class dissections and the taste/smell of formalin. Alternately, this can remind customers of bugs and other potential health hazards in a food/beverage setting. And perhaps like some out there, I do know of someone who's died from an animal bite (snake, not scorpion). Remind me know, isn't vodka supposed to be colorless and flavorless? You would think an industry trade group would self-censure this one so as not to spoil the party.

Edited by Friend of the Farmer (log)

Can I just say - EWWWWWWWWWW!

What a stupid gimmick.  There's nothing even remotely interesting or "authentic" about this.  It's pure gimmickry.

I'd be personally quite cautious about this stuff just because I'm pretty severely allergic to other sorts of insect/critter venoms (bee stings, spider bites, jellyfish) so this holds less than no appeal for me.

I agree with you 100%. Some may make the comparison to the whole pear in the bottle of brandy, or even the agave in Mezcal, but to me the scorpion, to quote Hanibal Lecter, is "stupid and wrong".

And while I'm not a prude, I also find the scantily-clad women on their website somewhat offensive, esp. the one with the flickering bikini which to me shouts 'our booze sucks but we feature stinging arachnids and vixens' :sad:

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

It might be an interesting gift to the Scorpio in your life. They like creepy things. Or at least this Scorpio does. :rolleyes: While I have no interest in drinking it, it would be a neato Halloween table decoration.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

It might be an interesting gift to the Scorpio in your life. They like creepy things. Or at least this Scorpio does.  :rolleyes:  While I have no interest in drinking it, it would be a neato Halloween table decoration.

I'll take a bottle of undoubtedly better quality vodka on the bar and the scorpion in a jar of formaldehyde where it oughta be as the Halloween decor, thanks.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I wouldn't drink it, but I'd sure like to own it. I think it's beautifully creepy, all under-lit as it is in the photo.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I wouldn't drink it, but I'd sure like to own it.  I think it's beautifully creepy, all under-lit as it is in the photo.

Well, I guess you could get some, if you need another bottle of vodka. Or just buy a scorpion at the pet store and preserve it in under alcohol in a decorative jar.

I haven't had a chance to try them yet; but, the Mezcals cocktailgeek mentions are supposed to be pretty good, if you're looking for something you're planning to consume.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA