• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cancun

lesley

Wow. That makes the Moon Palace look like, well, a palace.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 3 weeks later...

jaybee, i have a fantasy of buying a house in ecuador, so that i can run away from home when i can no longer stand living in the states. my husband quashed the idea immediately, saying we'd never really own the home. we'd show up one day and be told they'd never heard of us down there. i know your story is true.

nonetheless, i love mexico. you probably have no interest in it, but i recommend a book by sam quinones called true tales from another mexico. in short, mexicans are screwed by their paternalistic kleptocratic government. it's the people i love, their food, music, crafts. too bad about all the corruption.

• 1 month later...

Incidentally, it turns out Lesley Simpson is a reporter for a newspaper in Canada (the Spectator) and wrote a nice article about eGullet which included this comment about this thread:

"I posted a query asking for eating recommendations in Cancun and received an e-mail immediately as well as more replies the following day. This e-mail notification system means you don't have to navigate the entire board to follow subjects of interest. The tracking makes the experience efficient and customized."

Thanks to all who participated in this thread for making eGullet look good. It always bears remembering that any first-time poster could be our next frequent-user-addict, a newspaper reporter, or someone else we'd do well to embrace.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)