• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sharing Recipes

SweetSide

On the other hand, that recipe of my mother's that I'm thinking of putting in a safety deposit box? I've googled and searched and read book after book til I'm blue in the face and have never seen anything even remotely like it. Unfortunately, I didn't ask her while she was alive where the heck it came from. It was just always there, and I took it completely for granted growing up. If somebody asks me for it, I just say it was my mother's recipe and it's a family thing, and I'd be happy to make them one. I'm also just launching my own artisan breads business with a handful of cakes and cookies on the side, so it's an issue.

I'm curious as to what yo' mama's recipe is for....a cake or cookie? Or artisan bread? Or other baked good?

My mama's recipe is a cake, an apple cake, and beyond that I refuse to say anything more. :biggrin:

First let me say how grateful I am to all of you who do share here at eG. I've learned a lot. And for those of us who have limited time to bake, it's a great boon when trying something new to start with what has been proven to work by others.

I've known Wendy's long standing and outstanding generosity, having met her on another forum before eG's birth. No praise is high enough. And it is a testament to her and the other frequent flyers that this is such a happy sweet and useful forum.

I have no problems with the idea of sharing, it's the reality of it that annoys me. As a total amateur, I have nothing to lose but my time. So when anyone asks, I'll share. I think for professionals, the question is more complicated. Aside from money issues, their reputation is on the line. When it doesn't work for the recipient, they blame the source rather than their own lack of experience, technique, the use of inferior ingredients and tools, or the simple failure to follow direction. On the other side, we all know that recipes by professionals in cookbooks, websites, or handouts can be infuriatingly vague on the details that make the difference because they believe their audience has a short attention span. (How jokes I've seen on eG about the obessive detail in RLB's books, but then use her as a fall-back for the details that escape our memory?)

When you make something that stands out as a version of its kind, I find it often the technique that makes the difference. While it's simple enough to tell someone to use brand x almond paste (and even then they ignore you), introducing them to a refinement of technique is all too often a thankless task. For example, despite my lowly amateur status, I've managed to make what satisfies me as a nearly perfect pate brisee, crisp and leafy even on the bottom of the tart. When asked I tell people all the details, tools to use, repeated refrigeration, use of pizza stone for at least part of the baking, temperature adjustments, shuffling the tart from shelf to shelf during the baking, etc. Their eyes glaze over and I KNOW they never do it. (My DIL has compromised and now gets me to bake her quiche shells for her when she entertains. LOL) I confess, I've taken to enjoying the process drawing out the explanation like a shaggy dog joke.

It's a question of balancing the expectation of satisfaction in helping someone else succeed with the knowledge that all too often it won't happen. As in much else the answer to the question of whether to share? Are you an optimist?

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Truffle, perhaps it does make me selfish to not share every candy recipe I have and it's true that they are for the most part just versions of recipes written by others but if I've tweaked it so that it has become just what I had hoped it's my perogative to share it or not. All the sharers you mentioned in your post shared their recipes by way of published works. I dont' call that sharing, I call that selling. Perhaps I will share my journal of recipes someday, perhaps in the form of a book or just a gift to my son, I don't know, only time will tell.

I am more than happy to help someone with technique and will always point someone in the right direction to create a recipe but I don't think it's fair for anyone to expect me to give them any recipe they'd like just because I let them eat it. It's not my ego that stops me, it's my lack of a crystal ball. I do not know what is in store for my recipes in the future. Until I know, it's best to keep them close to home. Any good chocolatier could make a new version of everything I make, probably better. They don't need my recipes to do it.

Truffle,  perhaps it does make me selfish to not share every candy recipe I have and it's true that they are for the most part just versions of recipes written by others but if I've tweaked it so that it has become just what I had hoped it's my perogative to share it or not.  All the sharers you mentioned in your post shared their recipes by way of published works.  I dont' call that sharing, I call that selling.  Perhaps I will share my journal of recipes someday, perhaps in the form of a book or just a gift to my son, I don't know, only time will tell. 

I am more than happy to help someone with technique and will always point someone in the right direction to create a recipe but I don't think it's fair for anyone to expect me to give them any recipe they'd like just because I let them eat it.  It's not my ego that stops me, it's my lack of a crystal ball.  I do not know what is in store for my recipes in the future.  Until I know, it's best to keep them close to home.  Any good chocolatier could make a new version of everything I make, probably better.  They don't need my recipes to do it.

Hey Trishiad, I think I probably posted after a tough day. I think you have been very unselfish in your posts and do like to teach/help others from my interactions with you (and your demo was great). I think overall my impression in the thread was people just place way too much emphasis on the recipe. I agree that people who demand or expect the recipe are not really very deserving of that kindness.

Frankly, despite very positive responses I've not had people ask for recipes for my bon bons. I have had every business that has tried them ask me to supply them. I just felt what makes my product unique....is me....not any process or recipe. I do feel my last few efforts are on par (visually) with Norman Love, Chris Elbow etc. and because I generally use simple but quality recipes the flavor is also excellent.

I'm sure my reaction (overreaction) was due to my approach. I don't believe I ever say no to helping anyone. I've donated over 1000 boxes of chocolates to various charities because I'm excited to help worthy causes. I guess technically I'm paying people to eat my chocolates. Whatever recipe I get....I change anyway so its not a big deal.

That being said...I certainly understand your perspective and that of anyone who is trying to make a business of it. While I anticipate I'll do that in the future as I have 3-4 serious financial backers, I'm not there yet. I'm lucky to have a day job that puts me near 6 figures and I love the job as well. I can afford to share stuff because it doesn't hurt me in the pocketbook. So I'm sorry if I sent the wrong message to you or anyone else. What makes you great is your creativity and passion. I love some of your selections/flavors "Treasure, Maple Pecan, Debutante, Cha-Cha and Caretto" to name a few. It is the ability to blend those ingredients that is a gift. I really feel my "Creme Brulee" truffle is unique and tasty and hope others try it. It is very simple, a white shell that I then brush with Chambord, drop in some caramelized sugar shards into and then fill with a white chocoalte vanilla bean ganache (or caramel) and then seal. The concept is unique, not the execution.

I saw Norman Love's PB bon bon and thought it was interesting and made my own. Of course it's a bit pricey to pay that kind of money for jelly and peanut butter as they are the same price as pure chocolate pieces. Chris Elbow had a Rosemary caramel that I still think is one of the best tastes ever. I never asked or got the recipe but was able to come up with my own version (I also do Lavender, Basil, Lemon-Grass, Earl Grey, Orange Blossom, Rosewater etc). That is why I said others will copy/improve it.

Anyway....sorry if I came out negative, I just felt people were missing their true talent/gifts. I used to take karate and I remember the instructor saying he always felt safer when someone came at him with a knife. The person put all their effort into the knife, it became their sole weapon. All the instructor had to do was control the arm with the knife and the person lost their ability to attack. Someone without a knife had 2 hands, arms, legs, teeth etc. and was less predictable and hence more dangerous. In a way, I felt recipes were like the knife and when people wave them around and while impressive they may limit the individual more than help them. It's the passion, creativity, vision, energy, artistry that I think need to be protected.....those things make any business successful.

Anyway....sorry if I came out negative, I just felt people were missing their true talent/gifts.  I used to take karate and I remember the instructor saying he always felt safer when someone came at him with a knife.  The person put all their effort into the knife, it became their sole weapon.  All the instructor had to do was control the arm with the knife and the person lost their ability to attack.  Someone without a knife had 2 hands, arms, legs, teeth etc. and was less predictable and hence more dangerous.  In a way, I felt recipes were like the knife and when people wave them around and while impressive they may limit the individual more than help them.  It's the passion, creativity, vision, energy, artistry that I think need to be protected.....those things make any business successful.

wow, i like that analogy truffle guy!