• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spin Neapolitan Pizza - Kansas City

Katie Nell

I know, for a fact, that their gelato is not made in-house.  They get it mailed from Michigan... which explains its poor consistenncy... but maybe they've improved?

If it's just made in a large establishment then it's probably the same quality that you've had. It's definitely not the best gelato I've had, I'm not even sure if it's true gelato. Maybe it's just a fancy name for store bought ice cream but I did like it for what it was.

Speaking of Gelato, does anyone have any reccomendations for the tasty treat? I've been to Balsano's (which moved from westport to the plaza) before the move.. and I found it to be okay but that's all I've had in KC sadly.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Yes, JWest. I've said on this forum and elsewhere that the best gelato that I've had in Kansas City is as this little shop called "The Sweet Guy" in Parkville. I haven't been in half a year, but the half dozen times I've been, it's been very good.

As for Balsano's, I've been there a couple of times. Their gelato is okay - they've got a lot of flavors, some of them are really good. But,

1. They use skim milk instead of whole. The result is that their gelato is just a tad on the crystallized side (i.e. more water to fat ratio). While it's not as smooth and "luscious" as the real stuff, it's not bad - and I guess it's lower in fat.

2. Their flavors, I don't think, are all natural - I think they add flavoring from powder pre-mixes from Italy (but I'm not sure), as many gelaterias do. My favorite of their flavors is the spiced apple sorbetto. It tastes like apple pie filling.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Yes, JWest.  I've said on this forum and elsewhere that the best gelato that I've had in Kansas City is as this little shop called "The Sweet Guy" in Parkville.  I haven't been in half a year, but the half dozen times I've been, it's been very good.

As for Balsano's, I've been there a couple of times.  Their gelato is okay - they've got a lot of flavors, some of them are really good.  But,

1. They use skim milk instead of whole.  The result is that their gelato is just a tad on the crystallized side (i.e. more water to fat ratio).  While it's not as smooth and "luscious" as the real stuff, it's not bad - and I guess it's lower in fat. 

2. Their flavors, I don't think, are all natural - I think they add flavoring from powder pre-mixes from Italy (but I'm not sure), as many gelaterias do.  My favorite of their flavors is the spiced apple sorbetto.  It tastes like apple pie filling.

u.e.

That explains why I always thought it had a watery ..texture/taste. You really notice it once it melts a little bit. Thanks for the tip U.E.!

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

My favorite of their flavors is the spiced apple sorbetto.  It tastes like apple pie filling.

This is a good tip...what other flavors do you enjoy?

I tried this when we were down at the Plaza Art Fair...agree with your comments above. It would be nice to sample some of their strengths next time in.

My favorite of their flavors is the spiced apple sorbetto.  It tastes like apple pie filling.

This is a good tip...what other flavors do you enjoy?

I tried this when we were down at the Plaza Art Fair...agree with your comments above. It would be nice to sample some of their strengths next time in.

Hi, Aaron and welcome. Are you related to Allistair (sorry, been junking-out on BBC comedies lately). :rolleyes:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Speaking of Gelato, does anyone have any reccomendations for the tasty treat?

Have you made it over to Murray's Ice Cream & Cookies yet? I was groovin' on the Grapefruit Sorbet all summer... and the Chocolate Flake Fromage is almost as rich as any gelato. Mmmm... if it wasn't 30-something degrees out right now, I'd be headed over there myself!

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

Yes, in fact, it's my favorite ice cream shop in Kansas City. I especially like the carrot cake ice cream. Although, it's been dissapointing for me with the lack of gelaterias in the city, I've been able to fix my cravings with ice cream and frozen custard at places like; Murray's and even Sheridan's! Gotta love the Razzle Dazzle. :biggrin:

Yes, in fact, it's my favorite ice cream shop in Kansas City. I especially like the carrot cake ice cream. Although, it's been dissapointing for me with the lack of gelaterias in the city, I've been able to fix my cravings with ice cream and frozen custard at places like; Murray's and even Sheridan's! Gotta love the Razzle Dazzle. :biggrin:

I hope you all don't mind, I'm moving this frozen treats party over here.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com