• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spin Neapolitan Pizza - Kansas City

Katie Nell

After reading about Spin Neapolitan Pizza in Moosnsqrl's KC Food Media Round-up and the Pitch, I had to try it for myself! After all, it is in my 'hood!

The bf and I went there today for lunch and I have to agree with the author in the Pitch, the ordering system could use a little work. You walk in and you have to order at a cash register right away... there's no chance to look at a menu and good thing there wasn't a line when we went, because I'm notorious for hemming and hawwing over a menu! Then, you sit down, and they bring you your drinks, and then a little bit later, the food. It's similar to a restaurant we had in Topeka called Desert Moon, I think. I believe if you pay over a certain amount, you should be waited on, but maybe I'm high maintenance! Also, we barely saw our waitress, but then there's a section for tipping on the receipt... we were a little unsure of who was supposed to be taking care of our table... we weren't neglected or anything, but we definitely weren't "waited" on, so how to deal with that??

Anyway, I had the lunch special, Pizza Mia, which is any one of their Signature Pizzas or one made up with your own toppings and a side salad of your choice. I had the Prosciutto E Spinaci with Roasted Onion Fig Marmalade and the Spinach Salad with caramelized onions, pancetta, roasted grape tomatoes, glazed pecans, goat cheese, and chianti vinaigrette, and it was all completely and totally wonderful! (All this for just $7.95!) The only thing, and I do mean only thing, I would change was to add a little more of the marmalade. Oh, and most of my glazed pecans were all stuck together in one lump which made it difficult to eat and made me a little sad to leave a hunk on the plate! :sad: I can ignore the weird ordering system, because the food was well worth it!

The bf had the Quattro Formaggi Panini with the Caesar Salad. I was a little surprised that he ordered that particular Panini because he usually goes for more interesting things, but he said he felt rushed with the awkward ordering system! At any rate, he wasn't as thrilled with his choice as I was with mine, which got us started on who's the better orderer and so and so on! :angry: (I am, by far, the better orderer, just for the record!!!) We both agreed that the Panini could have used a little more flavor, perhaps some garlic butter, or basil leaves, but was still good. The Caesar was just a good Caesar.

They also have 10 different flavors of gelato everyday, but I didn't check any out. Everyone around us seemed to be getting samples except us! :sad: Don't know what that's about!

If you are in my 'hood, I would for sure stop in and sample their offerings! It is sure to become a regular for us! Hopefully, they will work out some of the kinks and weirdness with the ordering system. Oh, and they have beer and wine too... made the afternoon at work go much faster!! :wink: (Only kidding, of course!)

Spin Neapolitan Pizza

6541 W. 119th St.

Overland Park, KS 66209

http://www.spinpizza.com/#

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I had the Pizza bianca Patata when I was in late one night, close to closing. I got it to go, so I had no hassles with who was waiting on me. I didn't tip 20 percent either, If I have to do half the work, then I tip half the tip. But that is for another discussion. Back to the pizza, it was flavorful and I thought interesting enough for me to go back on another trip up that way. The having to order right away was somewhat of a hassle, i did feel rushed to make my decision. The ordertaker was helpful in answering questions. The manager was congenial, making sure my tea was refilled before I left to go back to my hotel room.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

If it will save another victim from the "deer in the headlights" syndrome, the menu for Spin! is available here.

I suffer from the paralysis of analysis over menus, myself (after all, one never knows when a meal might be the last, eh?) so I kind of appreciate being forced to just blurt something out. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Went again (I think this place will quickly become habit for me,) and brought my dad and the bf again. I had the Funghi Pizza with roasted portobellos and criminis and the 8 colors salad with romaine, red cabbage, red butter lettuce, roasted grape tomatoes, radishes, celery, green onions, gorgonzola, toasted pinenuts with a red wine vinaigrette... whew! that was a lot of ingredients! The bf had the Roasted Potato Pizza with pancetta, roasted red peppers, goat cheese, and scallions with the caesar salad. My dad had the Roasted Chicken and Goat Cheese pizza with caramelized onions and criminis with the caesar salad also. Of course, we sampled each other's, because you don't sit at my table and not share! :wink: I am usually not a huge fan of red sauce, but my pizza had it, and it was FANTASTIC! Just the right amount too... not too much sauce! And not too acidic either... really, really good. The roasted potato pizza was also really good. We've gotten potatoes on our pizza at Waldo's, and it's always been a little too heavy, but this was just right, and again, I praise a lunch with pancetta in it! We couldn't really detect much chicken on the Roasted Chicken pizza, but it was still very flavorful, and the goat cheese was just the right amount of tang for the rest of the pizza. I liked my salad from the first time better, but it still was an excellent salad with very fresh ingredients. Still a weird ordering system and waiting system, but again, I overlook! It was also extremely noisy this time, however, the outside dining will be lovely once it warms up a bit.

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Did a takeout order from them last night- plain flatbread (nummy but a little greasy), a make your own all cheese with bianco (for the kid and he ate it with gusto) and the spinach and prosciutto with carmelized onion and fig...goo. Tasty goo, mind, but on mine it was most decidedly goo.

I can tell their ordering system, were we to dine in, would drive me insane. There's no way unless we reviewed the menu beforehand we could just walk in and order, and I'll bet on busy days that wait will get hellishly long.

Edited by chicagowench (log)

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

• 5 months later...

Well, its a Friday before a holiday, my bosses are out, and the weather is perfect. So, Zeemanb and I decided to get out for luch. Choices were Spin or Don Chilito's. :huh:

We ended up saving our insides and went to Spin. Ordering is different but even we managed to get through it. We got there early and there weren't many people there yet. Zeeman got the prosciutto e spinaci and I ordered a salsiccia di pollo & gorgonzola. We sat down, got drinks, and were offered the food of several other tables while we waited for our. We watched while runners wandered the dining room with food looking for their lost owners. I'm guessing that's really entertaining when its busy. But we were there for pizza.

Crust was thin and and crisp and the edges were brushed with olive oil. Not too much red sauce on mine. Sausage was sparse but flavorful. I didn't taste any gorgonzola. The pine nuts and carmelized onions were a flavorful touch. I had a piece of Zeeman's pizza, I've never had spinach I didn't like and this was pretty good. Same crisp crust with small burn marks to add flavor. I think he got more meat on his pizza than I did. But I liked mine better. Carmelized onions rule.

We were treated to 3 small samples of the gelatto, cappucino, cookies and cream, and roasted pistachio. All were good i like the cappucino the best. Not too sweet with lots of coffee flavor. Zeeman got some pistachio to go so I'm thinking he liked that one best.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

It’s no Pizza Street, but similar to what Mike said I thought it was really good pizza. The crust on the white pizza that I got seemed to hold up better than the one with red sauce, and flavorwise I’ll probably stick with that option going foward. The caramelized onion and fig marmalade is something I’d like to have at home to put on pretty much everything. Definitely dug the gelatto too.

Our server was really great, but like Mike mentioned, there has to be a more efficient way to get food on the tables. The line did reach almost back to the front door around 11:45 or so, but died right back down at noon. They seemed to be doing a very good job of moving people through there. Tons of strollers in there.......just like Pizza Street.

For $9.50-$10.50 per pie I think it’s a good value. I’d go back for lunch or maybe even grab a couple carryout pizzas some night and see how they fare the trip to North KC and a quick rest on the pizza stone.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I hope this doesn't mean that our dinner date at T-Rex is off for tonight? :laugh:

I gather there is no identifying clue as to which food order goes to which table? None whatsoever? La Parilla (in Lawrence) similarly has you order at a counter, gives you your drinks and chips & salsa at that time, but they also give you a small plastic table-tent with a number that corresponds with a number on the food ticket that goes to the line. Even at that it can be tricky when they're slammed and there are multiple tables awaiting food. I can't imagine why anyone with a strong customer service focus (Gold/Smith are partners in Spin, right?) would leave their servers twisting in the wind like that. It just doesn't make sense.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

(Gold/Smith are partners in Spin, right?)

I think they just consulted to get it going but I may be wrong.

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

I hope this doesn't mean that our dinner date at T-Rex is off for tonight?

Y'all know how to have a good time on a holiday weekend.

We've never had a problem with service at Spin; then again, we tend to go at less crowded hours.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

We sat down, got drinks, and were offered the food of several other tables while we waited for our.
... and why didn't you claim them? :huh::raz:
We watched while runners wandered the dining room with food looking for their lost owners.
...and I'd wave them all to my table! :wink:
I didn't taste any gorgonzola.

:huh: Gorgozola isn't one of those flavors you just "miss," so, either:

(a) You have a desensitized sense of taste (which I'm doubting very much), or

(b) You have a head cold or some other ailment that's disarmed your sense of smell/taste, or what I fear is the case,

© They put way too little, if any, gorgonzola on your pizza.

Poor form. This would send me in a huff to the counter - I *LOVE* smelly cheeses - and gosh darnit if I'm not going to get a right good sniff off of a pizza that they billed as "salsiccia di pollo & gorgonzola!" :hmmm:

I feel strongly about my stinky cheese.

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I didn't mean to imply we got poor service. Our server took very good care of us. She brought everything we needed and she was very friendly. It just seemed odd to watch food looking for a home.

And no head cold, and hopefully I can taste. Maybe it was dulce.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I hope this doesn't mean that our dinner date at T-Rex is off for tonight? :laugh:

I gather there is no identifying clue as to which food order goes to which table?  None whatsoever?  La Parilla (in Lawrence) similarly has you order at a counter, gives you your drinks and chips & salsa at that time, but they also give you a small plastic table-tent with a number that corresponds with a number on the food ticket that goes to the line.  Even at that it can be tricky when they're slammed and there are multiple tables awaiting food.  I can't imagine why anyone with a strong customer service focus (Gold/Smith are partners in Spin, right?) would leave their servers twisting in the wind like that.  It just doesn't make sense.

I would belive it's hard to tie food to customers when you haven't a clue where they are going to sit. D' Bronx has been doing it for years. Gosh it's a pizza joint not a service driven restaurant. I bet the prices refect that.

I thought I read some where G&S had very small % of ownership. They just sold their name that's about I would guess.

I gather there is no identifying clue as to which food order goes to which table?  None whatsoever?  La Parilla (in Lawrence) similarly has you order at a counter, gives you your drinks and chips & salsa at that time, but they also give you a small plastic table-tent with a number that corresponds with a number on the food ticket that goes to the line.  Even at that it can be tricky when they're slammed and there are multiple tables awaiting food.  I can't imagine why anyone with a strong customer service focus (Gold/Smith are partners in Spin, right?) would leave their servers twisting in the wind like that.  It just doesn't make sense.

Judy, as I know you have been Zingerman's Deli lately (didn't you go with the gang at the Heartland gather?), you'll recall that the "King of service," Zingerman's, has a system where servers rove about the room with food SHOUTING AT VOLUME 15 people's names - "I HAVE FOOD FOR U.E.!" from one corner, while another is standing in the middle of the room, over a thankfully deaf grandpa belting, "MATZO BALL SOUP FOR JUDY!!" Oy...

But, somehow, the food always gets to the right people, and the food's apparently good enough that people tune out the noise and confusion.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Judy, as I know you have been Zingerman's Deli lately (didn't you go with the gang at the Heartland gather?), you'll recall that the "King of service," Zingerman's, has a system where servers rove about the room with food SHOUTING AT VOLUME 15 people's names - "I HAVE FOOD FOR U.E.!" from one corner, while another is standing in the middle of the room, over a thankfully deaf grandpa belting, "MATZO BALL SOUP FOR JUDY!!" Oy...

But, somehow, the food always gets to the right people, and the food's apparently good enough that people tune out the noise and confusion.

u.e.

Not Judy here but you are correct about Zingerman's. That's how they do it at the deli and there seemed to be no problems at all with their system when I was there at the beginning of August. Of course, it's a small space with a cozy, adjoining outdoor area and it's fairly easy to hear your name being called. And, the food is so good at Zingerman's that it's hard to imagine anyone not listening intently for his or her name to be called. In any case, the serious-minded nature of the offerings at Zingerman's is probably the difference. Folks go to Zingerman's to get great food, not to be entertained. And there aren't very many distractions (from the food) at Zingerman's. Oh, and the folks who work at Zingerman's are really, really into it and they genuinely care about making customers happy and keeping them satisfied.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I don't mind the shouting in some situations. My favorite felafel joint in the City Market just sends the food out on a tray with someone barking the last two digits of the number on the receipt tab. As a rule people are visiting with co-workers and not paying any attention and they have to do a couple of laps through the restaurant until the intended recipient wakes up and acknowledges their number but it's all part of the deal - just like at Zing's.

I still haven't been to Spin to witness the mayhem first-hand but it's one of the first thing's people mention about the place, so it sounds like there is need for improvement. Although Pete's right - since the food just has to get there once and there's no need for a brigade of servers to return to the table again and again, it doesn't present the magnitude of problem it might elsewhere.

M.F.K. Fisher

I took my Mom to Spin after reading about it here a while ago, and we both really liked it. The $7.95 lunch special with the mini pizza and small salad is a very good value, and if I worked near there I would definately make it a go-to place for the odd lunch out.

We got there within a few minutes of opening, so there was no line. A few people did queue up behind us while we decided what to order, but there's a huge menu on the wall and paper menus to pick up while in line, so I didn't notice that being much of a problem. By the time we left, the place was packed with a long line, so I would definately go early if possible.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Lunch all the way down at SPIN! Nothin' much to add - including enthusiasm - everyone else on eGullet pretty much summed it up.

I will will agree totally with chicagowench on the "Rosemary flatbread" (side order $1.95)

... plain flatbread (nummy but a little greasy)

I'll also voice a "second" to her observation on the ordering system:

I can tell their ordering system, were we to dine in, would drive me insane.  There's no way unless we reviewed the menu beforehand we could just walk in and order, and I'll bet on busy days that wait will get hellishly long.

As for the other food... I decided to follow chileheadmike's lead and ordered the Salsiccia di Pollo & Gorgonzola 12-inch for $10.50. Had I read his and Zeemanb's comments more carefully, I would have added carmelized onion-fig marmalade for an extra dollar (b/c I saw that carmelized onions were already on the pizza) - but I didn't, so I didn't... I ordered pinenuts, but then I saw those were on the pizza already... so I went for crimini. I was pretty impressed with the amount that ended up on the pizza.

I'll let chileheadmike speak for the crust, as he was dead on:

Crust was thin and and crisp and the edges were brushed with olive oil.
Except I would add that the effect of the rim being brushed with olive oil, because the crust was so thick, was that it ended up being tough and chewy instead of crisp and light - as I like my Neapolitan pizza crusts to be - thin & dry is pizza crust perfection to me. I would also have to say that I really missed out on the strong yeasty flavor that I love so much in thin crusts...

As for the toppings:

Not too much red sauce on mine. Sausage was sparse but flavorful. I didn't taste any gorgonzola.
Knowing there was a problem with the gorgonzola, and being a stinky cheese fanatic, I was on the look-out. None to be seen, none to be smelled - but a small morsel to be tasted... too small to bill the pizza as a something & Gorgonzala pizza. :hmmm: Sausage was sparse - was very flavorful - but that's probably because it was really fatty.
The pine nuts and carmelized onions were a flavorful touch.
My toasted pine NUT was very good. It was lonely, but because I reached first, I got the slice with the pine nut.

My friends and I also split a large "8 Color" pizza ($7.95). Not sure where they get the 8 colors - celery and lettuce are both green... but I suppose radishes, when sliced, are red and white... whatever. The point is, it wasn't exactly the confetti carnival that I was expecting. As I was expecting to get my fill of pine nuts on the pizza, I asked to sub artichoke hearts for them in the salad. :hmmm: Everything was fresh, crisp - and, unlike the pizza, full of stinky gorgonzola. Aso, I appreciated the fact that they oven-bursted the grape tomatoes - far from carmelized, but just smokey enough to add an appreciated layer of taste.

The gelato freezer case was just screaming at me from the moment I walked in. (in fact, it distracted me from seeing the $7.95 lunch deal. *Fooey*)

I was dubbed the royal taste-tester for my small group and tried all 10 or so flavors. I wept. The "cioccolata" was slushy, wet and flavorless - tasted like nearly melted fudge-cicle. The lemon-blueberry had just been put out and was frozen stiff - the blueberries were crystalized balls of icy steel. I'll spare you the rest of the descriptions. I felt so bad for having tasted all of them that I bought two small ("piccolo") cups ($2.50).

As for value: sure, for what you get, you can't complain:

For $9.50-$10.50 per pie I think it’s a good value.
After one add-on, my pizza cost $11.50, plus tax. The salad was the worst value - for $7.95, I could have gone down the road to my favorite JoCo lunch pit stop, D&D, where for the same price, I could feast on more greens and pretty and tasty things than at SPIN! I could also get decent (far from great - but not the slushy tasteless stuff here at SPIN!) gelato there. Oh, and they definitely have better bread down at D&D... rosemary, flat, or otherwise.

Again, this ain't rocket science... which is probably why, unlike the other people on this thread, I wouldn't go back. I could make better pizza at home. Sure, it takes time and effort... but so does the drive down to 119th & Metcalf - especially with gas prices as they are. When I'm in the neighborhood next time, I'll shimmy myself over to either D&D's, if I'm in a hurry, or to M&D's at 40 - or heck, try out Cassis for lunch. No more SPIN!ning for me.... :sad:

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Hie thee to La Cucina di Mama (adjacent to Bella Napoli). Fewer choices but I think their Neopolitan-style (duh) pizza will cure some of the ills addressed above, U.E.

And the ingrediements [sic] are primo, plus you can pick up a few things to take home and toss on your next housemade pie.

And tell Jake (the proprietor) he's a PITA. He loves that. :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

Hie thee to La Cucina di Mama (adjacent to Bella Napoli).  Fewer choices but I think their Neopolitan-style (duh) pizza will cure some of the ills addressed above, U.E.

And the ingrediements [sic] are primo, plus you can pick up a few things to take home and toss on your next housemade pie.

And tell Jake (the proprietor) he's a PITA.  He loves that. :wink:

Well, shoot - get thee to a nunnery yo'self Judy! :raz: Fie!! [no sic - old English]

:raz:

Yep, been to Bella Napoli over in Brookside - and you're right - they do Neapolitan pizza, well, like it's Neapolitan. Duh. And, yes, I do take home some things when I'm there (besides the extra calories)... like olives, and sardines, etc...

Anon, after a satisfying slice o' Naples at Bella Napoli, I can roll meself over to the good people at Foo's for some frozen custard. :wub: It's much better than the craptacular "gelato" the have on the south-side.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...

My friend and I stopped in on a Friday night where it we barely got a table but didn't have to wait. It's funny though, you walk in and you're thinking the hostes is about to take you to your table but then they kind of put you on the spot by making you order before you sit down. (note: there was a big menu sign behind the hostess stand, so that's just me being blind)

I ordered the Margherita and my friend had the Pepperoni-Sausage. There could have been a little more basil but other than that, I felt it was a solid pizza. Also, a bit over priced like many others have expressed.

I was excited to see Gelato on display, my friend had the Tahitian Vanilla Bean and I had the Banana Walnut Gelato. His was alright, mine was very tasty. Im not an expert on whats homemade and not but I do know what I like. (I hope it was housemade!) The gelato was elastic, smooth, and the banana-walnut flavor was very tasty.

Probably a good place for kids too..there's an open kitchen and the noise is pretty high. The place is nice and I'd come back again if I don't have any other dining options...maybe for lunch. Although, it's just hard to pay $12(ish) for pizza like that. I'd like to see it at something close to $9. The pizza at Whole Foods Market is what I've been endulging in lately.. especially the "Chicken Scallopini" and the Grilled Vegetable purchased by the slice (2 for $5).

But I don't know when I'll be coming back...while not looking my friend left a "call me " note on my reciept as a present for our server. Not so funny.. :cool:

Edited by JWest (log)

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I know, for a fact, that their gelato is not made in-house. They get it mailed from Michigan... which explains its poor consistenncy... but maybe they've improved?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account