• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafeteria in Chelsea

oakapple

Cafeteria (119 Seventh Ave @17th St) is open 24 hours a day. It's perfectly suited to clubland exiles who need a place to get over their 4am hangovers. For Sunday brunch, which my friend and I tried yesterday, you can do a lot better.

Cafeteria isn't a cafeteria. It's a restaurant with sit-down service. Perhaps I should put 'service' in quotes, because there wasn't much of it. The milk to go with our too-strong coffee was served in a sugar bowl. You can imagine the mess when we poured it. Omelets took about 25 minutes to come out of the kitchen. (To that, add the 25 minutes we waited for a table.) Each omelet came with just a single slice of toast. We had to ask for butter.

The omelets were great: goat cheese and mushrooms (we both ordered the same). But not so great that I'd rush back for them.

Edited by oakapple (log)

Your comments mirror those I've heard from others who also went there sober and in the light of day. That feedback dates from about three years ago if I recall correctly - sounds as though not much has changed.

We were there for brunch last month since we were in the area for the Barney's warehouse sale. The waiter managed to spill a container of ketchup all over my daughter's hair and clothing. They were kind enough to give her a t-shirt to change into (it was 30 degrees out) but not kind enough to comp any of our meals. Brunch was fine but nothing to go out of your way for.

The waiter managed to spill a container of ketchup all over my daughter's hair and clothing. 

Actually, they do that for everyone - it's part of the atmosphere.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Overpriced comfort food, I've been dragged there many a time by B&Ters... so funny because I just had dinner at the Cafeteria in Miami Beach on Lincoln - much better! Service was horrible but it was because it was Winter Music Conference and the place crawling with retards.