• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Ex" knife block

andiesenji

Well, for those who were looking for this unusual knife block

Overstock.com has just listed it for $79.00 Quite a drop from the original 160.00.

Also, for those who look for red utensils and etc for their kitchens, Overstock has several - a set of KitchenAid cookware, and also the cutlery set. The JennAir Attrezi mixer and

this nifty 50s style trash can known back in the day as a "step-on" can.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Well, for those who were looking for this unusual knife block

Overstock.com has just listed it for $79.00  Quite a drop from the original 160.00. 

I was going to buy one of these, as I've been on the lookout for a knife block that's reasonably open so gunge doesn't build up in the slots, but was disappointed that it's only available with the knives. The shopgirl was really building up how awesome the included knives are, but I'd prefer to stick with mine, and the cost was a bit too much for me to end up with knives I don't really want or need.

Anyone found an open-ish knife block that I can get without buying loads of knives with it?

Anyone found an open-ish knife block that I can get without buying loads of knives with it?

Maybe you should use a magnetic bar instead.

Back when I had a knife block, every time I moved it, I was wowed by the ick that managed to accumulate under said knife block. Made me terrified of what was living inside those slots!

So, I have a magnetic strip. It is good. In fact, it is wonderful!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I actually have this one - well sorta. Mine stands straight up instead of at an angle. Love it - only downside is some of the holders will stretch a little with heavy knife. Oh – and do not pick up, but slide to move (yikes- almost lost a finger). I didn't get it from MOMA. I can look through my receipts find where I ordered if you're interested (it was cheaper where I ordered).

Edited because I can't reply to correct poster. Also don't know how to correct - but I'm talking about the holder that Behemoth provided a link to!

Edited by egator (log)

I really think this thing was designed as a joke. When I first saw it on a web site, there were a couple of other items with similar themes.

Here is an interesting knife block dishwasher safe!!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I had a magnetic knife rail, but now I'm living in a rented apartment, so I can't really put holes in the kitchen tiles, alas.

I love Alessi, Koziol, and other 'fun' kitchen gadgets, so I was really hoping that 'The Ex' would work out for me. Ah well.

I love Alessi, Koziol, and other 'fun' kitchen gadgets, so I was really hoping that 'The Ex' would work out for me.  Ah well.

The 'Ex' is a good conversation piece but the construction is pretty cheap. I use it but not all my knives fit in the pre-assigned slots (I put the knives it came with in a drawer ;p (the pearing knife isn't bad actually). I do like how they at least made the base heavy enough that I can pull by 7" chef knife out without toppling the whole thing.

I get a lot of comments on the block though. Next knife block...definately a magnetic bar (unless I buy ceramic knives).

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Mine stands straight up instead of at an angle

I have the same knife block as you do. It is wonderful - easy to clean as the accordians come out and can be immersed in hot soapy water. It also holds a suprising number of knives.

I don't remember where I got mine, but it was from a US on line distributor that was willing to ship to Canada. I had it recommended to me a couple of years ago on an egullet thread.

Life is short, eat dessert first

I actually have this one - well sorta.  Mine stands straight up instead of at an angle.  Love it - only downside is some of the holders will stretch a little with heavy knife.  Oh – and do not pick up, but slide to move (yikes- almost lost a finger).  I didn't get it from MOMA.  I can look through my receipts find where I ordered if you're interested (it was cheaper where I ordered).

Edited because I can't reply to correct poster.  Also don't know how to correct - but I'm talking about the holder that Behemoth provided a link to!

Actually, I have a dedicated drawer with insert I am really happy with for now (it fits my monster cleaver, which is saying something. I got the knife insert thing from martha stuart for Kmart -- wood & seems to stay clean) but good to know about the other if I am in the market again (good chance I will outgrow this one in a few years...) there is a place near my apartment that is selling them, will have to check if the price in euro is better than what I can find in $ online. Don't want to do the magnetic strip since we have a tile backdrop, plus the spouse finds it a little too scary looking. :wink:

Edited by Behemoth (log)

In an earlier post I inserted a link for the Kapoosh Knife Block from First Street

This link has additional photos.

A friend and I were just talking about the various types of knife blocks and she mentioned one that she saw at the Pacific Design center in L.A. She described it as a tempered glass box filled with translucent glass beads and with a light in the base that illuminated the beads in the box. It was shown with several knives plus a couple of kitchen tools inserted into the beads.

She is going to take her camera along the next time she goes there and ask permission to take a photo. (It is forbidden to take photos without permission because some of the objects are in development.)

She asked about the beads and was told they are industrial glass used in blast cleaners which doesn't mean much to me. She didn't think to ask about cleaning. This sounds interesting to me, although it sounds like an extremely modern design.

And the price has dropped again. it's down to $59.95, and Bill said I could buy it!!!

The little red voodoo man will be on my counter soon :biggrin:

And if the knives are junky, as we all assume, I have someplace to donate them...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

• 1 month later...

i've been looking for a replacement block for my Wusthof knives but have limited counter space and i also need a way to store my set of 3 Global knives so that i can actually see them and remember to use them. would the global set fit in the 'Ex' is a magnetic rail a better solution? Global does a very nice looking rail but it's very long and very expensive. thanks

i've been looking for a replacement block for my Wusthof knives but have limited counter space and i also need a way to store my set of 3 Global knives so that i can actually see them and remember to use them. would the global set fit in the 'Ex' is a magnetic rail a better solution? Global does a very nice looking rail but it's very long and very expensive. thanks

I have several Global knives and store them on mag. strips. I have a lot of knives and have mag. strips for each type where I will be using them, however I have a fairly good-sized kitchen.

I mount the strips vertically so the blades are held horizontally, except for the veg prep area where the strip is at a 45 degree angle with the smaller blades at the top and the largest at the bottom. (I will get a photo later and post it.)

I bought my mag strips at The Knife Merchant I have 2 18-inch and 3 24-inch. (I have 2 of the 24 inch mounted parallel to each other in the pantry to hold the very large (and heavy) butchering knives, pizza knife, large mezzalunas and a big cleaver, because a single strip won't hold some of these heavier things.)

Chef Depot has a bunch of magnetic strips and some nice optional storage solutions. They are very reasonably priced.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

I have several Global knives and store them on mag. strips. I have a lot of knives and have mag. strips for each type where I will be using them, however I have a fairly good-sized kitchen.

I mount the strips vertically so the blades are held horizontally, except for the veg prep area where the strip is at a 45 degree angle with the smaller blades at the top and the largest at the bottom. (I will get a photo later and post it.)

I bought my mag strips at The Knife Merchant I have 2 18-inch and 3 24-inch. (I have 2 of the 24 inch mounted parallel to each other in the pantry to hold the very large (and heavy) butchering knives, pizza knife, large mezzalunas and a big cleaver, because a single strip won't hold some of these heavier things.)

Chef Depot has a bunch of magnetic strips and some nice optional storage solutions. They are very reasonably priced.

Thanks, the wavy drawer knife block at Chef Depot looks great! That combined with a couple of magnetic strips may be just the ticket.

Thanks again

i would not store my good knives in the Ex. It has magnets on either side at the opening & I just don't like the drag I feel when I slide the knives in there.

But it looks really awesome!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

i would not store my good knives in the Ex.  It has magnets on either side at the opening & I just don't like the drag I feel when I slide the knives in there.

But it looks really awesome!

thanks, good to know!