• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comestibles - the banal and the exotic

At a nice resturant in Peurta Vallarta, a bug was on the menu. I don't mean a cucaracha was scrambling across my Carta. Nobody could tell me if they were the omnipresent locust that decended as part of the apocalypse, or a cricket, like cousin of Jimmy The. I ordered them. And would chew threw a wall of Pinoccio to get to them again. They were served wiith a tangey tomotillio salsa with big chunks of rich creamey avacado. The grasshoppers were wonderfully chunchy, and nutty.

gallery_36478_2706_610107.jpg

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I tried to eat bugs once but just couldnt do it. It was at the Montreal Botanical gardens, they were having a tasting. I had meal worm banana cake, cricket sushi and some kind of Ant nacho.

I Choked it down, but it came close to coming back up.

The only thing I ate and couldnt beleive I actually liked were chicken feet. I thought I would hate them.

gallery_36478_2706_1501982.jpg

The point of the banality of this dish is last Tue. I was at Po and had the most wonderful rigatoni with gorgonzola and walnuts. So how, I ask, can I possibly like Mack and Sleaze, with pepper jack, cilantro, and Herdez (no other salsa will do). I love good food. Is this just stupid, esoteric comfort grub? Or am i just a knuckle dragging troglodyte that has evolved a wee bit?

Can you have the dishes of your youth with the slightest urbane twist and it becomes Haute?

One word: grits.

Cuppla words... what kind?

Straight grits with pepper and Franks/Lousiana hot sauce?

or

Cheese grits with a slice of Kraft on top and F/L hot sauce?

or

Wicked cheese grits with lotsa butter/cream/cheese(real) and F/L hot sauce?

Exotic: tripe. Until about six months ago, I had only one run-in with tripe. I was about eleven years old at dim sum with my family for father's day. I'd had dim sum a lot before that and I'd tried just about everything at the place we usually went. So when a cart came around that I'd never seen before offering "beef tripe soup" I immediately asked for it, despite the warnings of both the cart pusher and my parents. I wish I'd listened to them; I ate one bite and ran out of the restaurant, to a grocery store next door where I bought a soda which I drank immediately to get the terrible, rotten, sour taste out of my mouth. About two years after that, I became vegetarian (and the tripe experience may've had something to do with it.)

Fast forward to a few months ago. I'd decided to start eating meat again, and in the spirit of things I decided to get the "everything" combo when I went out for pho - which included tripe. I was a little scared at first, but finally got up enough courage to try it. Not sour, not terrible... I didn't think it had that much flavor at all. A little bit crunchy, a little bit chewy. Not bad. In fact, I now enjoy tripe in my pho often.

I suppose it's not the most exotic food in the world, but based on my previous experience I had exoticized it to a great degree - maybe even beyond bugs - in my head.

Edited by jkonick (log)

You can take the boy out of Texas, but you can't take the trailer park cravings out of the boy. I have tweaked the regular Queso recipe. I add a little pepperjack cheese, some Herdez Salsa Carera, and something spicy.

gallery_36478_2706_1072058.jpg

.... I have tweaked the regular Queso recipe.  I add a little pepperjack cheese, some Herdez Salsa Carera, and something spicy.

gallery_36478_2706_1072058.jpg

In our house, that is officially known by the title "Comfort Food", per the Mr.

His version requires La Victoria Suprema salsa. No other will do.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.