• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The most spectacular "Chocolate Soiree" ever!

Ling

I'm hoping to host another one in 4-6 months.

OH... oh... that would be possibly around September....when I'm thinking of making a trip back to Seattle....hey, Balthazar, ol' buddy, ol' pal...need any exotic Turkish ingredients? :)

Seriously, what an amazing event. Years ago some friends and I had a "chocolate dinner" for Valentine's day, with little savory things in between. We really paced ourselves and there were some wonderful desserts, but we still got overloaded. Did you serve something to help people clear their palates? It's had to imagine what any chocolate would taste like after I'd tried 20 or so things...

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Wow! So, after I saw Ling's pictures I immediately looked up Pierre Marcolini, because I'd never heard of it and it looked so absolutely gorgeous. And the next day found myself, hmm, on the east side of Manhattan for a doctor's appointment, and then driving home thinking, hmm, wasn't that chocolate place somewhere--hey, there it is! I parked illegally out front. The lovely French salesgirl told me the chocolates go especially well with a soft red wine or espresso, and I'm thinking, "How about with gas fumes, cause this box ain't making it home intact?"

The bad news is, those are the tiniest and most expensive little chocolates I've ever bought. (Your friends are wildly generous.) The good news is, they really are amazing. They've turned me into a total chocolate BITCH. Honestly. In addition to a little 8-piece box, I bought bag of 7 single-origin tiles, and and have literally hidden them in my bedside table drawer so I don't have to share with my husband. I love him very much, but they're just so small and so good.

So thank you for spreading the good word. And now I have to order some Amadei Porcelana online.

By the way, I'm a huge Pralus fan. The flavors are really deep and distinctive, the chocolate's creamy, and the packaging's cool.

Susan

LordBalthazar ....

Congratulations on a successful event. It sounds like it came off really well. What can be more heavenly than an evening spent eating the "food of the gods" ?

Please let me know when you are planning on hosting another one. We are in the process of starting a new chocolate company where we will be making our own chocolate -- all the way from the bean. I suspect we will be up and going by the time you set up another event. If you give me a heads up, perhaps we can assist you in some way (i.e., with chocolate).

And yes. there is a distinct possibility that we will have Porcelana (and others) for you to try. :wink:

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

LordBalthazar ....

Congratulations on a successful event. It sounds like it came off really well. What can be more heavenly than an evening spent eating the "food of the gods" ?

Please let me know when you are planning on hosting another one. We are in the process of starting a new chocolate company where we will be making our own chocolate -- all the way from the bean. I suspect we will be up and going by the time you set up another event. If you give me a heads up, perhaps we can assist you in some way (i.e., with chocolate).

And yes. there is a distinct possibility that we will have Porcelana (and others) for you to try. :wink:

-Art

Good luck to you and do keep me posted. I'm thinking of hosting another soiree in 4-6 months.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...
LordBalthazar, how did you manage to organize such an incredible event? And may I ask how many guests were in attendance?

In the end, due to prior commitments, only one egulleter was able to make it - and, fortunately, it was the extremely prolific Ling. Well, actually, there were two more egulleters to make it but, as it turned out, they were actually some old friends (ah, the magic of internet anonymity).

That was me!!! I'm sure it's obvious with our avatars... we sort of have a "pug connection". LB thank you so much for putting this event togeter, it was nice to meet Ling in person too:) I wish I didn't have to fly out east the next day, I would have sampled more... Christopher Norman's chocolates were incredible and I could not move away from those chocolate fountains!! LB, your ice creams... DELICIOUS! I'm glad Ling took all those pictures, I forgot which ones I sampled the next day.

I particularly enjoyed Themis' chocolate lecture.

Thanks again for the invitation, our puggy had a fun time with your puggies too!

ahh where's the button for the fries?