• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry Aged Prime Beef in or near CT

HungryChris

The only place we have been able to find dry aged prime beef (the NY Strip in particular) has been at Whole Foods in West Hartford. I am interested to know where else it is available. We have seen it in the Providence WF during holiday season and struck out today at the Framingham store. They said they didn't have the room. I have considered dry aging it myself, but that creeps Deb out so I'll have to work into that. Getting it mail order is like buying property by the time you pay shipping and then you eat it and it's gone.

Thanks and cheers,

HC

The only place we have been able to find dry aged prime beef (the NY Strip in particular) has been at Whole Foods in West Hartford. I am interested to know where else it is available. We have seen it in the Providence WF during holiday season and struck out today at the  Framingham store. They said they didn't have the room. I have considered dry aging it myself, but that creeps Deb out so I'll have to work into that. Getting it mail order is like buying property by the time you pay shipping and then you eat it and it's gone.

Thanks and cheers,

HC

Is Manero's in Greenwich still open, or has it closed? That's where we always got our dry-aged beef.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I don't know about the Hartford area, though you sound like you're willing to travel....

On the 25th, I purchased an exceptionally good steak at Liuzzi Cheese on State Street in North Haven, CT (between Sackett Pt. and Dixwell Ave.). I did pay $12 plus a pound for it. Dry aged? I didn't ask. Not that I have made a major project out of finding the best beef in the New Haven area, but this was the best I have eaten in three years, whether from a grocer or, any restaurant. It was yummy; grilled over mesquite.

BTW, they do have great cheese but I did not care for their "NY" cheesecake, which was the condensed milk, pudding-like variety.

I recently posed the same redundant question (including, where's a good meat market) in another thread I started in 2004, where I asked "where to get the good stuff in the New Haven area". It's kind of disappointing the lack of participation at eGullet from the NH area foodies. I know there's some out there! I'm willing to drive a few miles myself, but Hartford's pushing it.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

The only place we have been able to find dry aged prime beef (the NY Strip in particular) has been at Whole Foods in West Hartford.

If you're willing to pay the steep price, Joseph's Steakhouse in Bridgeport has both strip steaks and porterhouse steaks for purchase to go. If you go, ask for a look in their walk-in cooler where the meat is dry-aged.

Joseph's Steakhouse - Food Products

Bob

Adolph's used to be a reliable butcher for many years in the Hartford area. My aunt and uncle always bought our Christmas Day rib roast there.

Are they still in business? I had heard there was an owner change at least 5-7 years ago and had also heard, indirectly, that some people felt the quality went downhill after that. Does anyone have more up to date information?

edited to add: You probably saw or particpated in the thread on "Good Butchers in New England" but if not, maybe there is some info there. I don't remember if there was much input from CT folk though.

Just to add another possibility to explore with a phone call at least. My family now uses a German butcher in Meriden called Noack's. It's one of the few left from the many that used to be open in Central and Southern CT even twenty years ago. My parent's buy German sausages and cold cuts there, not raw meat for cooking, but they do have a pretty big counter. You could give them a call and feel them out. They may have a good beef selection and/or may be able to order for you.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

why not dry age it yourself in your fridge chris?

I have 'wet aged' whole strips a few times in the past with good result and I think it is only a matter of time before I do the dry age as well. From what I have read there is a little more risk when dry aging and that has kept me from trying up until now. I think if I put the whole strip on a rack in a sheet pan and wrap the strip in a clean cotton towel that I change daily, I should do OK. I think selecting a strip with good solid fat covering is also a good idea. It might make a fun project to document here as well. Hmmmmm

Cheers,

HC

The Whole Foods on University in Providence appears to have a new, permanent display case for dry aged beef. It appeared to be very well stocked...maybe it is a new program they are developing...

KV

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing