• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum Tasting

eje

I would like to bump this thread, as I would like an update as to any new "Sipping" rums as erik had asked for 2 years ago...

I am also new in to the sipping rum world, and just finished my second bottle, I have enjoyed both and would like to try something new along the same taste lines..

I have had Ron Zacapa 23 (before Diagio purchased) and Zaya; I enjoyed the deep flavor and brown sugar sweetness of both, with what i got as a very sublte charcol (i assume from the charred barrel??). But it was the brown sugar and the thicker mouth feel that i liked the most of these two...

can someone steer me toward another to try...? (under $40/750ml please).

My availability is limited here in my part of CT, but may be able to order something else or use the internet.

oh and btw is the Zacapa 23 "solera" the diagio version any different?

thanks

shanty

I think that everything made by Flor de Cana is, at worst, very good for the price. Try some of their high end...the 18 yr is particularly nice and somewhere around the price you put forth.

i'll have to check, but last time i aske flor de cana is not available in Connecticut, did buy some last i was in florida, and enjoyed one of theirs (cannot reacll which)

I can get santa teresa 1796 here, so i had my shop order a bottle (34/750)...should be in next week.

The Santa Teresa 1796 is among my very favorites and I'm sure you will like it. Quite different than Zacapa 23 and Zaya, which are very sweet; I don't like either one at all, just for that reason (or Diplomatico Exclusiva).

One that I really do like is El Dorado 15, which is a Demerara, so you will get some nice brown sugar notes there.

Lately I am also quite smitten with the Plantation range. You might try starting with the Barbados (the vintage one, not the "Grande Reserve").

Edited to add Ron del Barrilito, awesome stuff.

Edited by David Santucci (log)

The Santa Teresa 1796 is among my very favorites and I'm sure you will like it. Quite different than Zacapa 23 and Zaya, which are very sweet; I don't like either one at all, just for that reason (or Diplomatico Exclusiva).

One that I really do like is El Dorado 15, which is a Demerara, so you will get some nice brown sugar notes there.

Lately I am also quite smitten with the Plantation range. You might try starting with the Barbados (the vintage one, not the "Grande Reserve").

I may be the odd one out, but it IS the sweeter brown sugar notes, and more smooth and syrupy(word??) mouth feel that I did like about the Zaccapa and Zaya, but to each his own..

I guess i say this to ask if you think I may not then enjoy the Santa Teresa as much? should I try to find a different sipper? Or is there enough flavor and complexity to warrant broadening my palate with rums....

thanks

shanty

I may be the odd one out, but it IS the sweeter brown sugar notes, and more smooth and syrupy(word??) mouth feel that I did like about the Zaccapa and Zaya, but to each his own..

I guess i say this to ask if you think I may not then enjoy the Santa Teresa as much? should I try to find a different sipper? Or is there enough flavor and complexity to warrant broadening my palate with rums....

thanks

shanty

i'd say broaden your palate.

barrilito used to be among my favorites but it is really expensive in boston. in the not so rich style it has lots of exotic notes. i'm still in love with the vintage plantation series. right now i've got the 1990 guyana and i think it was only $35. my favorite was the 1986 barbados which was so stinky dates didn't want to sit next to me while i drank it at city bar in the lenox for $7. more intense than any single malt i've come across. i even really enjoy sipping bacardi 8.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

I have yet to find anyone (who drinks rum) who didn't like the Santa Teresa when they tried it. I am almost certain you are going to love it.

I think I am the odd one out really on Zacapa 23, and sweeter rums in general. It's not that I can't appreciate them; I just prefer others.

By all means, broaden your palate. Rum is one of the most diverse spirits there is, and there are lots of good sippers, all across the spectrum.