• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Annual Artichoke Festival

Michelle -

I'm glad to see this topic - I suppose it might mean that artichokes can be considered Kosher?

My roommate noted we were serving chicken and artichoke skewers at a catered Bat Mitzvah Saturday night. Now, the event wasn't strict Kosher, however, we did make some concessions (such as beef franks-in-a-blanket) for the more conservative attendees. Roomie said "artichokes can't be kosher, they have all those little leaves!" and I was feeling guilty that perhaps someone's grandma hadn't been able to eat them.

Artichokes: Kosher? Yay or Nay or "It depends"? I did notice that - at least where we purchase them from - there's no Kosher symbol beside the product on our purveyor's website.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

All vegetables are kosher especially when found in their natural state. But, canned/frozen vegetables can be an issue and must carry certification. Plus all vegetables must be inspected for bugs. This is why some people don't eat aspargus tips. And greens must be washed very well.

When trimming the artichokes keep an eye out for bugs and get rid of them (soaking in a mild vinegar solution works).

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

As Bloviatrix wrote, all vegetables are Kosher. We soak the vegetables to make sure that any insects are removed.

Most frozen vegetables that are sold abroad have a Kosher certification with the exception of some of the ones that have a sauce or meat mixed in with them. Same with canned vegetables.

Artichokes are most definitely Kosher and you can find them here stuffed with rice and minced meat or stuffed with a spinach and cheese mixture, artichoke soup, artichoke risotto or served au naturel.

In fact there is a very famous Jewish-Italian artichoke dish that is offered in restaurants in Rome. It is called Carciofi alla Giudia.

We love artichokes and at 2.99NIS - 4.99NIS (.64USD - 1.06USD) per kilo, we are having them every week. I went to the Artichoke Festival last year and bought a a flat of artichokes. Fresh of the farm and picked that day. You can't beat that.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Piece of food trivia: artichokes were actually introduced to Italy by Jews.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Piece of food trivia: artichokes were actually introduced to Italy by Jews.

Right..Batali always rhapsodizes about te Jewish ghettos in Rome and their Carciofi Fritto.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog