• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: '02 Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir, Knox Alexander

Redwinger

TN: 2002 Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir, Knox Alexander

I'm generally not a big fan of Cali-Pinot as I tend to find them a bit ripe and alcoholic for my taste. That said, this wine may make me a convert. I found it to be absolutely stunning after an hour or so of breathing. Certainly not sappy/syrupy/alcoholic. Nicely balanced with solid cherry fruit accented by hints of clove, cinnamon and cola. Acids and tannins support the rest of the package. The best part is saved for last..the finish goes on and on with layers of complexity. Boy, oh boy, I simply liked this wine a bunch. The after discount price was a tad under $40, which is definitely at the high end of my comfort level (actually over it), but I felt this wine was worth the tarrif. Did I mention I liked it?

Redwinger

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"

I have never had an Au Bon Climat wine that I did not like -- and most of them I loved. Even some of the Charonnays -- and I do not like California Chardonnay.

Their '98 Pinot Noir/Mondeuse blend (I don't think they make it any more) was the best cheap wine I've ever had.

Maybe I should start the Jim Clendennon (if I have his name right) fan club. I'm gunning for President.

If you get the fan club up and running, you have my vote for President of the club.

BTW, I forget to mention in my earlier post that the 2003 ABC Santa Maria Pinot is also pretty nice and priced a bit more reasonably at ~$25.

BP

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"