• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molyvos

Ron Johnson

By the way, if anyone wants to recommend Greek tavernas that serve food on about the same level as Molyvos for cheaper, please start (or continue?) a thread on that.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm glad you had a good meal and a good time, Pan. (that smiley baby sounds like a winner. where do we order one of those?)

I'm glad you liked the saganaki, I was afraid I'd played it up too much & the reality would suffer by comparison! I'm encouraged that it held up to the "hype."

The baklava sounds great. I've never tried it. By the time we get to dessert at Molyvos, I'm always too full!

• 2 years later...

A friend and I had dinner at Molyvos the other night. We both ordered a Sea Bass special ($30), which was cooked to perfection — crisp on the outside, tender on the inside, and perched atop a bed of vegetables. I wasn't very hungry, so all I had with it was the house cabernet ($12), which was unremarkable.

Molyvos has settled into a happy middle age. Ruth Reichl was utterly smitten in 1997, awarding three stars. Five years later, Eric Asimov was still enthusiastic, but took the restaurant down to a more realistic two stars.

I have a sense that Molyvos is executing a well-trodden path competently, but isn't doing anything that would make it a destination. Maybe it's because there are a lot more Greek restaurants today in Molyvos's class than there were in 1997.

I used to be a fan of the place until about a year ago. Overall I think that the food is pretty decent, but nothing out of the ordinary. One time however, I ordered the "grilled fish" (may have very well been the same as oakapple's seabass). And while it looked great, it tasted like gasoline. The taste was just awful. I sent it back, and the manager tried it and apologized profusely. Haven't been back since. Not sure what happened to my fish that time, but it kinda killed molyvos for me.

I agree with oakapple's comment that they have a lot more competition, places like Estiatorio Milos (right across from Zegfield) and the new place that just opened on Park Ave. South in the 20s (can't recall the name).

Arley Sasson

I agree with oakapple's comment that they have a lot more competition, places like Estiatorio Milos (right across from Zegfield) and the new place that just opened on Park Ave. South in the 20s (can't recall the name).

Barbounia, on the corner of Park Ave. S. & 20th St., has been open for a few months. We've had a couple of very good meals there. Excellent grilled branzino.

Parea, on 20th, betw. Park Ave. S. & B'way, is opening this week. New York Magazine has a brief description of what to expect: http://www.nymag.com/restaurants/openings/16841/index.html

Barbounia, on the corner of Park Ave. S. & 20th St., has been open for a few months.  We've had a couple of very good meals there.  Excellent grilled branzino.       

Parea, on 20th, betw. Park Ave. S. & B'way, is opening this week.  New York Magazine has a brief description of what to expect:  http://www.nymag.com/restaurants/openings/16841/index.html

Thanks for that... interesting to see so many of these places pop-up. Modern Greek and tapas seem to be the new trend in the city.

Arley Sasson