• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning Ventilation Hood Grease

ned

I changed the lights in the hood over my stove today. Lots of grease up there. Yellow and very tough. How do I clean this? I've tried some pretty convincing solvents and haven't had a lot of luck.

Thanks.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I'l bet a good strong dose of Dawn Power Dissolver would work.That stuff is unreal.

Put on a good coat and let it sit for 10-30 minutes and I haven't seen any baked on grease that didn't wipe right off. And I mean off!

I spray a little on a sponge to clean my hood at home and it stays squeaky clean.

I have some citrus degreaser that I use on my bicycles. I dampen a paper towel with the full-strength degreaser, apply, let sit for 15 minutes, and then the grease wipes right off.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

i find microfibre cloths very effective, and all you need is water! i realise that the cloths have to be washed in detergent to release the grease from them, but i find this easier than using detergents/solvents on the surface to be cleaned because they tend to smear and make an even bigger mess.

A good degreaser like Greased Lightning or simialr product. Amonina will work but the fumes are too strong for me. Use gloves as most of these degreasers are pretty rough on your skin. Avoid fumes as much as possible have good ventilation like open windows or something.

Depending on the material and finish of the hood I would remove it and take it outside and hit it with some serious degreaser like automotive engine cleaner and some agressive scrubbing. If you can heat it up with a space heater or someting that would help the sovents. Like Steve mentioned steam is great too, but not everyone has some kind of steam cleaner. I've used paint thinner, laquer thinner etc before on stubborn baked on grease.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

Thanks everybody. Lots of new ideas.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I remember being early into the "hood thing" and all my chef gave me was commercial degreaser and a SS scrubby. I tore through 18 years orange and gold grease for about an hour before I got mad. Oddly I decided to try a blow torch on it a little, worked pretty well.

By the way, if you have a construction or paint buddy, a pressure washer would be quite handy too.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I'l bet a good strong dose of Dawn Power Dissolver would work.That stuff is unreal.

Put on a good coat and let it sit for 10-30 minutes and I haven't seen any baked on grease that didn't wipe right off. And I mean off!

I spray a little on a sponge to clean my hood at home and it stays squeaky clean.

I just went out and bought some of this stuff. Took the heavy layer of greasy drek right off my oven hood, and I didn't even let it sit for any length of time. I can't wait to see what it does with my old cookie sheets!

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

In the small print on this website, it says:

Dawn Power Dissolver is not intended for use on copper pots, varnished or painted wood, appliance lettering, scratched nonstick surfaces, oven hoods, and dishwasher doors. Please check the back of the bottle for more information, including a full list of appropriate and inappropriate uses

Should we be using this on stainless steel oven hoods? Or are they referring to the enameled kind?

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland