• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomegranate Bistro

We decided to try Pomegranate Bistro in Redmond this evening. A foodie co-worker emailed me earlier this week, saying we really needed to head there for lunch sometime. Hmmm... Today, another co-worker mentioned it. Hmmm hmmm...

The family ended up there early (the curse of dining with a toddler). We sat at a table next to the large windows looking into their catering kitchen. This was effective in keeping the 2yo entralled for the evening. By 6pm, the entire place was filled except for the shared table.

We started with a salad and a warm asparagus/mushroom pie. Both very good. My wife had the salmon, and I had a ribeye. The steak was cooked as requested, and both were simply prepared and more importantly good.

We'll be heading back - I want to try the cassoulet next time.

I posted about this about a year ago when they opened. Sadly, so many good write ups have resulted in not being able to get in the door. Have taken friends/business associates there three times only to be told that the wait is more than an hour.

The food is fantastic. All the firebreads are great. Try the steak sandwich at lunch. My personal opinion is that I would like the ambience to be a little more subdued. It is like you are almost eating in the kitchen (which could be cool) but I wish they would lose the espresso stand that is in full view of the dining room. Very tacky.

Also, they need to be open on Sunday night. Went two weeks ago and did not realize they were closed. From the people we talked to in the parking lot, neither did a lot of other people.

But yes, there is great food in Redmond.

They still have cassoulet on the menu?!  :wub:

So have you had it there? Is it worth the visit? I was day dreaming about this just before lunch, and I almost jumped in the car to get some take out :rolleyes:

Edited by daves (log)

Sadly, so many good write ups have resulted in not being able to get in the door. Have taken friends/business associates there three times only to be told that the wait is  more than an hour.

Agreed -- by 6pm there was a wait at the front door. The curse of dining with a toddler is that we also are blessed with never waiting in lines -- since most sane people don't eat that early :blink:

Yes, the food at Pomegranate is innovative and tasty and a wonderful neighborhood venue. However, I do have a major gripe. They SAY they don't take reservations for less than 6, but that is not exactly the case. We arrived at 5P the start of the dinner service, and requested the table for 2 on the outside wall in the bar area of the bistro. We were told that the table was reserved and we were offered the other deuce by the reception desk. We asked if they would separate one of the other 4 tops and we were told no, so were seated at the one table we didn't want. Not 10 minutes later, one of the 4 tops was separated to make a deuce and a 6 top. Well, there are 2 problems...they either take reservations for less than 6 or they don't and it certainly shouldn't have been a problem to separate a 4 top to keep a couple of neighborhood guests happy. They have now managed to alienate a customer who has now told others about the apparently flexible reservation policy and exhibited an inability to make even the smallest accommodation for a guest VERY early in the evening service.java script:emoticon(':angry:')

smilie

Will we be back? Probably, but after a long cooling off period.