• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confit du porc + synchronicity= eGullet

essvee

forum. Hi guys. Haven't been around for a long while, but I've been curing some pork confit, made P. Wolfert style (original edition), and I have been racking my brains for something different (read: un-bean-related) to do with it. I got an eGullet email and I figured I'd post a topic here. Only to find that two prominent topics are charcuterie and the new edition of Cooking of Southwest France!

Unfortunately, I do not have the stamina to read all 24 pages of these two topics to ferret out any suggestions. I did see M. Ruhlman's suggestion to treat it like a leg of duck confit and saute a good slice of it. Alas, I used country-style spareribs, and I deboned them after poaching to fit them in the pot. So that's right out.

Any way, any suggestions? The stuff has been curing since before Christmas so it should be good and confited. I thought of making ravioli (nah) or perhaps some beggars' purse type thingee with chard leaves (mebbe). I'd love to hear what you good people might have up your sleeve.

Great to be back, yr humble servant, essvee

Edited by essvee (log)

i had the best omelette this morning with braised pork inside. it wasn't confit, but it woulda been killah if it was. (it was killah anyway, but would have achieved an advanced state of killah if it had been pork confit!)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I think it's a good idea to brown the confit of pork in its own fat before adding it to any dish. You "push" up a subtle hazelnut flavor on the outside, while the inside remains moist.

One way you might like it is to serve it at room temperature with a salad of green beans and shredded cabbage mixed with a mustardy vinaigrette.

I

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I made a first course out of my pork confit by putting down a bed of cannellini runner beans, a layer of braised greens, the sauteed confit, crumbled goat cheese, toasted walnuts and chives with a demi glace. If you're beaned out, skip the beans.

Ms. Wolfert, thanks so much for your advice. I will surely do just that. I will as well, I think, make the confit with lentils and chorizo from Southwest France. Does chorizo in this case mean Spanish-style, as in something i could get from the Spanish Table? Thanks again!

There is a Basque-style lean pork chorizo made by Quijote . It's slightly smoked and has plenty of sweet paprika in it. I'm pretty sure The Spanish Table has it. If not, ask for something similar.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.