• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Scone Mix!

scordelia

At the moment, I am totally laid up back in my parents' home with a ruptured achilles tendon. I am in quite a bit of pain and unable to really go anywhere. My parents are being very sweet and indulgent.

The most recent indulgence was scones. My parents were shopping at ALDI (a discount grocer owned by the same folks as Trader Joe's), and saw that for a limited time, ALDI had a scone mix. Given my love of tea food, they decided to buy it and make me some.

The scones are awesome! They have a perfect texture--rich and crumbley, not leaden. My mom doctored up the mix with grated orange zest, but you could add berries, chips, whatever. A box is $1.29 and makes 12 good sized scones.

S. Cue

There's an ALDI in my town, and I hear it was cheap but I've been kind of afraid of it since I've never heard of ANYONE who actually shops there...but if it's got the eG seal of approval, I'm there! Thanks!

P.S. Scordelia, I actually sliced my achilles' with a chef's knife- my worst kitchen battle wound to date- so I really feel your pain. Speedy recovery!

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

Same people as Trader Joe's - now there's a tidbit that I did not know. We are anxiously awaiting our first Minnesota TJ's in a few weeks.

I have shopped Aldi very rarely. It's cash only so it discourages stock ups. I'm the kind of gal who can exist for weeks with $10 bill in the wallet but has a red hot credit card at her fingertips.

That's kinda strange about Aldi's being owned by the same people as Trader Joe's. According to the aldi website (http://www.aldifoods.com/), Aldi has operations in Europe, the United States and Australia. The first ALDI store opened in 1948 in the German town of Essen. And as far as I've read, Trader Joe's started in Pasadena and are still privately owned.

But it is very likely that I am totally wrong! And if so, I might have to check out my local Aldi's!

Aldi's is where I've been buying my powdered sugar from for my cake decorating business for about 20+ years now. Cheaper than local grocers and cheaper than super walmart too.

sewsweet2

http://community.webshots.com/user/sewsweet2

-You can respect & learn from people, even if you don’t like them. Be aware that you can learn something from everyone, because every person in the world knows something you don’t know-

That's kinda strange about Aldi's being owned by the same people as Trader Joe's.  According to the aldi website (http://www.aldifoods.com/), Aldi has operations in Europe, the United States and Australia. The first ALDI store opened in 1948 in the German town of Essen.  And as far as I've read, Trader Joe's started in Pasadena and are still privately owned. 

But it is very likely that I am totally wrong!  And if so, I might have to check out my local Aldi's!

For those of you interested, here's some articles on Aldi and Trader Joe's:

Business Week

Deutsche Welle

Makes no never mind to me, but some people like to only buy American...

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

My daughter was in NC last week and was just today telling me how cool Aldis was....they stayed in a hostel and did all their own cooking for a week of Alternate Spring Break.

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association