• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greasy cake on second try

Sobaicecream

I recently made mini caramel-banana cakes from a recipe that originally makes one large loaf cake. The cakes were so good, I decided to try making the larger, single loaf cake version and was surprised that the texture came out very different. The main problem with the larger cake is that the crumb feels quite greasy. I did a search on eGullet as well as on the Web but can't seem to find the cause for greasy cakes. Does anyone have any guesses as to what happened?

Underbeating made the crumb in one of my recent pound cakes kind of greasy and heavy.

Hi Ling, thanks for replying! And sorry it took me so long to respond. Did you mean underbeating the butter and sugar? Or the batter after the flour has been incorporated?

I'm quite sure she meant the butter and sugar. If you beat it too much after you add the flour, I imagine it would be quite tough. You don't want to develop the gluten too much.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I recently made mini caramel-banana cakes from a recipe that originally makes one large loaf cake. The cakes were so good, I decided to try making the larger, single loaf cake version and was surprised that the texture came out very different. The main problem with the larger cake is that the crumb feels quite greasy. I did a search on eGullet as well as on the Web but can't seem to find the cause for greasy cakes. Does anyone have any guesses as to what happened?

I was trying to think of a solution to this when I read it but I can't think of anything that'll cause cakes to seem greasy, or rather greasier, then usual. Unless..... you used a different brand/version of something, halved or doubled the recipe and made an error with measurements, or mixed the cake in a different way. Could any of these be possibilities?

If you can think of anything, let us know. I made a batch of cakes once -- I'm sure I measured right -- and the crumb was very coarse and oily.

Must admit, the cake was from a mix (not a box -- big commercial bag) to which you add oil and eggs, beat for a few minutes, add oil and water, beat for a few minutes and then pan.

They were icky -- looked like cornbread. Sad to say, I was told "they're fine -- frost em and sell em.." Ick.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

oooh, don't you hate that?

i was recently promoted from waitress to BAKER (i am in WAY ove rmy head now) and my ginger cakes were very oily...not sure why. i was told that "they won't know any better." sigh.

i'm going ot go with ling and say possible underbeating.