• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tibetan cookbook recommendations

chow guy

I have a good friend who is devoted to all things Tibetan and she swears by the Lhasa Moon Tibetan Cookbook. I have been the beneficiary of her cooking from this book - and it was always tasty - and certainly far better than anything I ever ate in Tibet.

hmmmmmnm....yak mince momo....

just had yak milk cheese and honey momo the other day in Lhasa. the smell of yak cheese is quite offensive to most of us. i eat all them all.

never seen beef momo in Tibet. only yak if they have a meat filling.

yak and Tibetans can't be separated.

I've got a slim paperback by Betty Jung called "The Kopan Cookbook". She spent some time in the kitchen of the Kopan Monastery as part of the background for her book. I think it's out of print but you still might be able to find it. I think I've only used it once though....a long time ago but have always meant to use it more. (When I just tried google with "Betty Jung", some of her recipes as well as other Tibetan recipes came up.)

You might find some recipes in books by Alford and Duguid as they've done a lot of traveling in that region.

Hope this helps

jayne